The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:54 pm Post subject: Attn: PA Beaglers-Meeting with PA Game Commission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday, June 29 staff and members of the Pennsylvania Game Commission have provided time to sit down and discuss issues related to dogs, training, clubs, and hunting with hounds. The meeting will start around 2:00 (shortly after the end of the scheduled Game Commissioners' meeting). We will be meeting in the auditorium of the Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg Headquarters of the Commission.

Beaglers, Fox and Coyote chasers, and nite hunters have all been invited. The meeting is open for all, and it's a good reflection on our various groups if we have ample representatives (YOU) show up.

This year we are scheduled to talk about recent targeting of hunting hounds and shooting incidents. We also want to discuss changes to the regulations and laws on training areas.

If you have never been to one of these annual meetings, you might enjoy it. Just as with other government agencies we hear the "We'll look into that" thing, but in recent years we've gotten a good ear from the Game Commission. Your involvement/attendance this year might make the difference we need.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Perfect. Put it in the middle of the week so most working folks cannot make it. I would love to be there. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
wish i could make it...i know too many coon hounds shot off the tree the past 2-3yrs and thats going to be their main topic...good to see they are listening and caring...

·
Registered
24,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pa houndsmen [Re: RidgwayHunter]
timberdoodle timberdoodle
Honored

Loc: Bradford Co. Pa Yop, Fox & coyote worried about removing collars and shooting dogs PGC enacted stronger language for interfering with hunt which carries a higher penalty. However som DA's rejuecting prosecution on idiotic grounds of dogs were trespassing. ???

Beaglers looking for uniformity in rabbit trapping permits as it varies throughout the regions.

Nite hunters told about the shootiung incident in Armstrong County resulting in jail time and approx 20K in fines & restitution.

Looking for change in law to allow dog hunting or at least dog training on bear which would take legislative action.
Not holding out a lot of hope for that one.

Would like to have PGC consider separating cat hunting and cat trapping seasons which at present run with muzzy season. Dog guys are concerned for their dogs getting shot or caughtin cable restraints. Feel it would be better for both the trappers and the dog men. Didn't know where the predator callers would fit in to that.

Looking to include bobcat hunting with dogs on Sundays during the three week season. Looked ok to Bureau of enforcement and wildlife fur bearer biologist but also needs Legislative action

BUT THE GREAT NEWS FOR THE BLOOD TRACKING GUYS IS THE PGC GAVE THEIR APPROVAL FOR USE OF LEASHED DOGS TO BE USED FOR WHITETAIL DEER RECOVERY TO GO FORWARD IN THE LEGISLATURE!!
This was decided during the meeting with the Commissioners and announced to the hound group.

Beaglers thanked the PGC for the addition of the Youth Hunt and the extension of the three week late season. Offered to give the Rossleffler class an outing with various types of hunting dogs. At one of the Beagle Clubs or whereever they would like.

Meeting was VERY well attended with good representation from the various hound groups Along with the Director of Enforcement, Carl Roe, and Commissioner Putnam.

ps I didn't take notes so this is from my head...don't take it to the bank!!

Edited by timberdoodle (Wed Jun 30 2010 08:16 PM)

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Just wondering how many of the folks who were upset about the cat season w/ hounds needing to be later and/or later and split didn't procrastinate and actually got around to joining the PA fox and coyote hunters Assoc. I would hope most of you have. The PA State Fox and Coyote Hunters Assoc is one of the main reasons you probably be hunting cats in a later season next year (and one of the main reason you'll be able to do it with #4 buck) and the reason you may be able to prosicute should your recovery collars be removed by some knucklehead, and the reason our recovery collars are actually legal for recovery purposes when they actually were not in the very recent past, and the reason houndsman have such a terrific relationship with the PGC in general, which in a sport that has many detractors and a smaller base than other types of hunting is a Godsend and hard earned and hard maintained. If you haven't joined, please consider it. A great group of folks who do a tremendous amount of real practical good for houndsman in PA, can't tell you how much you and your family, especially your kids would enjoy the PA fox and Coyote hunters family day each June. Anyone needing more info can PM myself or CasB and we'll be glad to steer you in the right direction. Good hunting folks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a versatile dog guy who owns a Deutsch Drahtaar. I have been following the leashed blood tracking for wounded deer and there is a hold up in the legislature for it. The Chairman of the Game and Fisheries committee is not for it. The following representatives have co sponsored the bill which is titled HB 2526. Reps. Pyle, Creighton, Cutler, Ellis, Grove, Hanna, Moul, Peifer, Readshaw, Seip, Siptroth, Swanger, and Vulkovich. Please contact Rep. Staback of Lackawanna county. The session begins in Jan. so let's get to work now on the others. One or two people calling won't make a difference. I am working on passing the word onto the versatile dog world also.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have meet with Rep. Haluska (D) who is the Majority Vice Chair and he gives it no priotity. I talk to him often about issues on the committee table, seems like this committee could care less. He lives one block from me and I see him often and keeping pounding issues into him just dosen't care. Maybe this November the committee make up will change.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
What sort of animal shoots a person's pet? I understand it's legal IF they are attacking big game, but you should have to be able to prove that beyond a reasonable doubt, and be subject to animal cruelty charges and be forced to pay restitution for said animal equal to the amount of replacing it at the show quality of the breed. It's totally unacceptable. To many of these jerks believe that it's OK to shoot a family pet merely for suspicion(in their pea sized brains) of running a deer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts