The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone explain HOW to get exact results on the PGC's Website?

Topic up above in the General Hunting Forum about Radio Collared Coyotes...

When you go to the PGC Site and enter in the Search space "coyotes radio collared" or "Radio Collared Coyotes"

You get a host of Choices with 1 that looks like it will explain everything on where the Radio Collaring took place and Why...

2009 Press Releases.pdf
... In the early 1990s, our own movement studies documented similar long-distance movement among yearling coyotes that were captured, radio-collared and tagged in northern tier counties of Pennsylvania. In fact, Game Commission biologists tracked coyotes ... OF CAPTIVE GAME BIRDS APPROVED FOR SGLS Release #003-09 PENNSYLVANIA TRAPPER CAPTURES NEW YORK COYOTE Release #004-09 GAME COMMISSION/WILDWOOD PARK TO HOST PROJECT WILD WORKSHOP; GAME COMMISSION/ZOOAMERICA ... New York, in April of 2008. “These types of long-distance movements demonstrate how eastern coyotes were able to rapidly colonize natural habitats throughout Pennsylvania during past decades,” said Dr. Matthew ... (Properties)
\Knowledge Directory\Marketing Sites\Game Commission\File Crawler\Resources\News Releases
but when you click the link provided, you get ALL of 2009 News Releases and the only thing that shows up about Radio Collared Coyotes is...
Release #003-09
PENNSYLVANIA TRAPPER CAPTURES NEW YORK COYOTE
HARRISBURG (Jan. 13) – Pennsylvania Game Commission wildlife officials are gaining new information about wildlife
movements from a State University of New York (SUNY) College of Environmental Science and Forestry research project, as an
eastern coyote was caught in a Commonwealth trapper’s cable restraint in East Stroudsburg, Monroe County. According to
SUNY officials, this particular coyote traveled 150 miles from the site it was captured, tagged and released, near Oneonta, New
York, in April of 2008.
“These types of long-distance movements demonstrate how eastern coyotes were able to rapidly colonize natural habitats
throughout Pennsylvania during past decades,” said Dr. Matthew Lovallo, Game Commission Game Mammal Section Supervisor.
“In the early 1990s, our own movement studies documented similar long-distance movement among yearling coyotes that were
captured, radio-collared and tagged in northern tier counties of Pennsylvania. In fact, Game Commission biologists tracked
coyotes in rural, forested parts of the state moving 35 to 100 miles from their initial capture site.”
William Fancher, of Marshall’s Creek, Monroe County, had set cable restraints for coyotes. On Jan. 8, he was checking his trapline
when he discovered the radio-collared coyote.
“At first, I wasn’t quite sure what to think of the coyote I found in the cable restraint,” said Fancher, who has been trapping
coyotes in Pennsylvania and New Jersey for 44 years. “However, once I realized that this collar may contain valuable data for a
study, I knew I had to turn it in, so I contacted the Game Commission’s Region Office.”
Christina Boser, of the SUNY research team, was extremely thankful for the return of the collar.
“This is the first GPS collar used, and it cost nearly $5,000,” said Boser. “More importantly, return of this collar will enable us to
document dispersal movements of this coyote, as it records the animal’s GPS coordinates once every six hours.”
Game Commission biologists said that, while this may appear to be a unique situation, marked wildlife from neighboring states
show up in Pennsylvania regularly, most notably bears from New Jersey.
“Each year, as part of our annual bear check station operations, we find that a handful of Pennsylvania bear hunters harvest bear
fitted with tags or collars from New Jersey or Maryland,” said Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist. “Conversely, we
have had reports of bears in New Jersey and New York being found with Pennsylvania tags in their ears.”
Such movements are natural and documented in a variety of studies, and reinforce the fact that wildlife do not abide by geopolitical
boundaries, such as state or county lines.
“In a Maine study, young dispersing coyotes traveled 25 to 225 miles from their initial capture locations,” said Tom Hardisky,
Game Commission furbearer biologist. “This is nature’s way of mixing up the gene pool.”
Lovallo noted that dispersal studies – whether focused on coyotes, bear, deer, fishers, elk, turkeys, bats or any of the many other
species that the Game Commission and other wildlife agencies track – enable wildlife managers to better understand wildlife
needs, especially as it relates to habitat, as well as developing population models and understanding interactions with other
wildlife.
The 4.5-year SUNY study, which began in 2007, has three objectives: produce a broad-scale, spatially-explicit estimate of
coyote distribution and abundance across New York State and a survey protocol to assess changes in population status; identify
the important spatial and temporal variables affecting the consumption of adult and fawn deer by coyotes; and, quantify seasonal
diets, movements, and habitat use of coyotes in focal areas. As part of the study, which is funded by the New York State
Department of Environmental Conservation through its share of federal Pittman-Robertson monies, the teams plan to mark up to
40 New York coyotes annually.

There is another link that shows a Report on a study done in 1999/2000...

In the Topic up in the General Forum, they are saying the Radio Collars where done this past winter...

WHY doesnt that show up in a Search on the PGC Site?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I may be wrong, but the radio collared yotes on PI state park were done by a local University. I'm sure with the help of PGC.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

I can see bad things coming out of that documentary film!!

Soft Sad Music in the Back Ground as researcher Carrie Duafala explains that the Female Coyote was killed by a Hunter..

Next thing we are going to see is that clip on PETA and HSUS Websites!

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
wow, total different perception of yotes in Ohio?????? He feels bad for taking a legal animal? She is frustrated because he took a legal animal?
Around here some fat hillbilly would have put it in the paper and been bragging about ruining the study. The person doing the study wouldn't have been surprised because we shoot anything that breathes.

are we really that terrible in PA, after typing that I realize that we just might be, not all, but more than not lately.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Woody,

The site is awful to navigate. I could find things much easier on the old one.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Woody,

The site is awful to navigate. I could find things much easier on the old one.
True dat!

(or as we used to say, "Yes Ma'm, I agree")

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I saw some news clips when the PI study was released and, yes they hinted that the big bad hunter had ruined science and killed a poor dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts