The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know,i am and old timer and been to a lot of places and met a lot of people.
I am a very quite soul and like to listen to folks,mostly,lets call them " GEOLOGICAL EXPERTS",which means they are experts in their own territory or their own minds.
I have worked with a few and been to little stores or visited hunting camps that had some!
I would say that because i am a good listener,they feel that i really follow their lead and use them as my idol ?
Example: I moved to this place i am at now,for a job. That was 15 years ago. I am a trouble shooting person. I got a job in a very big hospital facility.After 2 months my Supervisor tells me he hired another fellow. A buddy of his? " YOU WILL LIKE HIM" he tells me "HE HUNTS AND FISHES PLUS HAS A LOT OF GUNS!" OK Cool,i think?
I take my time feeling him out to see what he is like!After a couple of weeks i start talking hunting. Its October! Where we work is up in the mountains and deer,back then,before the big selling of doe license to kill them all off,were all over our place. Bears also!
Well then he starts: I will only use such and such rifle and only use Swift a frame bullets. When i shoot one i want to make sure it goes down!I am thinking OK,Good for you. Must be one heck of a hunter,i figure? I don't ask him anymore of his endeavors.
Well,Mister Expert,as i find out,has not got a deer in 25 years and he has a 36 acre farm !!!!
Then,after 5 years of working around him,i got to not care for him,so i kept away from him,a lot?
Turns out,Mr. Swift A Frame finally got a buck??? Yep, a buck! Yes sir a Buck and a fine??? Seems Mr.A Frame shot it in a safety zone and the home owner called the Game Protector! He didn't even get it gutted till the Game warden got there and nailed him.
He never told us,at work about this but you know how the grape vine works!
Turns out he had to pay a pretty good fine and lost the buck!
And you know what? The longer i was around him.at work,the more his personality got to me and i just,i shouldn't say this,but i hated him!
I only brag about my kids and grandchildren and it comes back to bite me sometimes?

·
Registered
886 Posts
willyp said:
Please explain "Ivory Tower".
It's a reference to an attitude of retreat or remoteness to everyday affairs. Granted, I don't know you but this is a forum dedicated to outdoor sports. With that in mind I can say with utmost certainty that ever single one of us have been construed of bragging at one point in our lives. Whether one might be rehashing the events that unfolded on a fishing/hunting trip or sharing pictures of the harvest at the office water cooler, someone somewhere has interpreted it as bragging.

Just saying that standing on the soapbox to rag on an old coworker for bragging is a very moot point.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would have to have met this fellow. He was unliked by a lot of people? He just had an attitude!
He did lose his job there? Mid 60s and would not take a urine test? when he did take it he failed.
This was at a drug rehab we worked.
The point was that he bragged about being a deer hunter and had never got one,legally.
You may be right,so,i am sorry.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Everyone runs into one of them at some point.

You shot a 8, he got a 10 point.

You shoot a inch group, he shoots a .25

You took a groundhog at 400yds, he shoots them at 600 every day.

Hunts in the same area you do where a shot over 100 yards is threading the needle through trees, but has killed all his deer at 300 or better.

He wont use a regular bullet because it isnt a premium and just doesnt compare to a $$$$$ one.

It was fun watching my kids listen to post hunting season stories after I got them shooting competition stuff. Once they knew what 200-300 and 600 yds looked like in real life, they learned to take hunting stories with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Willy, hunters have been bragging since the caveman days ,
drawing animals on the wall.
Besides if hunters didn't brag we wouldn't get to read all
the " What do you do when you're tagged out " threads
every year.
I just love them!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have dealt with many of those type of people. They wear thin on me real quick. And the guys who have shot the least amount of game are always the most opinionated about what it takes to kill game.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My neighbor must be related to that guy. He fishes some local walleye tourneys and always is first or second. Or he will go out to the Midwest for tourneys and always place in the top 3. Checking the standings on line and never see his name.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
It amazes me what little self awareness people have.

It's very easy for me to pick up on a persons lack of interest when I am talking to them about something or if I am annoying them. Some people just never seem to be able to see the signs for whatever reason.

I think younger guys should maybe get a pass for some things just because of a lack of life experience, trying to figure out who they are as a man, and testosterone. Over time though you begin to learn. Some however never get it.

No one cares how many buck you shot or how big, what a great fisherman you are, or how much money you make unless it's maybe family or very close friends. That's at least how it is for me.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just knew there would be folks poking at me over this thread. But,that's what keeps this place from being slow and boring.

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
In the early 70's I got taken in by one of these types. A fellow worker was transferred from NY to our office. I was helping him with his new assignments and one day he ask about Spring Turkey hunting said he had never turkey hunted wanted to learn. However he was a great hunter at everything else. 1st glue.

I too had moved to PA three years before and understood the difficulties of hunting a new state and hunting new game and turkey hunting is not something you learn over night. I spend a lot of time and gasoline scouting, studying, calling practice etc. and was having good success, why not share what it took me years to learn? I had teamed up with two other hunters over the last couple of years to share expenses, scouting and knowledge.

Being a nice guy I elected to show the new guy the ropes of a sport I enjoy so much. We went camping in turkey country a couple of weeks before the season and at first light we heard a gobbler near by. In those days I seldom heard more than 1-2 gobbler a morning if any. So I told him go to him call and watch the gobbler. I thought this would give him some experience of what hunting would be like. I went off in another direction, didn't hear a gobbler until 11 AM, I got close and called to him and two mature gobblers came within 15 yards as I stayed still and watched them walk off.

I returned to camp excited to tell my story, buy ask and waited for his story, but he saw nothing. So trying to hold back my excitement I told him of my good fortune.
He replied, just wait until opening day and we will see who the turkey hunter is. 2 nd clue.

Open day I dropped my new buddy off and drove to a near by location. It wasn't daylight yet and I heard a shot very near where I dropped him off. I was worried a first, but recalled he told he of his vast hunting experiences. Neither of us brought a gobbler back to camp and I ask about the shot and he said he didn't shoot and did not hear a shot. 3 rd clue.

On the return trip we preplan to met my two buddies who I had abandoned to hunt with the new guy and I knew this didn't set well with them. However, we met and were discussing our mornings hunts when the new guy came out with these stories of how many turkeys he had shot in the past while hiding his gun under his poncho, quick drawing and shooting their heads off before they move. Last clue needed.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Varmintmist said:
Everyone runs into one of them at some point.

You shot a 8, he got a 10 point.

You shoot a inch group, he shoots a .25

You took a groundhog at 400yds, he shoots them at 600 every day.

Hunts in the same area you do where a shot over 100 yards is threading the needle through trees, but has killed all his deer at 300 or better.

He wont use a regular bullet because it isnt a premium and just doesnt compare to a $$$$$ one.

It was fun watching my kids listen to post hunting season stories after I got them shooting competition stuff. Once they knew what 200-300 and 600 yds looked like in real life, they learned to take hunting stories with a grain of salt.
A guy can shoot a tire rolling down a hill 10 out of 10 times.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I can handle people bragging more than I can handle looking at their ugly selfies.I can't even stand that word.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hunters are braggers and fishermen are liars,

1 - 20 of 71 Posts