The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a post card today from PGC asking me to participate in a muskrat survey. I previously filled a a fur harvesting survey on line last spring. Those who reported catching rats got the additional survey. It inquired about counties, numbers, bank den sites, houses etc.

They asked if I would save carcasses this season for biologists. I replied I would, although bloody rat carcasses do make great bait for about everything. I got a bunch of beaver meat froze so I don’t think I’ll need any rat meat.

Boy I wish we had the rats like we did when I was a kid. Maybe they can figure something out with the study.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
They found contriceptive drugs in the fish from the rivers around Pttsburgh. There's your starting point.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Owls have been hard on them. Mink get them too, but at least mink can be controlled. Maybe they should be tracking the predators, to see what they are eating. A few years back I believe the study said that even though waters are now cleaner, muskrats are way down in numbers. I believe that that study blamed a large part of predation on owls. I guess when they are not killing turkeys and rabbits, they kill what few muskrats are left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts