The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after 7AM this morning took the dog down to the lake (Beltzville) for a run & swim. I spotted a hen pheasant with what I thought were 5 chicks. Saw her again on the way out, tucked right along the cover at the edge of where the field's mowed. Turns out she has a healthy brood of 9- that's right 9 chicks all about the size of a chukar!

·
Super Moderator
15,035 Posts
We have seen several pheasants with broods here on the game lands of Elk County this year. One of our members saw a hen with seven then went another few hundred yards and saw a hen with six. We have seen at least six different broods on just one section of the game lands. There are several other sections where access is much more restricted but the game lands work crew told me on Friday they had seen a hen with a brood on one of those areas also.

it has been a good winter and spring for bird survival and reproduction.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Last Monday (18th) I was up outside of Kane on a state road and ran across a rooster pickings grit on the road. I have seen many birds there the last 3 years or so from May-August. Always roosters though, never hens. But I don't work in this area during the fall or winter so I'm not sure if this area gets stocked or not. I'm also not aware of any game farms near by and none show up via a Google search. July of 2014 I can across 3 birds all spread out a half mile apart. Lots of farm fields in the area.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the first pheasant brood I can remember ever seeing in my life. It was pretty cool but what I'm really hoping to see is a grouse brood.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Great to hear Ryan.
I have a grouse brood this year. I have seen them 3 times now but when I go to get a photo they don't stick around long enough for a good one. It must have been an early season brood because the last time I saw them in mid July they were all almost adult size and could all fly very well.

Keep looking...

·
Registered
313 Posts
R. S. B. said:
We have seen several pheasants with broods here on the game lands of Elk County this year. One of our members saw a hen with seven then went another few hundred yards and saw a hen with six. We have seen at least six different broods on just one section of the game lands. There are several other sections where access is much more restricted but the game lands work crew told me on Friday they had seen a hen with a brood on one of those areas also.

it has been a good winter and spring for bird survival and reproduction.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sure sounds like it..keep up the good work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.