The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,804 Posts
It will be interesting to see the breakdown of males to females and cubs to adults.

It will also be interesting to see what effect this has on the total bear harvest for the year. Many of the bears harvested in these earlier seasons would have been harvested in the regular bear season so at this point it is very difficult to say what effect this season will have on the future of both bear harvests and nuisance bear complaints.

It was essential that they harvest more of our bred sows if they wanted to reduce or even stabilize the bear population. In the past the bred females were pretty much all denned before the bear season. Finding that correct breaking point of harvest on the bred sows might take a few more years of harvest management adjustments though. Time will tell.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some people thought the Saturday opener was going to desimate the bear population. That was 10 years ago and it continues to increase. As usual, the PGC was far to conservative, with bears, like they are the favored species in this state.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So why didn't you go hunt inline? I'm honestly tired of hearing how the early non rifle seasons hurt the regular rifle seasons. Instead of complaining, take advantage of that early season and go hunt with an inline.
Whether you're tired of it or not, doesn't make it less true.......a large harvest in the early season does take away opportunity in the later rifle season.

Sure, some people have the means to get more time off work, to afford other weapons, etc. And that is fine. But the fact remains, large early season harvest does in fact remove opportunities for the later seasons. Period.

·
Registered
366 Posts
An early season is more of an opportunity to Hunt and harvest, not less. Instead of taking off for rifle season, take some time off work in an early season. I also worked all through the early season this year and my plans for hunting several weeks of it went out the window, but that was my choice to work instead of hunt. And if you only get a week or two of leave and can’t burn any vacation to hunt, that early season gives you a couple days off a week to go hunt. Early seasons are also great for taking your kids out. Whether it’s archery or muzzleloader, it teaches them great hunting fundamentals of patience and shot placement. Along with that, there’s less pressure most of the time, the animal isn’t as skittish, and the woods are just overall quieter.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stop The Complaining

It's called HUNTING.
So what if there is a lot of small Bear being harvested.Its part of hunting and it is legal.
I know if you bought a Bear license, you planed on hunting all the season, not just one, for all the season's you had a weapons for.
So stop crying and belly aching "The early season hunter shot my Bear".
Go buy an inline or a bow, Practice with them and then you can be out there for all the seasons.
Shoot what ever size Bear you want, and quit complaining about what some one else Legally Harvested
Have a good day and hunt safe.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Too many 35-75 lber being taken..the inline season really hurt the numbers..like everything else we are ruining what we love !!
Exactly how did the early season hurt the numbers?
Shooting a bear in that weight range has nothing to do with early seasons. Those same guys would have probably pulled the trigger on a smaller bear regardless. I’ve seen bear drives where every bear was shot at, regardless of size. And some hunting clubs will do it specifically because they don’t want the bears on the property. No, I’m not degrading anyone for shooting a small bear, it’s actually quite good eating.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I see the top ten biggest bears were from 623 pounds to 813 pounds. That is some big black bears. Is there another state that produces black bears like this? Alaska maybe?

Reactions: Huntered

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't care about the early season, personally I hunted it myself if your serious about bear hunting you need to take every advantage you can, but I don't feel it needed to be State wide maybe just in portions of the State where the population is a little higher thene other's jmo..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts