The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without license hike, Pa. fish programs to be slashed: John Arway - Opinion - GoErie.com - Erie, PA

prices could double....

However, these and other critical services are in danger of being cut or reduced if the state House of Representatives fails to pass Senate Bill 30, which would grant the PFBC the ability to initiate the first fishing license increase since 2005.

We have cut spending in large part by reducing staff from a high of 432 to 370. At the same time, the value of a fishing license adjusted for inflation has dropped to about $16.25, while fish production costs have climbed dramatically. The true cost of today’s fishing license adjusted for inflation would be $37.18. At $22.90, today’s license value is a real bargain for Pennsylvania anglers.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'm MORE than willing to pay more for a fishing license. Same goes for a hunting license. We need to support the PFBC and PGC. I love hunting and fishing so much I would easily pay $50 for each license. You get what you pay for guys. If paying more means better programs, more officers in the field, and better studies then I'm all for it!

·
Administrator
14,524 Posts
You probably won't see any license increase for fish and boat or the Game Commission this session.

·
Banned
163 Posts
i'm more than willing to pay more for a fishing license. Same goes for a hunting license. We need to support the pfbc and pgc. I love hunting and fishing so much i would easily pay $50 for each license. You get what you pay for guys. If paying more means better programs, more officers in the field, and better studies then i'm all for it!
you can always make a donation of any amount when you buy a liscence ... Do you?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I'm MORE than willing to pay more for a fishing license. Same goes for a hunting license. We need to support the PFBC and PGC. I love hunting and fishing so much I would easily pay $50 for each license. You get what you pay for guys. If paying more means better programs, more officers in the field, and better studies then I'm all for it!
I agree with you and Id pay more too. Only probably is most people out there are not in the same frame of mind. You already have people contemplating or have quit hunting due to not seeing deer. Ones that have been on the fence would probably be pushed over by an increase. I wonder where the tipping point is for most everyday people that hunt and fish?

If you have an increase in cost of licences but a decrease in the number of contributors everything could be a wash with little or worse no revenue increase. As always the loyal folks get left holding the bag

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i quit buy a fishing license when they robbed us with the lake erie stamp.it was suppose to be temporary but became permanent. i never fished that much anyway.

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
License increase bills have passed the Senate in the past two sessions, with little opposition. Once they get to the House, no action.

There are scarcely any House members that still hunt and fish these days, compared to the number that did years ago.

That relative handful of members that still do, but also tend to oppose just about anything either wildlife agency asks for, are the major impediment to properly-funded agencies.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I'd like to know WHERE they stock 40 million warmwater fish ? I guess some of those are traded to get hybrid/striper fry which seem to get stocked every other year in a few lakes. About the only fish they stock on a yearly basis are catfish, walleye and musky(they do throw in some bass or panfish every once every 20 yrs). They have already eliminated walleye and musky stocking from many lakes here in the SE - heck they even cut cats on 1 local lake. There are 2 abandoned PFBC launches in my area(1 the dam breeched(96) and the water is 10' lower the other one a chain was installed and it has reverted to nature over the last 10yrs).

What other "services" can they cut ?? Enforcement there is little of that now... for every guy they catch there are 100 they don't catch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts