1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Pesticides and modern farming practices are known to be deadly to bees and birds. Yet, farmers have bills to pay and stuff isn't getting cheaper or easier.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Sqrlhntr said:
Some of these pesticides are harmful to us also.
True, yet so is the GMO crops we eat. Where's the FDA on this?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It isn't only farmers. Some of the pesticides that we all use aournd our homes on flowers and vegetables are very toxic to bees. Between the vera mite and pestidices bees have a hard row to hoe.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The business of beekeeping itself can be another factor of honeybee decline.
Just not as prone to the high-fives of note.

Interestingly, I found a wild hive in the base of an old locust 4 years ago...was still there last Fall.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
John S said:
It isn't only farmers. Some of the pesticides that we all use aournd our homes on flowers and vegetables are very toxic to bees. Between the vera mite and pestidices bees have a hard row to hoe.
i've raised bees for about 15 years . as a small time guy , i usually have 4 - 5 hives i see the decline all the time .for years i kept a hive or two at a friends in a developement and every year those bees would die off . plenty of food for them they just would be dead . wasn't the verroa mite or colony collapse . i would bet that since they were feeding in amongst houses that someone was using some kind of pesticide ,which led to their demise

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
People plant all kinds of nice flowers, set the tabe for the bees, then use insecticide on the flowers to protect them and kill the bees that are polinating the flowers. Most folks don't even think about bees. There is a lot of education that needs to be done. One of the most common insecticides used on flowers and vegetable gardens is Sevin, it is deadly to bees.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
So John, is to bee or not to bee really the question here?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, the question is whether it is nobler to sufffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to just go have a beer.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Remember what an uncle taught me years ago. Use them; don't abuse them. Total refrainers never got bit by fire ants.

And with the neighborhood changes due to movers, the long recession and foreclosures, me and the one landscaper are down to cutting grass in a lawn this year, instead of primarily weeds. We're getting down to manicured weeds. Weeds are becoming the new grass. Buying weed killers are out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts