The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Rober,
Good plumbing tools no matter the type, have always been
an investment, the trade is expensive no doubt about it.
If you had to weld your pipes, you would find those crimping tools seriously in-expensive, try purchasing a good
Welding machine that welds Tig, Mig and Arc some time.
Each trade has its expense, plumbing and Welding trades are
definitely expensive.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Rober said:
I just re-plumbed my camp with pex. Pipe and fittings are fairly resonable in price, however if you buy the "good" tools to crimp the bands you can expect to pay alot for them.
Years ago my plumbing sub-contractor bought the less expensive pex tools but soon upgraded. I got his hand-me downs lol. They work okay for occasional use but probably would not stand up to everyday use for very long.

I remember him complaining about the cost of the "good" tools...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Drag said:
if you do use PEX, do not air test it. An unpressed fitting will fire like a bullet.
With water it will do the same except make a mess. If you are all framed up and doing final rough in testing it can cause wood to warp from the water. If only doing water it still might hold and let loose after you have carpet and drywall up. Making a bigger mess. Trust me air it up to save the headaches.

·
Registered
743 Posts
im a contractor by trade and i installed pex through camp it holds up quite well with the cold in winter, but and this could have been stated before but i did not read all post, pex lines can get sags in it VERY easy which will keep it from being fully drained. now i leave my water on until our last trip up camp during deer season. we have yet had any problems. when talking to our plumber we asked him about the pex and he said that the pex does actually expand with the temperatures. we only installed pex in the end because the plumber supplied all the sharkbites and line. had he not we would have ran pvc again due to the cost factor

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
MadHunter86 said:
Drag said:
if you do use PEX, do not air test it. An unpressed fitting will fire like a bullet.
With water it will do the same except make a mess. If you are all framed up and doing final rough in testing it can cause wood to warp from the water. If only doing water it still might hold and let loose after you have carpet and drywall up. Making a bigger mess. Trust me air it up to save the headaches.
For the size of the average camp, it would be immeadiatly noticeable if there is a leak. I've yet to see one burst with a water test, they will seep or spray for the most part. Just finished up an 87 unit apartment building.

Using pex, there will be minimal fittings. So the worry about water leaking during the final test will be minimal. Using a manifold, you could 'homerun' all the lines to the fixtures.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those using pex for hydronic heating be aware that there is a difference between domestic water pex and hydronic heating pex. The heating pex has an oxygen barrier built into it.

As a plumber I could have used any material for my water lines, I chose copper because I wanted positive drainage to a single valve, this would have been impossible with plastic water lines unless you put a hanger every foot or so. Even cpvc will sag between hangers over time.

Yes in todays economy I stand the chance of my plumbing becoming someone elses scrap, but I'm not going to use what I consider to be an inferiour product out of fear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
sjfl- they always said " a real plumber doesnt use pex" that could and is probably true considering everything of this nature i do is pex. i love it. i have a plumber friend who yells at me all the time. " why didnt you use copper?" because i dont wanna make somebody rich by stealing all my plumbing. so yes, pex is awesome tho

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
when you guys drain the water lines at camp , sags or no sags will not matter , all you got to do is blow air thru the lines, you can even take to camp a holding tank of 90 psi air that will be enough to blow the hot and cold lines out, this is what we do all the time, on winter plumbing jobs,

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
dstewart said:
im a contractor by trade and i installed pex through camp it holds up quite well with the cold in winter, but and this could have been stated before but i did not read all post, pex lines can get sags in it VERY easy which will keep it from being fully drained.
Especially the hot side when the line gets warm!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
65slinger said:
sjfl- they always said " a real plumber doesnt use pex" that could and is probably true considering everything of this nature i do is pex. i love it. i have a plumber friend who yells at me all the time. " why didnt you use copper?" because i dont wanna make somebody rich by stealing all my plumbing. so yes, pex is awesome tho
I use copper when I have to or when the customer chooses to. Given the choice, nearly all customers choose pex because of the cost difference.

Copper is a good product, but my plumber spends a lot of time replacing older copper water lines after "hard" water eats pin holes in them. That is not a issue with pex.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've used plenty of Pex, just not on MY plumbing. LOL

Yea, we could always blow out the lines with compressed air, used to do that before I reran all the plumbing. It was a hassel, hence why I took the time to pitch all the lines back to a single valve. I go to camp to enjoy myself.

"replacing older copper water lines after "hard" water eats pin holes in them. That is not a issue with pex."

Pex has it's own set of problems and hasn't been in use as long as copper, for all possible problems to surface. One problem I do know of is the tendancy of pex to "rub through" where it goes through structural members and floors. I've also replaced my fair share of kinked lines when "Joe Homeowner" couldn't get water to a fixture.(I always wonder how those passed inspection)

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
As my plumber told me, the main problem with pex is the grit/rust in the water abrading the brass fittings from the inside. Consider a whole house filter for such systems. They are cheap.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts