The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the game commission legalize percussion rifles? A lot of guys I work with want to get into blackpowder and don't want a flinter.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
you can hunt early ML season and the regular firearms season with one, the flint season is just what it is and the only one left in the country, lets hope they just leave it alone.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I use a percussion in the early muzzle loader season, they're basically a single shot rifle.
Agree with the late season, leave it alone, nothing needs changed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have a lot of guys who don't want a flinter it's because they don't have any experience with a flinter. A good USA made lock and they are as reliable and accurate as any percussion.

Leave the season alone, use your percussion gun in the rifle season. I use my flinter.

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
There is a long season for those percussion rifles,inlines,and centerfires.It just isn't right after Christmas is all.If a person is too wimpy to actually use a flintlock they probably would be too wimpy to stand the cold anyhow.The idea behind a flintlock is the never knowing if the gun will go off.Percussion takes it almost out of the equation.It is basically flintlock season for die hard hunters.People that enjoy just being there harvest or not.My opinion.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I use my percussions in Oct.I use my flinters in Dec and Jan.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Flintlock only in the late season! I hope they keep it that way!

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I agree with all of your posts.But lets not get defensive.They might not know their is a early season and might not know they are allowed to use it in firearms season.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If they're not smart enough to figure out what seasons they can hunt with thier rifles they should'nt even be in the woods!

·
Banned
629 Posts
Since you "flintlock only" guys have your OWN season after Christmas, the early Muzzleloader Season should be Inlines and Percussion only, no flintlocks. That way everyone has their own season and doesn't have to share with anyone. LOL

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
PerryTuscarora said:
Since you "flintlock only" guys have your OWN season after Christmas, the early Muzzleloader Season should be Inlines and Percussion only, no flintlocks. That way everyone has their own season and doesn't have to share with anyone. LOL
works for me!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
7600 said:
Will the game commission legalize percussion rifles? A lot of guys I work with want to get into blackpowder and don't want a flinter.
IMO, those guys don't want to get into blackpowder as much as they want to get into an extra hunting opportunity. Which is OK! Nothing wrong with that. There are those who get into BP for the sport, and those who get in it for the hunt. Alot of us got into it for the hunt and then discovered a whole new world going on around us throughout the entire year.

If the PGC should want the late season to become more than it is from a harvest perspective, they could expand it to include percussion firearms...including inlines. No skin off my nose if they do. With the history Pa has with the American Longrifle, it would be a shame to abandon that historical connection completely. Pa should have a season at some time during the year dedicated to that heritage and connect it to the tourism factor. ie....market it!!

Anyone who has extended experience with a sidelock percussion BP firearm, will encounter as many misfires as they do with a flintlock. When that problem rears its head, it can be a harder problem to solve in the field. A sidelock percussion when working properly, the flinch factor drops combining with an ignition that is a tad quicker.... making accuracy easier to obtain. Beyond that, it's 6 to one and half dozen the other.... IMO.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
PerryTuscarora said:
I'd agree to that in a heartbeat if it would keep the guys like you from complaining every year.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
And then the modern rifle guys will want to exclude all muzzle loaders from regular firearms season.

A properly set up flint lock will do everything an inline can do. In fact there were flint lock in lines three hundred years ago.

I find it odd that such talk isn't directed to opening archery for in-lines and muzzleloaders. An in-line belongs in the flint season about as much as it belongs in archery. (both bow and in-line are so called primitive weapons)

Everybody wants to push the easy button.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts