The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when you thought you heard it all. :facepalm:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) asked Maine officials on Wednesday for permission to build a large grave to mark the site of a truck crash that resulted in thousands of lobsters spilling out onto a highway.A mockup of the gravestone shows a lobster with the words, “In Memory of the Lobsters Who Suffered and Died at This Spot.”

PETA wants Maine officials to build gravestone in memory of lobsters who died in truck crash | Fox News

"Countless sensitive crustaceans experienced an agonizing death when this truck rolled over and their bodies came crashing down onto the highway," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in a statement. "PETA hopes to pay tribute to these individuals who didn't want to die with a memorial urging people to help prevent future suffering by keeping lobsters and all other animals off their plates."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/us/peta-lobsters-memorial-trnd/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
It would probably become a tourist attraction.

People would go there, take photos, then post them on Facebook and Instagram etc.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is no act too stupid that the idiots involved in PETA will not do to draw attention to their imbecilic goals of turning everyone in this country and others into a bastion of weenie vegans.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It would be nice if some day in the not too distant future we could do the same for PETA! Wishful thinking I imagine, but a guy can dream.

RIP my little lobster friends.....you were delicious!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Just my luck, the only time a truck carrying food near my house wrecked it was a potato truck. People were picking them up by the bushel! I just couldn't get too excited over potatoes, but lobster might get my attention.

I imagine the owners would be more interested in recovering lobsters than potatoes though.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May happen

Clips from the Maine town newspaper and it appears this is legal & may happen...what kooks. :surprise2:

https://www.timesrecord.com/article...oposed-to-honor-lobsters-killed-in-brunswick/

MaineDOT spokesman Ted Talbot confirmed Wednesday the department has received the letter from PETA and said it is under review.

Generally speaking, Talbot said roadside memorials are handled by state statute, and can stay a maximum of 12 weeks, the same as temporary signs placed within the public right-of-way. A temporary sign can’t exceed 4-feet-by-8-feet and must be labeled with the name and address of the individual, entity or organization that placed it there.

PETA — whose motto reads, in part, that “animals are not ours to eat” — argues that lobsters are intelligent individuals who use complex signals to establish social relationships and can take long-distance seasonal journeys, often traveling up to 100 miles in a year.
PETA Director Danielle Katz argued in the letter to MaineDOT that lobsters have sophisticated nervous system, “and because crustaceans don’t enter a state of shock when injured, they feel every moment of their slow, painful death — whether from being torn limb from limb on the road or at the slaughterhouse or when they’re boiled alive in pots.”

The group states that Switzerland has passed a law making it illegal to cook live lobsters in boiling water without stunning them first.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Just my luck, the only time a truck carrying food near my house wrecked it was a potato truck. People were picking them up by the bushel! I just couldn't get too excited over potatoes, but lobster might get my attention.

I imagine the owners would be more interested in recovering lobsters than potatoes though.
Similar incident with food truck. 45+years ago our scout troop on the way to Resica Falls in a bus when a watermelon truck lost the side stake panel. Load all over the road. 40 scouts helped old guy load back up and all the free broken melons we could take. Eating them the rest of ride to camp.We were hanging out the windows eating melons, the sides and insides of the bus were sticky as well as faces and uniforms. Lobster sounds like a better deal.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am sure if a PETA member was on the bottom of the ocean at room temperature there would be little discussion between lobsters about eating them! No protests no signs, just a long meal source.

Reactions: huntr4477

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Denied by Department of Transportation

Good news, but PETA won't give up!

State officials are throwing cold water on the idea of putting up a 5-foot tall granite tombstone at the site of a lobster truck crash in Brunswick – but animal rights activists behind the idea say they aren’t giving up.

People for the Ethical Treatment for Animals, known for attention-getting publicity stunts, wanted to put the tombstone on the side of Route 1 near Cook’s Corner, but Maine Department of Transportation officials rejected the idea within 24 hours citing safety concerns.

PETA officials responded Thursday by asking the department for the closest possible location – because they plan to put up that tombstone. It’s not the first time the group has created roadside memorials for animals killed in transportation crashes, a spokeswoman said.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/08/30/maine-dot-rejects-request-for-lobster-tombstone/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts