The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found three persimmon trees with a crapload of fruit on them down by my pond. I like the taste of them, but they dry my mouth out too much to eat them. Anybody know anything to do with them?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They taste much better after gettin hit with a hard frost.
In the mean time,maybe a handfull to the MIL...might keep her quiet for a minute or so!!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
If you are think you could gather some seed for sale let me know. I would like to try to grow some on my place. PM me if you want to sell some.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Anyone know how successful planting and growing the tree from seed is? Any tricks to it?

I'd also like to try growwing paw paws.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a ton of them here. I'll make sure I save seeds for anyone that wants some!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So am I to understand that later in the fall, possibly after frost, they won't have that "just ate a handfull of paper towels" effect on my mouth when I bite into one?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have a persimmon tree in my yard. Most of the fruit has already fallen.. turns from green to yellow to purple.

Never tried eating one.. didn't have the nerve..

I did find a Paw Paw tree a couple weeks back. First one of them I have seen for years.. I never tried the Paw Paw fruit either, but understand it tastes like custard. ??

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll save all the seeds I get. Should be plenty for everyone, we'll figure out what they're worth then.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Pw paws taste a little like bananas, like the persimmion you need to wait till the fruit is soft and the skin is turning brown or it will be astringent. There is a small woods near my house that is full of paw paw trees. When I spoke to the farmer who owns it regarding permission to hunt for doves I told him about the trees and he didn't know they were there or what they were. I am going to wait til they are ripe and take him a couple to taste.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I might try this one:

Persimmon Beer

Ingredients:

10 pounds of wheat bran
1 gallon of pulp from very ripe persimmons

Bake this mixture like pones of cornbread until it is brown and firm. Break the pones into small pieces and put through a food chopper using a coarse plate. Dump the ground mixture into a 5 gallon crock and fill the crock not quite full of boiling water.

As soon as the crock cools to the point of barely being warm, stir in 1 package of dry yeast mixed with a little of the liquid from the crock. Keep the crock covered with a cloth. It will ferment furiously for a few days but keep watching it and in about a week it will start settling down. The moment it becomes still and clear, bottle and cap it tightly. Store it in a cool, dark place an in about 3 weeks it will be ready to use.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Use for what? Cleaning fluid?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll clean somethin', I'm sure. What do you think, high gravity ale yeast?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Maybe you should lager it to keep it from exploding.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
mountainhippie said:
Just found three persimmon trees with a crapload of fruit on them down by my pond. I like the taste of them, but they dry my mouth out too much to eat them. Anybody know anything to do with them?
They just aren't quite ripe yet. We had a tree In Mont Alto that continued to drop loads of fruit clear into the hard of winter. Like perviously said, after a good frost, much of the fruit will soften and you'll think it's rotten and over ripe by the looks and touch of the fruit. Pop one of those in your mouth. I use to eat alot of them.

To germinate them, I found stratification (keeping in the refridgerator or in a pot outside over winter) is necessary, but also i had more success by scarification as well. Basically scratching the seed up with sandpaper, or what i did was nipped a tiny piece of the end of the seed off, or [censored] it with a hot pin.
This year my persimmon's i germinated took ALOT longer to sprout that in previous years. I only had to sprout in the spring then about 3 weeks ago, 6 of them finally decided to pop up. Good luck and I can probably get plenty of seed if anyone needs. PM me if interested

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Well, any for sale? pm sent

·
Registered
129 Posts
the edges of my golf course here in jersey are persimmon trees, been dropping fruit for two weeks, deer are loving it

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked a bunch the other day, gonna try to make a pudding. I have them in a cooler with a few apples to try to ripen them. I'll post on here when I have seeds cleaned.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts