The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a walk on my lunch break in the woods looking for Morels.I didnt find any this time but I did find some pheasant backs.Lots of them. maybe 6-8 about the size of a small dinner plate. Has any tried them? I heard they were edible but I have not heard anyone talking about how they like them. I like all domestics portabellas shitaki button etc. but I did not like the giant puffball I tried or the hen of the woods I found. how do they taste? I do like morels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I eat them every year. I like the taste but they are kinda chewy, especially if cooked too long. Just cut off the outside edge and use that. Use the knife as your guide as to how much to cut. When it doesn't cut thru easily, then that's how far to cut. Let me know what you think of them.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Never heard of them. Are they possibly called Dryads Saddle as well?

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
They are indeed edible, but then again, you can eat an old leather boot too, and it won't kill you.
They are borderline horrible. Break one apart and you will get a strong smell of watermelon. If you must take the challenge, find one's just starting to grow, say up to 5" or so diameter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a link(i think)to some info and a pic on these mushrooms.
http://mycomagnet.com/p_squam.html
Thanks for the info on the taste. If I have time I will try to get one to taste just to say I have.
I'm desperately trying to find a wild portabella tasting mushroom.
But it is probably easier to go to the store and pick up a pound.
thanks again.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
I'm desperately trying to find a wild portabella tasting mushroom.
I don't harvest them because I can't get past the little white larvae that are always embedded in their cap, but your best bet would probably be picking edible Boletes in Summer/Fall. I believe some European's may call them Porcini's. Look them up.

A good key as to edibility, is to watch how they "bruise" to the touch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have had comestic porcini and i liked them.
thanks for the tip I will look them up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went and picked one yesterday.
It was very chewy and styrofoamy even after I peeled the outside off.But I didnt die or get sick like my wife insisted I would.So I am calling it a success.LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts