The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has decided that she wants a pet skunk... does anyone know about the laws of owning one in Pa? They sell them at Roger's (a big outdoor fleamarket in Ohio). Would it be illegal to cross the state line? Any info would be greatly appreciated... thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
WHAT?!?!?! Unless the glands are removed I can not think this is actually a consideration of yours. Think this one over and get back to us when the alcohol wears off.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Permits and hassles. However, there are several breeders of "semi" domesticated skunks in the mid atlantic. Skunks require a different owner attitude and regular quality time with their owners. I had one for two years. He was about the best combo of dogs and cats without some of the disadvantages of dogs and cats. Didn't jump up on furniture, chew up shoes, claw furniture, etc. Loved apple cores, chicken bones etc. Litter trained. Loved to have his belly scratched and to be brushed. Mine would walk on a leash around the block. They get somewhat difficult when it is time to trim their claws. He liked to play with a crumpled piece of paper. A raw egg was like candy. he was certainly a better judge of character than I. He hated my ex long before I did. There are genetic lines of skunks raised in captivity for at least 100 years. A popular color is a cinnamon (reddish brown) However, if you work long hours or neglect to spend at least a half hour a day with it, it will revert to a solitary life and won't like human attention any more. The domestic lines of skunks are definitely better than wild caught for temperment etc. Skunks have a hilarious habit of rocking back and forth and stomping their feet when they are alarmed or upset. They will even do handstands (spraying activity) but when de scented, they just flop over and get even more exasperated. Most local offices of personal life intrusion (zoning) have ordinances either prohibiting them outright or creating additional hassles to those from the PGC. Wild animal insurance. (they do have big fangs if they were to bite.) If you have the time, they can be great pets. Definitely however not an outdoor pet. They are mostly nocturnal so keep the house dark during the day and it will adjust it's clock to more match yours. Stinky would sit on the couch next to me and loved to be brushed while I watched TV. When i had to move back to Pa, I couldn't bring him with me. I found him good home with a Miami family that had a big outdoor atrium with a swimming pool and he lived another 9 years. I visited him twice. I would have another in a heart beat. You should make sure you have a veterinarian who is receptive to treating a skunk, even if just for shots. The were a lady in Millersburg PA that raised one with her German shepherd pup and the two were inseperable. She had hers for about ten years. As for permits etc, call the regional office or harrisburg office. Permit apps and regs are on line.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is unlawful to transport wildlife from another state into PA. It is not a good idea to keep skunks as pets because there is no skunk specific rabies vaccine made to immunize skunks. Some vets will give them dog or cat vaccine but that is false security. Skunks can harbor rabies virus for a long time before the disease manifests, in that time countless people could have been exposed. Tell her to get a cat or a dog. Wildlife does not make for a good pet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course, it would be a "descented" skunk and thats my wife, if its possible she will do it... she grew up in the country and loves animals... have cats and dogs, and a horse, and birds (to whoever mentioned it up there). Thank you for the story zimmerstutzen... after more research, I don't believe they are allowed in the city where we live, anyways!

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I agree for the most part with John that wildlife does not make a good pet. There are varying degrees of "wild". Just as at one time all dogs were wild. There is nearly always some degree of wildness in every animal, whether classified as domestic, livestock or wild. On the scale of very tame to completely intolerant of humans, dogs are at one end and very wild animals are at the other. Skunks are not at the extreme, probably the most docile of Pa's indigenous animals, but still wild. but as I said require a very different attitude towards care and handling. You can't treat them the same as a dog or cat. Most domestic animals will be somewhat forgiving of being smacked with a newspaper for an accident in the house. A wild animal will never tolerate an owner that hits it. You can yell at a dog for snooping in the trash basket. He'll back up and chalk it up to training. If you yell at most wild animals they will destroy you and the house/pen/ shelter etc, even themselves, trying to escape. If you are just looking for something different, get an odd breed of dog or cat. Over thousands of years dogs, cats, horses, cattle etc, have been "domesticated." I think ferrets, tayras and perhaps fitchews are the only members of the skunk relatives that are considered domesticated. Ferrets are far to energetic and trouble some for me.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Is it still considered wildlife if it comes from a long line of domisticated skunks?
If you have papers stating it was born and raised by a breeder would it still be considered wildlife?
According to you,you can bring a ferret into Pa. from anouther state.
Just askking.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
If you really want 1....take the time to research The Patriot-News Website (Harrisburg Local Paper)

There is a Guy who advertises Skunks, Squirrels, Flying Squirrels in the Pet Section of the paper from time to time...He even lists his PGC License Number in his ad...He is from the Williamsport area..

I'd love to have a Skunk and a Flying Squirrel....

My Oldest Brother had a skunk, Daisey for about 5 years back in the 70s....she was descented and very good...used a litter box and roamed all over his house...he also had a dozen flying squirrels...

I'd love to have every animal he had, but NOT the way he got them...he was a License Rehabilitator thru the PGC for about 20 years....His Skunk and Flying Squirrels came from a few different pet stores back in the 70s....but the Coyote, Coons, Possum and host of other Critters came from "Bleeding Hearts" picking them up in the wild and Feeling "Mom" was nowhere to be seen and they ended up thinking they could care for those critters when they could not....

The Possum he had, I still to this day wonder How in the World the lady got it...My Brother had to bottle feed that possum for about 6 weeks before it could eat solid foods... anyone understand HOW Possums raise their young will under stand why I say I wonder HOW in the World the lady got hold of it!!!
She said she found it......Personally do not think baby possums just Drop out of mom's pouch!!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes it is still considered wildlife when bred in captivity and anyone in PA who legally sells them must have a permit to do so.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
For the record....Badgers do not domesticate very well....just sayin.

Nor do wolverines.....on angel dust....

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Growing up Dad brought one home as a pet from a patient of his. Wasn't much of a "pet". It was MEAN. Chewed through the wire pen we had for it twice and escaped. Caught one, second time it was gone. Loved eating bumble bees.

Oh... it's name... 'Flower'.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Knew a girl who had one as well. (same name of course...flower) It was not nasty, but very nocturnal and loved to wake ya up. loved to sleep behind the toilet...

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
Friend of mine had dozens of skunks on his farm over the years, that used to like to hang around the house.

He domesticated most of 'em with an Ithaca Mag 10. They didn't need much attention after that.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
If you really want 1....take the time to research The Patriot-News Website (Harrisburg Local Paper)

There is a Guy who advertises Skunks, Squirrels, Flying Squirrels in the Pet Section of the paper from time to time...He even lists his PGC License Number in his ad...He is from the Williamsport area..

My Oldest Brother had a skunk, Daisey for about 5 years back in the 70s....she was descented and very good...used a litter box and roamed all over his house...he also had a dozen flying squirrels...

I'd love to have every animal he had, but NOT the way he got them...he was a License Rehabilitator thru the PGC for about 20 years....His Skunk and Flying Squirrels came from a few different pet stores back in the 70s....but the Coyote, Coons, Possum and host of other Critters came from "Bleeding Hearts" picking them up in the wild and Feeling "Mom" was nowhere to be seen and they ended up thinking they could care for those critters when they could not....

The Possum he had, I still to this day wonder How in the World the lady got it...My Brother had to bottle feed that possum for about 6 weeks before it could eat solid foods... anyone understand HOW Possums raise their young will under stand why I say I wonder HOW in the World the lady got hold of it!!!
She said she found it......Personally do not think baby possums just Drop out of mom's pouch!!!
The way you get those baby possums is pretty easy. You pick them up off the road after moma has been hit by a car.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Is it still considered wildlife if it comes from a long line of domesticated skunks?

Under the law, yes. I think it was in Russia that they bred foxes to be friendly (at fur farms) within ten or twelve years they had foxes that would play and liked to be brushed etc. Now, at some point animals, by evolution, breeding or whatever, can be fairly tame. The Auroch was a prehistoric wild bovine from which all domestic cattle are believed to have been developed. At what point between very wild to very tame does an animal get reclassified as tame or domestic? Sheep for instance despite thousands of years of captivity are still actually pretty wild and several breeds are more wild than domestic. Folks still pay to hunt some sheep. Jacobs for instance. Frankly some of those multigeneration captive raised skunks are more tame than most sheep. Ferrets have been domesticated longer than cats, yet their close cousin the mink is still wild and just plain nasty. As I recall, until around 1970 it was illegal to even have a ferret or a fitchew in PA. The government in all its infinite and wrong wisdom decided they were dangerous wild animals.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:

Actually they do drop off the mom. I found one in the middle of the road one time a long, long time ago. It was the size off a half grown rat. I scooped it off the road, fed it milk and cat food and then released it a couple months later.

I'm thinking the mother was straddled by a car and took a tumble. the little guy must have fell out/off.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Windwalker7 said:
Woodywoodduck said:

Actually they do drop off the mom. I found one in the middle of the road one time a long, long time ago. It was the size off a half grown rat. I scooped it off the road, fed it milk and cat food and then released it a couple months later.

I'm thinking the mother was straddled by a car and took a tumble. the little guy must have fell out/off.
The 1 my Brother had, was 1 that was very small (smaller then what your saying) and would have been stuck to the female's Teet and would have had to been pulled off and out of the pouch!

He carried a small doll baby bottle with him that he rigged up so that baby possum could suckle from it and wore cargo pants for 6 weeks and had that baby possum in the 1 pocket...
after 6 weeks, it went into the house in a cat bed and spent a good 3-5 weeks in there before it started wondering all over the house... by that time, there was no way it would have survived in the wild..he had it for 10 years, Fatest possum I've ever seem...she was crosseyed from eating so much and sleeping all the time!

I remember right after he had it dropped off by the local WCO and he was at Mom and Dad's and pulled it out of his pocket to show us...no way was this a baby poissum that just happened to fall out of the pouch and this lady found it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts