The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new PGC site is still down and not operating completely.
Anyone know when they plan to finish the new site?

So gamelands stuff is accesable?

Figure they would have waited for February when most hunting is over.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Posted this yesterday evening in the thread in General hunting -

Release #127-09

Dec. 15, 2009

GAME COMMISSION WEBSITE IN TRANSITION

HARRISBURG – If you’ve logged onto the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), you probably noticed a significantly new look to the homepage, as well as a new manner in navigating through the various sections. However, as with any transition, the agency’s technical staff continues to rebuild information that its website visitors have come to rely on finding online, and some outdated information will not make the cut.

“We focused on transitioning necessary information, such as the annual digest and migratory game bird brochure, which outlines the ongoing seasons and regulations, over to the new website format first,” said Robert Strailey, Game Commission Bureau of Automated Technology Services director. “Also, we made sure that hunters will be able to report their harvests, as well as those who have a Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) permits.

“Other popular sections, such as the Hunter/Trapper Scrapbook, which features hunters and trappers with their quarry, are on hold, and we have made the decision to drop previous years’ postings and build the new site with photos submitted from the current seasons. Another resource area, our news release archives, eventually will provide access to news releases from 2007 through the present. News releases issued prior to Jan. 1, 2007, will no longer be available online. However, at present, we only have available news releases back to Oct. 27.”

Strailey noted that the transition of the Game Commission’s website from its old Dynamic Site Framework-format to the new Aqualogic format was made necessary because the Office of Administration’s Information Technology Services changed the website development package it provides state agencies to build their websites. This is the second such format change in less than 10 years.

“We encourage the public to be patient as we continue to rebuild and refine our website, which will be more user-friendly and easier to navigate,” Strailey said. “We will be offering new sections to better inform the public about the Game Commission’s wildlife management efforts, as well as its mission to promote hunting, trapping and wildlife viewing.”

# # #

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:

Strailey noted that the transition of the Game Commission’s website from its old Dynamic Site Framework-format to the new Aqualogic format was made necessary because the Office of Administration’s Information Technology Services changed the website development package it provides state agencies to build their websites. This is the second such format change in less than 10 years.

OA doesnt live and die by hunting seasons like we do.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shame to see that PGC doesn't understand its "customer's" needs.

Pa is not the only state with a lousy web site (Including the new). I hunt and fish in a dozen or so states, and most are really poor. Not intutive and lack any really decent search capability.

I was on the BC hunting site this morning, you need to be a computer programer and a lawyeer to understand simple seasons.

Thanks guys for the info. We will just have to wait till when ever they get it up.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Harry what part of, the timing was set by the Governors office of adminstration didn't you understand? Do you really think they gave huntng season even a small thought when they ordered the conversion?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
Shame to see that PGC doesn't understand its "customer's" needs.

Pa is not the only state with a lousy web site (Including the new). I hunt and fish in a dozen or so states, and most are really poor. Not intutive and lack any really decent search capability.

I was on the BC hunting site this morning, you need to be a computer programer and a lawyeer to understand simple seasons.

Thanks guys for the info. We will just have to wait till when ever they get it up.
The PGC didnt have a choice. Did you read the news release?

Jeeze guys complained about the old website now its a new on and guess what , more complaints. Is it perfect ? no but its what we have, OA dictates what and when for websites.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The new site looks good to me. It's more user friendly and easier to navigate. Kudos to the developer. Once they get the missing stuff up it should be good to go.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Itll take a little getting used to, but it seems like quite a nice revamp.

Although I didnt mind the old one either......why does everyone think that a site has to be hi-tech to be good....sometimes basic simple point and clicks work great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
What ever happened to the "if it isn't broke, dont fix it" mentality?

Change always takes some getting used to.

I agree though, I thought the old website was simple and easy to use.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The PGC has really lost touch. Seriously. I mean the late season is coming up, I wanna find some places to take the smokepole for a walk, and there are no game land maps. Wow do they hold hunters is that much disdain? Very frustrating.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Talonracer said:
The PGC has really lost touch. Seriously. I mean the late season is coming up, I wanna find some places to take the smokepole for a walk, and there are no game land maps. Wow do they hold hunters is that much disdain? Very frustrating.
Did you read what JohnS wrote?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Dutch said:
Talonracer said:

Did you read what JohnS wrote?
Yup. So you actually trying to say the PGC never even mentioned to the Governors office that hunting season might not be the best time to do this? Fact is they could care less what hunters think and its frustrating.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
*** After some reading this change has been in the works within the OA IT department since Feb 29 2008***

I like the new portal overall(and any info that I need thats not online yet I have)

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
First of all....the buck stops at the top...when the boss (the Governor/Governor's office) tells you how its to be done....thats how its done.

To make ludicrous comments that the PGC doesnt care about hunters is absolute nonsense and just shows folks total DISDAIN for the agency that actually DOES care and work for the betterment of hunting in PA.

Frustrating should be folks sitting on a computer trying to figure out how theyre going to hunt.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Talonracer said:
Wow with a week away now you are trying to find a place to hunt and want to blame the PGC cause you didn't do YOUR home work before this.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
WCO said:
Harrysigafoo said:

OA doesnt live and die by hunting seasons like we do.
One more time for thoes that cant seem to understand

1 - 17 of 17 Posts