The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend it trying to plant persimmon seeds for a friend of his. does he need to do anything for them, like crack the seed put them in the freezer? thanks eh put them in planter but they have yet to sprout after several weeks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'll be watching this thread. I tried 3yrs ago to start persimmon from seeds bought from someone on this board. Finally got 5 to grow out of about 25 seeds. 2 of those seedlings died over this winter so after 3 yrs I have 3 very small seedlings about 1' tall. Good luck hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Never grew them, but I'm told that scratching them up with sandpaper and freezing them is key.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Would you freeze them or put them in a potting soil and in a zip lock bag and store them over the winter in the crisper of the refrigerator? I put in over 100 hickory nuts in the crisper this way and so far over 60% have sprouts on them. I picked 8 more out of the zip bag tonite and will put them in tomorrow. I don't know if they are shag bark or shell bark but the ones I ate last winter were very good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts