The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a presentation yesterday on the game farm program. Changes made the last year are all great changes and should make Pennsylvania's pheasant hunters happy. Those changes are:

1. Increasing of release from 100k to 200K (a)
2. No release of hens in rooster only areas (b)
3. Increasing in-season releases from 1 to 3

(a) The plan is to try and improve efficiency and go to 250K with minimal additional cost.
(b) except for the youth hunts

Now is a good time to consider hunting pheasants again. If you do, think about adding another hunting partner to the group. A four legged one with a good nose will make your hunting much more enjoyable if you spend some time working with them.

·
Super Moderator
2,557 Posts
Hi Lynn,

Can you provide an explanation for 2b, releasing hen pheasants in rooster only areas for youth hunts?

-DAP

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I second dap's question, but this is good news. Now if we could get a late season in the southern half of the state.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
This is good to hear. And I would also like to see a late season in the southern half of the state.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dap said:
Hi Lynn,

Can you provide an explanation for 2b, releasing hen pheasants in rooster only areas for youth hunts?

-DAP
I can give the PGCs reason. They want young hunters to see hens so they can see the difference and learn to identify the difference in a flushing bird so if they hunt in a rooster only area they will not shoot hens. I personally don't agree with the idea but it took a long time to get the release of hens in rooster only changed, I'm just celebrating the change for the positive. I also agree with a late season statewide as long as areas around WPRAs (WMUs)offer protection to hens. I'll forward the request for the statewide late season to some folks. The end of youth hunt hens will take some work.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I understand hens for the youth hunt. I also see everything as steps of progress. Hens should absolutely have protection in and near WPRA's. To much hard work and has been put into wild pheasants to let anything detrimental happen to those hens. I would love to see the WPRA's become a roaring success. I can only hope that someday I will be able to chase wild PA longtails like my Dad used too!

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
YAYYYYYYY !!!

FINALLY, come to their senses. I clammored, and was more vocal this past year on this issue, after getting back to Pheasant Hunting a bit ( a slight bit I may add), since hunting the mix of wild/stocked years ago. With the cost of raising the resource, it made NO sense to put out hens that A). are proven to not have much success breeding, B). will almost always turn into predator meal. MY identification holds no water. If that were the case, keep hens off-limits in MY Pheasant season, then let the Hens be taken when adult season starts. This is a great job by the Commissioners. They actually HEAR what we are saying, and more importantly, TAKE ACTION. I'm starting to like the current sitting commissioners more and more.

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
I also want to add. As I stated in other threads, I believe their ration of Hen/Rooster stocked per WMU is off, way off. Not sure why, but.... We flushed about 1/2 of the listed Hen allotment in 1 day on the Claysville and Taylorstown Gamelands.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
does the PGC buy chicks or hatch eggs?
I can see how buying hen chicks would be a waist of time and money..
but if your hatching eggs I don't see how you could sex them before hatch.
in this case your gonna end up with hens and you might as well put them in the field despite the low survival rate.
if kids can get something positive out of it great,if a few survive and reproduce even better

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
Saw a presentation yesterday on the game farm program. Changes made the last year are all great changes and should make Pennsylvania's pheasant hunters happy. Those changes are:

3. Increasing in-season releases from 1 to 3
Don't they already do this?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
if they do in fact hatch there own pheasants there will be no getting away from the hen problem.
no matter what they do they will end up with hens , most likely more hens then cockbirds.

if you wanted to release 250,000 male birds , then you'd prob need to raise more then a half million pheasants,
or you'd have to start culling hen chicks after hatch

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The chicks are sexed immediately after hatching, not that hard to do.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I know you can sex them right after hatching.
does that mean the PGC kills off the hen chicks?

that would eliminate the hen problem.
if they don't ,besides releasing them what can you do with them?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts