The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if any of you guys use pex pipe for your camp, and if so how does it handle the extreme cold when no one is at camp? I realize it needs drained, but how do the clamps handle the cold to warm when camp members show up and heat the place up?
Thanks...

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Do your self a favor. Use PVC.

Every generation of the PEX style pipe fails. Then the letters from the class action suits start rolling in.

With PVC you have a easy install and easy repair system if ever needed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
PVC would crack/burst long before PEX would. PVC isn't even an approved for potable water inside a home. Copper/CPVC/Pex would all need to be drained if the cabin isn't heated during the winter.

I'm assuming by clamps, you are talking about is the rings that hold the fittings to the pipe. Pex is suppoised to last 50 years, the same as copper.

If you had the money, I would do copper. If not, then I would choose PEX over CPVC(Flowguard Gold) for you application.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I have pex in my camp and its better them copper with extreme cold temps. I would not use pvc unless it was a drain line. I am a pipefitter by trade.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Most of the plumbing inside my camp is Quest (gray flexible plastic/compression fittings). It takes more punishment than copper, easier to install and fairly bullet proof.

Been there since the mid 80s and the only problems I've had, were problems with "too much help" from others, that messed with my winter draining system. When I've set it up to drain after deer season and no one closed a valve afterwards, no problems.

Even with a few small problems, only had to redo the one or two joints that had popped apart a few times and we're good to go again. Never had a piece of it freeze/break yet.

Only problem: Not sure if they still make it? The hardware store near camp still carries the fittings, though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quest pipe is no longer made because of the all the house that were ran with it had so many leaks and lawsuits that followed. Quest does make push fit fittings still but not the gray flexible pipe. Pex is the way to go. Cheaper than copper. Won't corrode like copper. Also a heck of a lot easier to fix. As long as you drain it you will have no problems with it. I ran our cabin in Pex and never had a prob yet. I'm a HVAC/plumber by trade and Pex is the way to go.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
IIRC, the Quest suits stemmed from those worthless copper crimp ring connections?

I used their compression fittings at camp, because they're easy to take apart for draining, but eventually just drained the system into two outside hydrants.

Pex came about long after I got out of new construction and just concentrated on rental property maintenence, so I've never used any yet. But might use it to replace a bad copper hot water line here at the house?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentelemen,
Take the advise of the pipefitter he has been trained in all this technology and uses it everyday in his trade.
All my water lines are copper and all my drainlines are PVC or old copper. Here in Potter/Tioga unless you heat your place in the winter, you must drain your pipes, no matter what you build with, even Pex or eventually its going to freeze and burst. Our place is heated in the winter including the pump house.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm also a plumber by trade. Very good advice on going with pex. I've been using it since it came out, didn't trust it at first because of the Quest junk of the 80's. I'm sold on it now. Cheaper and faster than copper, thieves dont steal pex.Plus, it's advertised to expand up to 4 times it's original size from freezing before it bursts.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
well you no i was going to give my 2 cents on this one, go with pex pipe the red and blue stuff, i use miles of the stuff, half inch all the way to 1 inch,in condos, in 700,000 thousand dollar homes, denist offices, anywhere everywhere, been a plumber for 29 yrs ,seen it all, copperway to much money, plus gets stolen all the time, glued pvc a joke, cracks, pulls apart, forget it, grey quest forget it, law suits, plus fittings cost and just no good, have a problem with pex cut it crimp it done, i put 90psi of air in it before they drywall over it let air in it, for 2 hrs never a problem, just one thing, USE BRASS STAB FITTINGS NOT THE JUNK PLASTIC ONES, PLASTIC ONES CAN AND WILL CRACK AND EGG SHAPE IF YOUR CRIMP TOOL IS NOT SET FOR RIGHT PRESSURE, BRASS FITTINGS THE WAY TO GO. ANY AND ALL PIPES WILL FREEZ , ITS WHEN THEY THAW WHAT MATTERS, GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wasn't in the trade when quest pipe was around but from what I'm told by many old plumbers is that the plastic fittings would pop out of the pipe even with proper tension. The two plastics didn't like each other. I agree with mdmim use only the brass fittings for Pex. I don't trust the plastic ones. I air my pipe up to 85 psi for a test and never had any problems.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
PEX is great stuff, so easy an attorney can install it. Bends around corners, feed between walls, I used pex to put radiant heat under my kitchen floor, piece of cake.

It does freeze mildly without damage. It can burst from freezing, but takes an incredible amount of abuse. More than CPVC or copper. Beware however that infrequently rodents decide to chew on it.

I like the stuff. Used big one inch stuff down to half inch. I purchased a Shark Bite crimper tool that can do crimp the copper rings from 1 inch down to 3/8 on sale at Home Depot for $70 which was a deal. I even use the stuff to run hot water to the old cast radiators for our smaller house.

When I first needed some it was cheaper to buy it mail order and pay shipping. But Lowes here now has a great selection. The smaller hardware stores don't seem to be carrying it or the fittings though. So if you are some distance from a supplier, you need to plan your job right so you weill have everything. No fun discovering you don't have the right fitting and need to drive 50 miles for a $3 fitting.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
+1 more vote for the PEX. about 3-4 years back, I was using camp often enough and was keeping it heated extra long into the winter and my igniter failed during a particularly cold week. The pvc split at least a dozen places. I replumbed the entire place with PEX and have not had one single issue. I bought the tool and used the brass crimp fittings and found it very easy to use and would recommend it for any camp.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I put pex through my camp and won't use anything else now.... and I have worked with copper and PVC. Pex is very easy to work with. I have had zero issues with it. PEX can handle cold temps better than copper, but it can burst too, so it would be best to drain your lines if you aren't going to be there over the winter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
we don't have running water at camp but I have a travel trailer with pex, it goes through the same conditions a camp would and you can't beat pex for that.I use the shark bite fittings for pex they are a little expensive but they work great.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I just re-plumbed my camp with pex. Pipe and fittings are fairly resonable in price, however if you buy the "good" tools to crimp the bands you can expect to pay alot for them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts