The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEDAR LAKE, Ind. (AP) — A northern Indiana man who allegedly threatened to "kill as many people as he could" at an elementary school near his home was arrested by officers who later found 47 guns and ammunition hidden throughout his home.

Von. I. Meyer, 60, of Cedar Lake, was arrested Saturday after prosecutors filed formal charges of felony intimidation, domestic battery and resisting law enforcement against him. He was being held Sunday without bond at the Lake County Jail, pending an initial hearing on the charges, police said in a statement.
Ind. man with 47 guns arrested after school threat

Authorities in Orange County said some 50 shots were fired outside a mall in Newport Beach, Calif., during the busy Christmas shopping season Saturday, a day after a mass shooting in Connecticut had the nation in mourning and again debating gun control.

A 42-year-old man was in custody after the sound of gunshots at Fashion Island caused near-pandemonium, according to shoppers. No one was injured, authorities said.

Newport Beach police said the gunman fired some 50 rounds into the air and at the ground in a parking lot outside the Macy's at the upscale mall at about 4:30 p.m. The shopping center was placed on lockdown.

As mall patrons scrambled into hiding places and shop employees rushed to close doors, officers on bike patrol arrested 42-year-old Marcos Sarinana Gurrola of Garden Grove without incident.
Suspect in Custody After 50 Rounds Fired at Mall

Lordy....People are going off the deep end lately.
This all will not bode well for gun ownership.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe....I know I took next Friday off from work for that very reason. I figure on the off chance they are right the last place I want to be is working. Also gave me a good excuse to get a new La-Z-Boy recliner. At 11:59 PM Thursday my butt is going to be parked in the recliner; glass in hand, smoking a stogie.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass on Sunday due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening to "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.
I hope they get this person....This is just plain sick.

Death threat prompts police response to Newtown church on Sunday
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During a moment when the gun control debate is at the forefront of everyone's minds, the reports of a shooting in an Alabama hospital early Saturday morning aren't helping anything.



Thankfully, there were no casualties here. According to multiple reports, a hospital employee alerted police to a man walking around the fifth floor of St. Vincent's Hospital around 4 a.m. Saturday morning. When two hospital employees and a police officer got off the elevator to confront him, the gunman opened fire. The police officer and two employees were shot and injured before a second police came around the corner and killed the gunman. The injuries to the police officer and hospital workers don't appear to be serious. Officials say they're non-life threatening.
SHEESH!

Gunman Opens Fire in Alabama Hospital
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think our definition of "sensationalism" is miles apart.
To me that would be making a mountain out of mole hill like the FOX Noise guy who got a poke on the chin at the labor rally. This stuff is a bunch of people who have gone totally off the reservation the last few days and is concerning.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
I think our definition of "sensationalism" is miles apart.
To me that would be making a mountain out of mole hill like the FOX Noise guy who got a poke on the chin at the labor rally. This stuff is a bunch of people who have gone totally off the reservation the last few days and is concerning.
No sig, the reality is that shots are fired in all kinds of places, all over the country on a daily basis, yet they go unreported by the national media UNTIL something like what happened in Conn. occurs. Then every shot that is fired, anywhere in the country is pasted all over the headlines in an attempt to make it look as if gun violence is at epidemic levels and how we "need to do something" about it.

It fuels the fire to those who are screaming for gun bans right now and so they dig up everything they can to plaster all over the headlines to scare the pants off people.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TraskOutdoors said:
SigPro2340 said:
I think our definition of "sensationalism" is miles apart.
To me that would be making a mountain out of mole hill like the FOX Noise guy who got a poke on the chin at the labor rally. This stuff is a bunch of people who have gone totally off the reservation the last few days and is concerning.
No sig, the reality is that shots are fired in all kinds of places, all over the country on a daily basis, yet they go unreported by the national media UNTIL something like what happened in Conn. occurs. Then every shot that is fired, anywhere in the country is pasted all over the headlines in an attempt to make it look as if gun violence is at epidemic levels and how we "need to do something" about it.

It fuels the fire to those who are screaming for gun bans right now and so they dig up everything they can to plaster all over the headlines to scare the pants off people.
I dunno....I think a guy dumping 50 rounds in a mall parking lot is news worthy.
This level of nuttiness is becomming concerning. A whole lot more concerning than a reporter getting a poke on the chin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,332 Posts
People have been nuts for a long time. The system and society does not handle it well.

If you had cancer or heart disease, or your parent, spouse, brother, child did, you would want to rush to see the best doctor you could find.

The mentally ill do not realize they need help, and I'm guessing that often when they are told they do, they deny they need it or refuse to go get it. Those around them who care about them want to not believe it either.

And the way a lot of the laws are, not too much can be done about it until they actually do something. The system is reactive, not proactive.

Think about it. Would you be "ashamed" (if that's the right word) to go into work and say your son has leukemia? Now how would you feel if you went into work and said your son is hearing voices telling him he is invisible, the mother ship is coming on Friday, and needs to go carve up a stranger?

One would be easy to tell coworkers. The other one sure would be hard to talk about with others due to the stigma attached. Thus often those who need help don't get it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,019 Posts
So what is your reasoning for all this "madness"???

America's "gun violence culture"??? Ban guns or "certain types" of guns and the craziness will go away?

People commit absolutely horrific acts on a daily basis in this country yet the media and most of the people ignore it or take it in stride.

What about the mother in Chicago who brutally stabbed both of her young children earlier this year.

What about monsters hacking people up with machetes and axes?

What about the brutal rapes and murders of so many women each and every year?

What about the monsters who molest children every day in this country?

PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM, not some piece of steel that fires bullets. Every "weapon" is an inanimate object UNTIL a person decides to use it in a brutal way. Society has decayed beyond belief in this country to the point where people are committing crimes so horrific that it absolutely stuns people and takes their breath away. I felt sick to my stomach upon hearing the news on Friday.

The sad reality is that while we can try and catch these people before they commit these heinous acts, we will NEVER be able to stop things like this from happening, some how, some way. We cannot legislate bad things from occurring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
So what is your reasoning for all this "madness"???

America's "gun violence culture"??? Ban guns or "certain types" of guns and the craziness will go away?

People commit absolutely horrific acts on a daily basis in this country yet the media and most of the people ignore it or take it in stride.

What about the mother in Chicago who brutally stabbed both of her young children earlier this year.

What about monsters hacking people up with machetes and axes?

What about the brutal rapes and murders of so many women each and every year?

What about the monsters who molest children every day in this country?

PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM, not some piece of steel that fires bullets. Every "weapon" is an inanimate object UNTIL a person decides to use it in a brutal way. Society has decayed beyond belief in this country to the point where people are committing crimes so horrific that it absolutely stuns people and takes their breath away. I felt sick to my stomach upon hearing the news on Friday.

The sad reality is that while we can try and catch these people before they commit these heinous acts, we will NEVER be able to stop things like this from happening, some how, some way. We cannot legislate bad things from occurring.
No sig, the reality is that shots are fired in all kinds of places, all over the country on a daily basis, yet they go unreported by the national media UNTIL something like what happened in Conn. occurs. Then every shot that is fired, anywhere in the country is pasted all over the headlines in an attempt to make it look as if gun violence is at epidemic levels and how we "need to do something" about it.

It fuels the fire to those who are screaming for gun bans right now and so they dig up everything they can to plaster all over the headlines to scare the pants off people.
+1 and +1
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top