The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GAME COMMISSION OFFERS SEEDLINGS FOR LANDOWNERS;

HARRISBURG – While it may be winter, now is the time for landowners to begin making plans to help wildlife by to planting tree and shrub seedlings offered by the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Howard Nursery, which will begin Jan. 7 through April 19.

“If you are looking for seedlings for ornamental landscaping, look for a private nursery in your area,” said Carl G. Roe, Game Commission executive director. “However, our bare-root seedlings are produced for use to improve wildlife habitat on State Game Lands and private-landowners enrolled in our Hunter-Access Program. These seedlings also are used to help educate Pennsylvania students about wildlife habitat needs through our ‘Seedlings for Schools’ program.

“We also are able to offer a limited number of surplus seedlings for sale to the general public to help with their own private efforts to improve wildlife habitat conditions on their property. This effort is part of our agency’s mission to manage wildlife and its habitat for current and future generations.”

New this year is an improved order form to help guide landowners seeking to create habitat for specific wildlife species, as well as a new “bundle” offering. Bundle offerings include 100 seedlings in a specified mix to benefit deer, game birds and songbirds, as well as riparian and winter-thermal habitats.

The order form and information are available on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us) by putting your cursor on “General Store” in the menu bar at the top of the homepage, then clicking on “Howard Nursery” in the drop-down menu listing and scrolling down and choosing “2013 Seedling Order Form.” (NOTE: If you have problems downloading the order form, you likely need to install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, which can be found doing an internet search and downloaded for free.)

The order form can be completed and submitted on line, or printed out and faxed or mailed. Payments are not due until the order is confirmed by Howard Nursery. For those without internet access, order forms can be obtained at Game Commission offices or various displays or booths at shows in which the agency participates through the spring or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Howard Nursery, 197 Nursery Road, Howard, PA 16841.

“Seedlings are available for purchase by landowners are suitable for a variety of uses as wildlife food and cover, including hard- and soft-mast production, winter thermal cover and riparian habitats,” said Annetta Ayers, Howard Nursery superintendent.

“The Howard Nursery strives to offer the finest available tree and shrub seedlings that best provide for the various needs of wildlife, including food and shelter. All of our stock is inspected annually by the state Department of Agriculture.

Ayers noted that the nursery sells seedlings in units/bundles of 25. Orders of 12 more total units receive discounted pricing. Prices are as low as $3.75 per unit of 25 seedlings (15 cents each). The new bundles for deer, game birds and songbirds, and winter-thermal habitats, sell for $25; the riparian habitat bundle sells for $30.

Some seedling types are on very limited supplies, so those interested will want to call Howard Nursery at (814) 355-4434. Hours of operation are Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Ayers noted that, for evergreens, 1,000 seedlings planted at the recommended tree spacing of eight feet by eight feet will occupy 1.5 acres. Planting space for hardwood trees should be a minimum of eight feet by eight feet and up to 15 feet by 15 feet, depending on species. For hardwoods, 100 trees will occupy one-quarter acre, and 1,000 seedlings will occupy 2.5 acres. The various shrub species can be planted on a six foot by six foot or eight foot by eight foot pattern.

A description of each species available, along with size information, is available on the website under “Tree Seedling Index.” Some of the new native shrubs are available in limited quantities and are expected to sell out quickly. The selection of native trees and shrubs is being expanded annually. With the exception of black locust, all of the hardwoods are grown from seed collected and processed by Game Commission personnel from Pennsylvania sources.

The preferred method of delivery is by United Parcel Service (UPS). Shipping and handling charges do apply. This is very efficient and most orders are received next day. Orders are shipped only Monday through Wednesday to assure delivery for weekend planting. However, orders also may be picked up in person at the nursery once notified the order is ready.

“Due to conditions beyond our control, such as ice and snow, wet weather, frozen ground, we may not be able to ship trees as early as we would like,” Ayers said. “We will do everything we can at the nursery to ensure timely shipping and arrival of trees. Generally, seedlings ship in the month of April.”

For more information, contact the Howard Nursery, 197 Nursery Road, Howard, PA 16841, telephone (814) 355-4434. Hours of operation are Monday thru Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The Game Commission’s Howard Nursery produces bare-root seedlings for wildlife food and cover on State Game Lands. The nursery has been producing and distributing 2.2 to 6 million seedlings annually for wildlife food and cover since 1954. Landowners who have land open to public hunting and are enrolled in one of the Commission’s public access programs are eligible to receive up to 500 free seedlings annually, as available. Those enrolled cooperators with more than 500 acres are eligible for one free seedling per acre enrolled up to a maximum of 10,000 seedlings annually, as available. Cooperators are provided an order form each fall for following spring delivery. Free seedling orders are taken only in the fall through local Wildlife Conservation Officers (WCOs) and Land Management Group Supervisors (LMGS).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I went ther and could not find the order form. Are they not available until after the new year or am I just missing something?

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
Thanks for getting this up on the site Bonzy!

I like the seedling index chart with the new wildlife species helped columns.

Can't wait to get my hands dirty...cutting more trees than I am planting this year, but can't go without getting some.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Excellent new format and very helpful info added.

Can anyone tell us more about those Chestnut Hybrids?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Click on the link posted above and then go to the General Store and click on Howard Nursery. Scroll to the bottom of the page and the bundles are listed there

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Click on Howard Nursery and not on one of the side links.

the Deer bundle includes:

- 25 Sawtooth
- 25 Flowering Dogwood
- 25 assorted flowering crabapple
- 25 American Sweet crabapple

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just ordered some of the Chestnut hybrids. I'll let you know in 8 years or so how they turn out. Hopefully they produce faster than the 10-15 they say. I'll be planting them after dropping them in Soil Moist Plus gel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The phone lines at Howard Nursery are very busy today taking orders. We even put on an extra temporary clerical staff helper this year to better service the customers.

Unless you need to call due to ordering limited quantity items, please remember you can submit the order form on the website as well by clicking the "Submit by e-mail" button in the lower left corner of the form. Someone from the Howard Nursery staff will call to confirm with you.

If you have problems getting thru please be patient and try calling back.

Keep the orders coming. The wildlife of Pennsylvania thank you.

Dave Gustafson
Forestry Division Chief
PA Game Commission

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks for everything you guys do Dave. I have always been pleased with both the service and quality of my orders in the past. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Heck, it was nice just to talk to someone NOT from India. LOL. Super nice person I talked too. She helped explain everything very well. This was my first time using Howard Nursery but won't be the last.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Order placed to day, finally got thru at about 2:00. Thanks for all you guys do at the Howard Nursery. When I called Red Oaks were sold out, everything else I ordered they had.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do you know what the extra shipping fee is for out of state residents is and when they say trembling aspen is that the same as 'quaking' aspen?

Thank you

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quaking and trembling aspen are the same thing (<span style="font-style: italic">populus tremuloides</span>). Big tooth aspen would be different(<span style="font-style: italic">populus grandidentata</span>).

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, but as long as you're not wanting to order any of the new (printed in red) stuff, you can fill in the quantities of what you want, add your address/contact/shipping info, then hit the "email" button on the lower corner of the form. That put my information in a data file attached to an email, and I just had to hit "send".

Seemed to work, but since I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, can't say 100%

1 - 20 of 20 Posts