The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is this autobody shop that is across the street from my house.. The owner of the body shop had a stroke in January, and just about left me in charge or the place untill he is able to continue working again...A question comes into the equation because in the back of the auto body shop this guy has a couple of sheds, well there are a combination of groundhogs and rabbits that are digging underneath the sheds. This guy gave me permission to hunt anywhere on his land that i choose... He even said that i could hunt on top of the sheds if i chose to ( but i never did)... Well these little vermin are really putting all of the sheds's foundations into harm...



So my question is... Can i shoot the rabbits that are causing the harm to the sheds?


I am not going to get paid for this, and am not going to sell the fur or anything to that nature, just pest controling

They are problems this year, because in the years past, he would take care of them himself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1oldman said:
Why not? So it'd be better to let the shed foundations to become compromised and have the sheds collapse?? Let me guess half of you people also dont know about the underlaying law that says you can protect your home against small game during the offseason, if they are doing harm to your house..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Gonna get crusified here but if the buildings are truely in danger either hire a adc licensed exterminator or SSS. Heck for a deposit i'll lend you some large cage traps big enough to handle the GHogs. Return the traps I'll return the deposit. Will warn you a drive down the road for release wont cut it they'll be back in a week or less
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Rabbits do not dig holes, they will use a hole dug by other animals. Kill the groundhogs and fill the holes , you don;t have a foundation problem from rabbits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,490 Posts
So you ask "Can i shoot the rabbits that are causing the harm to the sheds?"

Answer is no, legally.

Then you say "Let me guess half of you people also dont know about the underlaying law that says you can protect your home against small game during the offseason, if they are doing harm to your house.."

Do tell....seems you had your answer before the question?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FrankDegamma said:
Then you say "Let me guess half of you people also dont know about the underlaying law that says you can protect your home against small game during the offseason, if they are doing harm to your house.."

Do tell....seems you had your answer before the question?
yes, there is an underlaying law that says that... if it's harm done on YOUR PROPERTY... Reason i asked was because it's not my property
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
You can legally hunt the ground hogs if you have a license. The rabbits you cannot kill because they aren't the animals doing the damage and it is not your property. No one can do damage control work for another without having a wildlife pest control permit even if no fee is attached, but you may hunt groundhogs as long as you aren't in anyone elses safety zone without permission.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Yeah right, bad advice should be kept to yourself. Rabbits do not dig holes around foundations, consequently they are no doing damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John S said:
You can legally hunt the ground hogs if you have a license. The rabbits you cannot kill because they aren't the animals doing the damage and it is not your property. No one can do damage control work for another without having a wildlife pest control permit even if no fee is attached, but you may hunt groundhogs as long as you aren't in anyone elses safety zone without permission.
Just the answer i was looking for.. Didn't know how that law worked with another persons property... Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Under the Pa. Constituion, you have the right to protect your property. you can eliminate the rabbits or any other animal causing harm to your property. This precident was set in law when my neighber at camp shot a bull elk in his garden a few years back. He was arrested by PGC and taken to court. He defended himself, and won the case because of the clause in the PA. Constituion. I have a complete transcript of the trial.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
There is no precedent set in the elk case, county courts do not make precedent. In other courts eople have been found guilty of the same offense. In fact the only reason that guy was let off is because the judge knew other people baited the old man into killing that elk and said as much. If you rwad the post , the rabbits aren't doing the damage, the groundhogs are so he can't kill the rabbits, in addittion, the origional poster is not the property owner so he couldn't kill the rabbits even if they were doing damage. It is best not to give advice when you only have a little knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Must be a different case, because the shooter was no old man, and was not put up to it by anyone. I believe there was another case last yr. near the town of Truman. Someone shot 3 or 4 elk and won his case.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,896 Posts
John S said:
Yeah right, bad advice should be kept to yourself. Rabbits do not dig holes around foundations, consequently they are no doing damage.
Regardless of whether rabbits dig holes or not, they have been known to decimate an unfenced garden. And since there is no law that I know of that requires one to fence a garden, but there is written verbage allowing destructive pests to be killed in protection of one's property, they can be killed. Just because you may be a WCO sir, does not make you an expert in everytyhing, but that is the prevailing mentality of this state's game commission officers......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
We are talking about one issue, the issue the original poster ask about, Now the original poster is free to take my advice or the poor advice from people who shoot first and ask questions later. I guarantee I know more about the issue than you and the others who gave him bad advice. When someone asks a question on the law, I tell them what the law says, I on't shoot from the hip, that is MY prevailing attitude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
Sidney Smith said:
John S said:
Yeah right, bad advice should be kept to yourself. Rabbits do not dig holes around foundations, consequently they are no doing damage.
Regardless of whether rabbits dig holes or not, they have been known to decimate an unfenced garden. And since there is no law that I know of that requires one to fence a garden, but there is written verbage allowing destructive pests to be killed in protection of one's property, they can be killed. Just because you may be a WCO sir, does not make you an expert in everytyhing, but that is the prevailing mentality of this state's game commission officers......
Really? so can you kill a deer for eating your garden?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,896 Posts
WCO said:
Sidney Smith said:
John S said:
Yeah right, bad advice should be kept to yourself. Rabbits do not dig holes around foundations, consequently they are no doing damage.

Regardless of whether rabbits dig holes or not, they have been known to decimate an unfenced garden. And since there is no law that I know of that requires one to fence a garden, but there is written verbage allowing destructive pests to be killed in protection of one's property, they can be killed. Just because you may be a WCO sir, does not make you an expert in everytyhing, but that is the prevailing mentality of this state's game commission officers......
Really? so can you kill a deer for eating your garden?
In this case if said deer were on my property, eating my plants, in my garden, he is thus destroying my property. The state constitution spells out that I have a right to protect my property. I would be within the law, and within my rights to dispose of said destructive animal.

If I am wrong then please enlighten me by quoting the regulation from your mythical "master book of PA game laws", that you guys are so fond of pulling on us dumb ignorant hunters whenever there is a confrontation......
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top