The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my chestnut trees added this spring and now I'm looking at add persimmon's this fall. All the research I've done on them shows them being spotty to produce in PA. Has anyone had success with them growing and producing in PA?

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
I have an old one up behind my house that produces pretty well. The deer love it. We are right on the northern part of their range though. I haven't done it, but I have been tempted to collect some seed from this one to plant more. I think if you want them to produce you need multiple trees as there are male and female trees. I think only the female trees produce fruit. Other than that I don't know much as the one's by me I think grew naturally or someone planted them a long time ago.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Well I got my chestnut trees added this spring and now I'm looking at add persimmon's this fall. All the research I've done on them shows them being spotty to produce in PA. Has anyone had success with them growing and producing in PA?
They grow well in the parts of PA that have a mild climate.

In the colder areas, not so much.

The climate of PA varies a great deal between south and north, and also varies a lot depend on the elevation.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
We have a couple at our place in Juniata County....they seem to do well in spurts, and then have a major winter die back. I would recommend planting trees from stock in their northern range....something we did not do.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will definitely check them out RGrizzzz, and update. Thank you!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have 5 trees in my back yard,all started from seeds about 8yrs ago.Seeds were bought from someone here on huntin pa. no longer remember who it was. Trees are now about 12 ft tall and 4 of the five have a good crop of fruit. Yes there has to be male and female tree. I believe I have 4 female and one male,and the male has no fruit. They were a real pain to get started and had to be watered and pampered continuously to get them to this point. The trees are now doing well on their own and require only an occasional trimming of the lower branches for ease of mowing around them.

I'm in cumberland co. if that helps and they are doing well here.

If anyone is interested ,save this post and PM me after Oct. when the fruit is ripe and I will send seeds from all 5 trees that I have. I think I remember keeping the seeds in the freezer over the winter,then planting them in pots in the spring. I think they have to go through a freeze before they will germinate.

·
Premium Member
24,260 Posts
I have a property in VA(near MD line) with tons of them growing. Deer love them!! Tried planting some seedlings here in PA (year York) with no success.

·
Registered
654 Posts
We have some old mature ones in NW Columbia county, over 60 years old. The male tree blew over in a storm 5 or 6 years ago. Production of the 2 females dropped way off but we still get some persimmons and they have seeds. When there were more persimmons, I'd expect to see deer tracks around them when there was snow in December. I watched a few come in just before the end of shooting hours one year on the last day of rifle season. Dad moved either a seedling or a sucker quite a few years ago into the old pasture it started producing a couple years ago. Other seedlings or suckers I've grafted over to named varieties over the past 3 years. I expect to see fruit off the oldest of those soon.

Less successful, I have planted bare root from Missouri MDC and ones I grew from seed maybe 3-4 years ago. They have not taken off but not died out, just surviving with no love in shady brush or stiltgrass underneath a sparse canopy of black walnuts. I think I need to get the chainsaw going and use weedmats around them. I'd like to graft those all over to named varieties. I think MDC's stock is really nice and affordable.

The male/female question is complicated. They do tend to have male and female trees but female trees may have some male flowers. This seems to vary by variety and tree age. Plant enough seedlings and you'll have more males than you really need. You can find on the internet what a male flower and a female flower look like.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after a lot of research I finally bit the bullet and went with the Dunston persimmons. I planted 5 of them at $35.00 each. I have my doubts but they're supposed to produce in all of zone 5. They are the grafted female variety so they're supposed to produce without the need of a male persimmon. We shall see. Think I'm going to wrap them before the snow fly's and keep them covered until late May.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They did have a lot of chestnuts. If the persimmons fail I'm going with the chestnuts as well even though I already have some near this location.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update...well I was able to baby my persimmons through the winter. Was touch and go for a while and thought I may have lost them a couple of times. Planted them last September and they just sprouted this week. Took this pic today. Should be good for a few months now. With any luck they'll have fruit before I'm 110. >:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts