The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried or seen a "conversion" of a BP percussion barrel (Such as one for a T\C Hawken) to one that will work for a flinlock?

I'm just curious if you remove the percussion "stuff" from the barrel, can you replace (or have an insert made) that with a touchhole.....and will that align with a frizzen pan?

Seems simple.....but that's probably why it isn't.

Dave

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I built a custom gun that does what you describe. I just made sure that the lock builder I bought from knew what I wanted to do so that the lock plates matched.

I believe most flinters have a 1/4 touch hole, most percussion guns have a 5/16th barrel thread. I went to a 5/16th touch hole liner to make this accomodation.

Personally I doubt that you could pull it off easily with a factory gun.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have a long rifle, not a hooked breech, that I can convert from Percussion to flint, locks have matching sideplates. Drum for the percussion and touch hole liner have matching threats. Percussion sideplate has a cutout that seats around the drum. It is a .40 cal that I used to hunt squirrel.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Can be done.Change breech plug and lock.We all can use another gun!Easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a T\C Hawken that a few years ago, I bought a GM 1-70 twist "drop in" 50 caliber barrel. It's really accurate....way more than my orginal 1-48 twist T\C.

At the time, GM was also making a 1-28 twist for the T\C (hook breach) "drop in" in 50 cal, and I think 54 cal. Well, today you can only get these drop in's for the T\C for the percussion guns.

I didn't know how the alignment is or would be. I should have followed my "gut" back then, and bought a 54cal 1-28 for shooting big 'ol sabots at tiny little whitetails.

Dave

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
You can pick up a stock,lock,and trigger complete on E-Bay for around $80.Just drop your barrel in.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The short answer is yes, I have converted at least half dozen TC Renegades and Investarms percussion guns to Flint, then installed a drum to accommodate a nipple to convert back to percussion. For liability reasons I am reluctante to post my procedure here ,but you will need a drill press and be familiar with drilling and tapping holes,then the original percussion lock will have to be altered to accommadate the new drum. A bench grinder and an assortment of good files are also needed tools as well as the proper size drills and taps. A good dremel tool with assorted stones will also be helpful.

Google Fort Chambers ,they are a blackpowder shop here in Franklin Co. that I believe will do this conversion.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
cooperstown trading just coverted a cap to a flinter he nort of pittsburg he is a true muzzleing shop he will have anything you need or he can get it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts