The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this turtle this spring as he was on the move thru the area. The kids wanted to keep him for a pet so i obliged and built the turtle, affectionately known as "Spikey" aka "turtle-turtle", an outdoor pen complete with a watering hole/goldfish pond.

I know my kids dont want to let him(her) go, but I am unsure about the winter months... Can I keep this guy over the winter, if so, what needs to be done to assure he survives his/her hibernation?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Is it legal to keep a turtle caught from the wild anymore?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dutch said:
Is it legal to keep a turtle caught from the wild anymore?
He is free to leave when he wants. Come on, you guys never caught turtles as a kid or had a frog, or found a baby rabbit... I was planning on letting the critter go where I found him, I just think the kids are gonna give me a hard time.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
krloucks said:
A painted turtle would require water deep enough, with leaves/mud deep enough in which to hibernate for the winter.

Regards to Pa laws. All herps excluding endangered/threatened and those that are a species of concern, have a possession limit of 1. This can be found in the Non-Game regulations.
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about just letting him go. I dont want to take the chance on him dying. He is quite friendly too.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
My question is this, why couldn't you keep him over winter in an aquarium and then let him go in spring? Would this be detrimental to him/her?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dutch said:
My question is this, why couldn't you keep him over winter in an aquarium and then let him go in spring? Would this be detrimental to him/her?
I dont want to keep it in the house. Whats the difference if I let him go now or in the spring? I would just keep hi, but I im not sure that he would survive the winter. I can always find another turtle in the spring.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As kids we always had snakes and turtles in the house--we were farm people. We also were taught that in the fall they would have to be sent back outside--and that was for their benefit.

The next spring we would get "new" ones

When our boys came along it was with the same understanding. Their first box turtle was named Petey (AKA Peter). He was a nice turtle with a very mild and friendly disposition.

One night at dinner I was telling the boys that not all turtles had as nice a disposition as Petey. I told them about snapping turtles and how aggressive they could be--and then likened that to other species and even people.

As luck would have it--the next day I found a snapping turtle. I put it in the back of the truck and took it home. I called the boys out and grabbed this guy by the tail and put him out on the grass--he took off at a dead run toward them and they scattered!

We put the snapper in with Petey and within minutes Petey got his nose nipped---the boys had enough---we loaded that boy up and took him to a new home.

I believe those are valuable learning experiences--so keep it up Dad

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thecatskinner said:
As kids we always had snakes and turtles in the house--we were farm people. We also were taught that in the fall they would have to be sent back outside--and that was for their benefit.

The next spring we would get "new" ones

When our boys came along it was with the same understanding. Their first box turtle was named Petey (AKA Peter). He was a nice turtle with a very mild and friendly disposition.

One night at dinner I was telling the boys that not all turtles had as nice a disposition as Petey. I told them about snapping turtles and how aggressive they could be--and then likened that to other species and even people.

As luck would have it--the next day I found a snapping turtle. I put it in the back of the truck and took it home. I called the boys out and grabbed this guy by the tail and put him out on the grass--he took off at a dead run toward them and they scattered!

We put the snapper in with Petey and within minutes Petey got his nose nipped---the boys had enough---we loaded that boy up and took him to a new home.

I believe those are valuable learning experiences--so keep it up Dad
I dont have anything going on tonight, so I think think the kids and I are gonna take a ride down the road and let the turtle go. Like you said, I can find them another one in the spring.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
acorn1956 said:
If you keep it in an outside pen, you might want to read about lucky....His front legs were chewed off by a racoon. Let it free.........
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090821/ARTICLES/908219932?Title=Lucky-gets-new-legs
Im sure that would have never happened in the wild. He probably would have been flattened on the road where I found him. Why was that article on that website anyway?
You are right about flattened on the road, I've seen plenty of that..I don't know how many times I've pulled over and taken a turtle off the road.

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
You are right about flattened on the road, I've seen plenty of that..I don't know how many times I've pulled over and taken a turtle off the road.
You would think that once they see the vehicle coming they would kick it in gear and......... oh wait.

·
Registered
534 Posts
yeah i was ridin my motorcycle this spring and found a turtle tryin to cross the road, i pulled over and made a car stop, picked the guy up and put him on the side of the road he was heading, i love turtles, but that spring migration that they do has got to be hard on their numbers

·
Registered
13 Posts
The main reason they don't want you taking wild turtles is because of the bacterias and diseases they are more likely to carry than captive-bred turtles. They also don't want people taking them under a certain size.

We have a red-eared slider we got about a year ago. She grew from about half-dollar size to around a foot in shell lenth in the time we've hard her. Talk about fun...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Fleroo said:
that spring migration that they do has got to be hard on their numbers
You mean that loooong, arduous migration from one side of the road to the other ?
Hey--it can be longer than you think

Here is one of three wildlife overpasses in north Jersey over I-78. Two are exclusively for wildlife and now sport a developing forest, the third is "joint" occupancy.

I was told when they were first built it was due to the migration of an endangered species of turtle. I'm not sure that is the case, I think it was to accommodate wildlife in general. It just seems to be a bit strange in an area so highly developed as that is.

Regarding our own spring crossings, a lot of them are female snapping turtles who seem driven to "take a hike" to find a laying spot for their eggs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts