The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am in the correct forum for this.
Has anyone used the permethrin spray on your clothes for ticks? It says you can wash your clothes several times and that it works great.
I know you can order it on Amazon around $10.00 plus shipping.
Does any of the sporting goods carry this and what is their price?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Get the gallon of Goat and Sheep solution at Tractor supply, water based and correct strength of .5%. They also sell concentrate you need to mix with water . Be sure it is not oil based and never spray on skin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bonide bed bug killer . It is water based , so it does not leave a strong odor, plus it is already diluted to the proper percentage for ticks. Ordered mine online(don't remember where or how much). Haven't pulled any ticks off years!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought the aerosol sawyers permethrin from Wally World when they went on sale for $4.33 a can. I can do two sets of clothes with one can. So that is basically the entire tick season before Christmas. Haven't had a tick on me in my hunting clothes in over 5 years now using Sawyers.

·
Registered
20,433 Posts
I bought the aerosol sawyers permethrin from Wally World when they went on sale for $4.33 a can. I can do two sets of clothes with one can. So that is basically the entire tick season before Christmas. Haven't had a tick on me in my hunting clothes in over 5 years now using Sawyers.
Yes, but ounce for ounce, it is way cheaper to mix the stuff. I bought a quart bottle at Ollies 4 or five years ago and I'm still using it. 7 bucks that was. Wish I could find more of that today.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For a grab and go the spray can is very effective. Also I don't really care what the cost is. A thousand cans of permethrin is still cheaper than lyme disease. Also unless the stuff that you "mix" says its formulated to spray and and stay on clothes I wouldn't trust it more than 1 or 2 outings. Not worth my health to go off someone's word who didn't formulate the stuff. Sawyers uses different preservative and other chemicals to add properties to it. Not a plug for them I just trust their stuff more.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
For a grab and go the spray can is very effective. Also I don't really care what the cost is. A thousand cans of permethrin is still cheaper than lyme disease. Also unless the stuff that you "mix" says its formulated to spray and and stay on clothes I wouldn't trust it more than 1 or 2 outings. Not worth my health to go off someone's word who didn't formulate the stuff. Sawyers uses different preservative and other chemicals to add properties to it. Not a plug for them I just trust their stuff more.
well said...I was thinking of converting but sawyers has worked finefor me for meant years...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree, I’ve been using the Sawyers for years, then I tried the concentrated version form Tractor supply and Is much cheaper!
It too is effective, but it does have a more noticeable smell on your garments than the Sawyers. ( mixed according to direction).
I like the Sawyers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree, I’ve been using the Sawyers for years, then I tried the concentrated version form Tractor supply and Is much cheaper!
It too is effective, but it does have a more noticeable smell on your garments than the Sawyers. ( mixed according to direction).
I like the Sawyers.
Heard about the solvent smell issue on a hiking forum. Apparently the manufacturers don't need to list the inert ingredients and most of the cheap concentrates have solvents in them. Heard tell it mostly goes away after a wash or 2 but knowing most critters have a pretty good nose, I chose to ignore the cheapest option. I know there is one concentrate out there that is water based but personally ended up going with the J T Eaton bedbug spray as it needs no dilution. 1 gal cost me $28,00 and shipping from amazon. Saw some scalpers on there asking a whole lot more. A whole lot cheaper than Sawyer, same dilution, is labeled for use on clothes, and comes with a spray attachment. Just need to be careful about the ingredients as they sell other bedbug sprays that have different active ingredients. Look for the gold label one.

If I recall correctly, you could also special order it from Lowe's or Home Depot at about the same price.

Edited to add: the J.T. Eaton product is called Kills (Not the Kills II) can also be ordered from Tractor Supply.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts