The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received the latest PA Outdoor News. On the front page is a story that Rep. Martin Causer (R) Potter County is looking for co-sponsors for proposed merger legislation.

Any thoughts on this?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
6,450 Posts
makes way too much sense....no chance the powers that be would ever let anything that makes sense go thru
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
I don't oppose it as long as DCNR is not part of the merger.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,844 Posts
This gets studied at least once every ten years.

They have spent millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars studying their over my lifetime and career, yet it ALWAYS comes out the same way. It will not save any money or provide better service to anyone. It would just make one bigger agency with more people in it instead of two smaller agencies with fewer people.

The only real reason the Legislature has ever looked at it is to see if the sportsmen of this state have gone brain dead enough yet to allow them to strip both, or either, agency of their funding. Once they can successfully pull that off they will be able to control the purse stings for every function of the two self funded agencies, including using Sportsmen dollars to fund any state spending plan they come up with even if it has nothing at all to do with Sportsmen interests.

Dick Bodenhorn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
I believe the study found decent savings and the ability to provide the same level of service with less employees since quite a few of the positions would be redundant by merging both agencies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,849 Posts
EXACTLY why I said politicians should stay out of it. Neither agency is funded with money from the general fund so a politician does not even have a dog in the fight. As soon as a politician would dictate this, it would open pandora's box in which things that no sportsman would like will follow. VERY BAD IDEA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
The thing is it is the PGC asking the legislature for a license increase to shore up their budget. Fish is also struggling with budget. If merging the two together saves some money, as the study found, why not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,849 Posts
For as long as there has NOT been a license increase fro the PGC, it is entirely reasonable and long overdue for them to get one. If that sures up their budget, then why the need for any merger???
i don't want any politician deciding anything for either agency. That is a very slippery slope at best to go down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
I don't support a license increase until the legislature fixes the broken public pension system. The majority of a license increase will go to unsustainable pensions and benefits. If both agencies can save some dollars by a merger, I prefer that route until the pension issue is corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,170 Posts
R. S. B. said:
Once they can successfully pull that off they will be able to control the purse stings for every function of the two self funded agencies, including using Sportsmen dollars to fund any state spending plan they come up with even if it has nothing at all to do with Sportsmen interests.

Dick Bodenhorn
If that happens, I will do all of my hunting in NY and OH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Give the politicians control and sound wildlife management practices are out the window! The best thing that never happened to both fish and game is that they were organized as independent agencies. Game hasn't had a license increase for forever because they won't follow the misguided wishes of the pols. Imagine what would happen if the pols had control. How about fracking money to Philly mass transit. Or maybe SGL's sold off to support student load forgiveness.
Just because PA is the only state left with separate Fish and Game doesn't mean PA is wrong. It very well could be that we're the only state that has it right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,849 Posts
dpms said:
I don't support a license increase until the legislature fixes the broken public pension system. The majority of a license increase will go to unsustainable pensions and benefits. If both agencies can save some dollars by a merger, I prefer that route until the pension issue is corrected.
Do you refuse to pay local, state and federal taxes due to mismanaged spending as well? That is splitting hairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
R. S. B. said:
The only real reason the Legislature has ever looked at it is to see if the sportsmen of this state have gone brain dead enough yet to allow them to strip both, or either, agency of their funding. Once they can successfully pull that off they will be able to control the purse stings for every function of the two self funded agencies, including using Sportsmen dollars to fund any state spending plan they come up with even if it has nothing at all to do with Sportsmen interests.

Dick Bodenhorn
The current proposed bill being discussed here by Causer specifically states the merged agency would remain independent as it is now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,849 Posts
R2D2 said:
Give the politicians control and sound wildlife management practices are out the window! The best thing that never happened to both fish and game is that they were organized as independent agencies. Game hasn't had a license increase for forever because they won't follow the misguided wishes of the pols. Imagine what would happen if the pols had control. How about fracking money to Philly mass transit. Or maybe SGL's sold off to support student load forgiveness.
Just because PA is the only state left with separate Fish and Game doesn't mean PA is wrong. It very well could be that we're the only state that has it right!
Excellent post!!! And very well stated. Way too many people fail to see what is really here. I am certainly not going to say we are the only state who has it right, but without question, PA is NOT wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
kudu58 said:
Do you refuse to pay local, state and federal taxes due to mismanaged spending as well? That is splitting hairs.
I have no choice but to pay taxes that have already passed. I oppose new taxes and fees if most will go to shoring up unsustainable pensions and benefits of the public sector workforce. In Pa, we have a huge problem and it is bankrupting the state. This problem needs addressed and corrected.

A merger can save some dollars and help the bottom line. That is my preference over increased license fees when most of the revenue will go to unsustainable obligations that the legislature keeps kicking down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,921 Posts
R2D2 said:
Give the politicians control and sound wildlife management practices are out the window! The best thing that never happened to both fish and game is that they were organized as independent agencies.
I think some here are missing what this bill is. It is a merger of our game agency and our fish agency into one independent game and fish agency.

I am a huge advocate for our game and fish agencies or a merged agency remaining independent. In fact, I called Causer out on live TV for his meddling in game and fish with other bills that were meant to politically influence regulations.

This bill does not change the independent status of the proposed agency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
How many times did that get introduced as a bill in the legislature.
Its the legislature. Mergers don't always mean success. It's the government.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top