The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is actively shopping for a drone that would "stalk hunters," the organization said Monday.

The group says it will "soon have some impressive new weapons at its disposal to combat those who gun down deer and doves" and that it is "shopping for one or more drone aircraft with which to monitor those who are out in the woods with death on their minds."

Read more:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/08/peta-plans-to-fly-drones-that-would-stalk-hunters

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It sure is going to get expensive for them. There is no closed season or bag limit for drones.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Haha, I would shoot that down in a heartbeat!!!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Isn't interfering with a legal hunt against the law? Also, the introduction of these machines could, I hope, also be considered harrasment of wildlife. And would it not be kind of neat to have minature aircraft interceptors flying against these intruders, you know, the kind that shoot pellets? Gee, I see the possability of a whole new hobby. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_KRKm_r-k

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Did'nt they try that a t a pigeon shoot not that long ago here in PA? IIRC, their "drone" took some lead...and was out of commission for awhile.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I'm sure they are going to be camo dipped. We'll never be able to see them.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
As a counter, Environ- metal announced in a press release dated 4/8/13, that they plan to introduce a powerful new tungsten shotshell load which they will market under the name Hevi-Shot Dead Drone. Available at select retailers mid summer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just when you think the stupidity can't get worse here they go again. THere should be a prize for the first one shot down.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">The group says it will "soon have some impressive new <span style="font-weight: bold">weapons</span> at its disposal <span style="font-weight: bold">to combat</span> those who gun down deer and doves"</span>

Sounds more like a threat to me. Are they going to arm these and "engage" hunters in their quest to combat... hunters?

Their language and statement is actually alarming.

Under a set height, they are indeed trespassing. If I recall, the US Supreme Court mentioned in a 4th amendment "Open Fields" case that under 140' was an intrusion.

Also, if you recall, R Paul filibustered on the issue of drones. Then later, the senate had hearings on the issue of military, DHS, and police use of drones and the privacy / intrusion concerns. Also who could or shouldn't have them.

Drones are going to be a hot topic when about anyone can have and use them in the US.

But PETA... that release sounds like they are going to offensive with them. And yes, I do see a lawsuit on hunter harassment if they take that course of action. The only use for the drones if not for hunter harassment is what? Hunting in an open season is a lawful activity.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am just guessing here, but I believe we have better weapons then they do.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If only I could be lucky enough to have one harass me while hunting. That would be awesome. How much would you need to lead a drone - like a grouse or more like a mallard?

I have the perfect spot picked out to mount it on my wall. It'll be the only thing I ever allow in my house that says "PETA" on it.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
looks like somebody beat em to it....

"Seconds after it hit the air, numerous shots rang out," [SHARK leader] Hindi said in the release. "As an act of revenge for us shutting down the pigeon slaughter, they had shot down our copter." He claimed the shooters were "in tree cover" and "fled the scene on small motorized vehicles."

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I may need one of those explosive broadhead tips that was mentioned in the archery forum after all.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Shoot down drone. Set up ambush. Wait. Whoop serious amounts of behind.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
hopefully, they'll send their whole drone fleet to geneva on the first day of duck season. nothing thats airborne doesn't draw at least some fire.....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts