The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Tractor Supply this weekend to pick up a few things. I am also planning on picking up a jug of permethrin to mix my own tick spray. It gets a little expensive buying the Sawyers at $10 a bottle. I have lots of clothes to treat,myself,kids,grandkids,etc. Can anyone recommend a brand,% of concentrate,mix ratio,etc? I would like to mix a 5 gal bucket full and soak all our clothes in it,then let them air dry.

Bob

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Permethrin 10, if you go online you can get a discount coupon.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/permethrin%2010

I got the 32oz and use it as below. Have it for years and still have about 1/2 the bottle. Since the directions are for 13.3% I use about 1.25oz for the 10% TSC instead of just 1 oz. Per Ziploc I'll do 1 jean or 2 T shirts or 2 shorts or 6 socks. That's it for me for the year, about 5 oz permethrin per year.

TOTAL FABRIC IMPREGNATION USING PERMAKILL 13.3% SOLUTION

Controlled Wicking - The ideal application (preferred method) is to follow the prescribed military procedure that maximizes protection and minimizes waste. The process is a controlled wicking process where a specific amount (dose) of permethrin is introduced to an individual garment under controlled conditions.

You will need:
a - pint measuring cup
b - 1 ounce measurer
c - several 2 gallon sealable plastic bags (e.g. Ziploc ™)
d - a bottle of 13.3% permethrin
e - water
f - clothing (Do not treat any under garments, treat outer garments only).
g - several large rubber bands
h - rubber gloves

Instructions: Wear rubber gloves when handling wet solution. Add 1 ounce of Perma-kill 13.3% Permethrin to measuring cup and top off with 15 ounces of clean water to make 1 pint. Roll garment to be treated tightly to a size that will fit into bag and secure roll with rubber bands. Place garment into the bag, add the mixed (1 pint) of permethrin solution and seal the bag while removing excess air. Put bag aside for 2 hours minimum to allow thorough wicking. Remove garment, unroll the garment to ensure entire garment is damp without dry spots, air dry, mark with treatment date (month/year) and store. If wicking is not complete, roll garment and return to bag.

This method has been tested and delivers protection within the following guideline - Properly completed, this procedure will impregnate the garment with a dosage of approximately 0.125-mg permethrin per square centimeter. The protection will last for the life of the garment, 50 detergent launderings, or 1 year, whichever comes first

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Another tip about permethrin:

Although the instructions always say not to apply directly to skin, It can be useful if you get an imbedded tick, especially one of those tiny ones or one in a sensitive or awkward place. One drop of 5% permethrin solution directly on the tick, covered with a bandaid will kill the tick and it'll be there on the bandaid if you and/or your doctor feel it useful to have it tested for lyme.

A 5% solution is safe and is actually what is usually prescribed in a cream when someone gets into a bunch of chiggers. Be very thankful we don't have those in PA!!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Check the turkey board, someone listed a spray bottle of Bed Bug spray that is the 0.5% solution, no dilution & no need to buy a spray bottle.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I can't help you with volume purcahse/application,

I just have my own clothes to treat

and do so

via yellow bottles @ $11 pop at Wallyworld

but I will vouch
for Sawyer's --

This product knocks ticks dead

one less thing to worry about

·
Administrator
30,613 Posts
Just ordered some through Amazon Germany. The last time I tried to get some here, no one was selling it. Very glad to see I can now get it here.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
aubie515 said:
I bought the concentrate from TSC...I believe it's 20:1 Water to Permethrin.

It has an odor...I spray my none hunting clothes with it. For my hunting close, I get the Sawyer bottles at WM.
The Permethrin 10 concentrate from Tractor Supply dries odorless.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I mixed a bottle of the TS solution last year and did not use it all. Will it be just as effective this year or should I make up another batch?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
btbowhunter56 said:
A 5% solution is safe and is actually what is usually prescribed in a cream when someone gets into a bunch of chiggers. Be very thankful we don't have those in PA!!
They are here.
Only got into em once in an exceptionally hot early scouting trip to West Central Illinois. That was enough! If they're here in PA, I've never had the misfortune of meeting any in western PA and I hope I never do!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Western PA is polluted with ticks now. Never had to worry about them but 3 or 4 years ago, my favorite creek bottom had them start to show up. First year, I saw one or two on me every 2nd of third outing bowhunting. Next year, 1 or 2 every outing. Last year, I would have 9 or 10 crawling up my pant legs just from the walk in our out to the stand and it was only 150 yds from the road. Every bit of my archery clothing will be washed then sprayed down with Sawyers or something else that dries semi-odorless but has lots of permethrin in it....My hair is getting the heebie jeebies just thinking about those buggers right now!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Justgrad25, You will be glad you did. I swear by the stuff. I have not had the need yet to buy and mix my own but I will give 5 stars to Sawyers. When I or my grandkids or wife head into the woods, they are wearing clothes that have been treated. Never a tick. I actually watched one crawling up my pant leg. Within about 30 seconds it started to shake and fell off. I am on my 3rd or 4th washing and it still seems to perform well. Anyways, get the sawyers if you aren't doing a bunch of clothes and go enjoy the woods. In the mean time, I hear Guinea fowl are heck on them ticks...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts