The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering has anyone here made this dish before using pheasant? Ive never had it before but the wife wants us to make it this weekend with chicken. From looking over different recipes it looks like a good way to prepare a pheasant next year!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have done it with pheasant as well as chicken. It will be much better if you pluck your pheasant because you brown the skin before you put in the wine and other ingredients. I also make Catchatori with them. Butcher the whole bird just like you would a chicken, thighs, drumsticks, breast cut down the center of the breast bone and them cut in half and the back cut in half. If you like things cooked in wine you will like it. Use a good red wine, A sangiovise or similar wine.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

Sangiovese based wines are one of my favorites to drink and cook with. Im looking forward to trying this dish.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We made our version over the weekend and will definately make again next season with pheasant. Since we have never had it before I do not know how it compares to a true chef's Coq Au Vin but it had very good flavor. We looked over several recipes and planned our version to our liking first.

As long as you do all your prep and read over a few times before starting it is surprisingly simple to make even with the amount of steps.

Ingredients:
1 bottle of red wine (we used Ruffino Chianti but most recipes call for a french red, Some recipes we saw called for using 2 whole bottle of wine in the dish we only used about 3/4 a bottle)
4 oz panchetta cubed
20 Fresh Pearl onions
6 large button mushrooms Quartered
2 large Carrots Quartered
2 Celery Stalks Quartered
2 Cloves Garlic Quartered
2 Chicken legs and thighs

Flour
Salt
Fresh Pepper
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 Cups Chicken Stock (We had made stock the week before)

5 quart Dutch Oven (we have an enamel glazed one)

Method:
1. Bring dutch oven up to temperature with panchetta, Brown until crispy
Set aside leave any oils in pan.

2. Add pearl onions with some salt and pepper. Cook until golden browned. (8 mins or so) Remove and Set aside with the panchetta

3. In a gallon ziplock add 1/2 cup flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper Shake to fully coat. Brown the chicken until golden, starting skin side down, (we did one leg at a time to prevent crowding the pan) When all chicken is browned remove and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 at this point.

4. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their water. (we also added a little butter to keep some fat in the pan) Remove and set aside with the Onions etc

5. Deglaze the pan with 1/2- 1 cup of your red wine

6. Add Carrots, Yellow onion, Celery,garlic, Bay leaf, thyme, Chicken Stock

7. Put Chicken in pot, and Add more wine (We only used enough to bring the liquid level up so about 1/3 of the chicken was uncovered)

8. Put in oven and cook until chicken is fully cooked. A gentle simmer, Stiring occasionally. Approximately 2 hours.

9. When cooked through remove chicken and put in an oven safe dish. Turn oven off and give it a chance to drop in temp. Put chicken in to stay warm

10. Strain the vegetables out and return the liquid to the duch oven, Place on stovetop and reduce by about a third. Pick out the thyme stems and bay leaf from the vegtables at this time.

11. When liquid has reduced add the panchetta, pearl onions and mushrooms and let them come to temp

12. Add chicken and enjoy. We ate with Egg Noodles.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's a good recipe there. Some hard core Frenchies would soak it in the red wine overnight.

Do you guys ever eat your pheasant medium rare? I was always taught to not overcook the pheasant unless it was going to be stewed or braised as it does dry out and get tough.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not pheasant, but duck breasts.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Chris, try using Salt pork instead of panchetta next time.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, we took some liberties in our version and decided not to soak overnight. My wife is not big on drinking red wine but we use it alot when cooking especially in when making gravy.

My wife did not find salt pork when she was shopping but weplan to use it next time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
John S said:
Not pheasant, but duck breasts.
When I worked in Philly we cooked almost everything medium rare. Pheasant, guinea hens, squab, everything but chicken. I love a good roasted faison medium rare

Great job using the fresh chicken stock, fresh stocks make all the difference.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I made some killer duck breasts a couple of weeks ago(domestic) med rare. I whipped up a orange and crandberry sauce that I pulled out of my head and it was great drizzled over and around the breasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts