The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the excitement of a pending Steeler/ratbird game, lets not forget our beloved Pens. They looked awful against the Wild the other day. Time to get back in the "W" column!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
When Sid's out, you need other guys to step up--goals by guys like Rupp are what help replace Sid's production.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WANG DANG SWEET LETANG!!!!!! 2-0 Pens!!!!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UGH! Are you freakin' kidding me!?!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unbelievable! I'm going to beat my head off of the wall now.

·
20,126 Posts
No question the most disgusting loss of the year. I would FLIP OUT on them in that locker room. Like total melt down. The effort is not there when it matters. The only consistancy in this team is that they are consistantly inconsistant. They pretty much stink the 10 games since that long winning streak. What the heck is their identity???? To me it's taking a lot of dumb penalties.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
This team is a total joke right now. I keep hearing the line from The Water Boy-"You're going to have to do this yourself because there is nobody on this team that is any good!" when it comes to Sid. This team had 2 points in the bag tonight against a really good defensive team and totally melted down in the last 4 minutes. All of the talk at the beginning of the season about the Pens having one of the best defensive corps in the league is laughable. Shero spent all that money on Michalek and Martin for what!!?? Just an embarrassing stretch since Christmas by this team. There is nobody on the team that can finish a play besides Crosby. Malkin is the most over paid player in the league. He is making the same amount as Sid and is playing like garbage right now.

Shero needs to make some serious moves before the trade deadline because this team is going nowhere in the playoffs with this lineup. It's basically a team full of grinders + Sidney Crosby. I believe that just about every other team in the NHL has more depth than the Pens. They should go ahead and give Sid the Hart right now because there is nobody in the league that is more important to their team than him. I'm getting tired of watching this team play like a JV unit out there. It's almost time for the fans in Pittsburgh to start wearing paper bags on their heads to the arena. Yeah, it's that bad. People pay good money to watch this team and this is what they play like? I would demand my money back for this crap.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
This team is a total joke right now. I keep hearing the line from The Water Boy-"You're going to have to do this yourself because there is nobody on this team that is any good!" when it comes to Sid. This team had 2 points in the bag tonight against a really good defensive team and totally melted down in the last 4 minutes. All of the talk at the beginning of the season about the Pens having one of the best defensive corps in the league is laughable. Shero spent all that money on Michalek and Martin for what!!?? Just an embarrassing stretch since Christmas by this team. There is nobody on the team that can finish a play besides Crosby. Malkin is the most over paid player in the league. He is making the same amount as Sid and is playing like garbage right now.

Shero needs to make some serious moves before the trade deadline because this team is going nowhere in the playoffs with this lineup. It's basically a team full of grinders + Sidney Crosby. I believe that just about every other team in the NHL has more depth than the Pens. They should go ahead and give Sid the Hart right now because there is nobody in the league that is more important to their team than him. I'm getting tired of watching this team play like a JV unit out there. It's almost time for the fans in Pittsburgh to start wearing paper bags on their heads to the arena. Yeah, it's that bad. People pay good money to watch this team and this is what they play like? I would demand my money back for this crap.
All i can say is WOW! You are completely out of your mind. All teams have slumps. The pens just seem to be going through one right now. They wouldn't have had the winning streak they had if they weren't deeper than most teams in the nhl. Not only are they the best team in the nhl but the ahl team is also the best. So depth isn't the problem. Could they use another winger? Probably. But I wouldn't go making any major moves as you're suggesting.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Holy major meltdown batman!! What the heck was that
They did it again against Boston. The Pens are looking very ordinary right now. There is litterally no excuse for a loss like that
If I were Bylsma, I would rip them.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
dennis h. said:
TraskOutdoors said:

All i can say is WOW! You are completely out of your mind. All teams have slumps. The pens just seem to be going through one right now. They wouldn't have had the winning streak they had if they weren't deeper than most teams in the nhl. Not only are they the best team in the nhl but the ahl team is also the best. So depth isn't the problem. Could they use another winger? Probably. But I wouldn't go making any major moves as you're suggesting.
Really? I'm out of my mind? Is it any coincidence that Crosby's incredible scoring streak coincided with the winning streak? I think not. HE carried the team during that stretch which, by the way, occurred against some pretty mediocre teams. Besides Sid, they have nobody. Malkin isn't playing like a $9 million a year player. Their best winger is Chris Kunitz for God's sake! They need help. When they won the Cup at least they had Guerin and Sykora. Pat their prime but could still finish. Now they rely on stone hands Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy to score. As I said, the D is not playing like they are supposed to be for what they are being payed. They leave Fleury out to dry time and again.

Like I said, Shero has to do something to jump start this team again.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
if marc andre fleury was a bricklayer he still couldn't get a shutout......the Pens have sickened me in every way a person can be sickened.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
dennis h. said:
TraskOutdoors said:

Really? I'm out of my mind? Is it any coincidence that Crosby's incredible scoring streak coincided with the winning streak? I think not. HE carried the team during that stretch which, by the way, occurred against some pretty mediocre teams. Besides Sid, they have nobody. Malkin isn't playing like a $9 million a year player. Their best winger is Chris Kunitz for God's sake! They need help. When they won the Cup at least they had Guerin and Sykora. Pat their prime but could still finish. Now they rely on stone hands Dupuis and Tyler Kennedy to score. As I said, the D is not playing like they are supposed to be for what they are being payed. They leave Fleury out to dry time and again.

Like I said, Shero has to do something to jump start this team again.
If they can't overcome the loss of 1 player, no matter how good he is, they will not, nor do they deserve to, win a Cup. And it will just make it that much worse for Sid. If teams know that all they have to do is knock him out, that's what will happen. His new line will have to feature Godard and Rupp as the wings, with Engelland manning the blue line with Orpik, just to keep Sid upright.

·
20,126 Posts
Well, there is a little overreaction going here and as I stated about a month ago I think it is pretty clear that the Pens are not as good as their long winning streak but not as bad as their stretch before the streak or right now. They are simply just a team lacking an identity and one that talks about a style of play but can’t quite attain it. I am greatful we have the grinders that we do because they are priceless in professional hockey but what they desperately need to turn the corner is another finisher on the ice. Crosby and Malkin are it right now on that entire team. Staal is supposed to be it but I will not hold my breath from a scoring stand point with him this year. Depth at scoring positions is going to be a huge issue going down the stretch. They need to trade Goligoski while he is hot and get some real value in return. I really like him and he has a TON of upside but we have a system rich with offensive defensemen and although he is very talented he it totally expendable for this season and for the future. With Simon Despre growing quickly we just don’t need this many offensive defensemen. Gogo will fetch a decent winger. He’s could probably fetch a very high level player entering a free agency period or something.
They’ll be fine for now once Crosby returns but they just have to somehow get some more pop in the lineup at some point. Collapses like last night happen every year to every team but the key is to recognize the issues and work on improving them. Right now the issues are lack of offensive pop and WAY TOO MANY PENALTIES!!

On the bright side Fluery is still playing great and that is nice to see. None of those goals were his fault. Bylsma is not a good defensive coach. His defensive approach is predicated on possession in the offensive zone. Only problem is that he really seems to have no answer for when the puck is in our end.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
In the final minutes of that game I went from elated to disgusted.

Nothing of value to add this time. I just want to complain!

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
What bothers me more than anything is Bylsma's explanation when stuff like this happens. He'll always say something like "we didn't get to our game tonight" or "we let the other team dictate the play". His "game" is offensive pressure. Keep the puck in the offensive zone as long as possible and when the puck comes into the defensive zone get it out as soon as possible. Sounds simple but not really. The Pens are a team full of grinders that do a good job of fore checking down low in the offensive zone but they can't score. The opposing team just clogs up the slot and allows the Pens to work the boards because they can't score from there. They grind it out down low for a minute or so and then someone (usually Malkin, Goligoski or Dupuis) makes a bone headed turnover and allows the other team an odd man rush.

I love Sid and Geno but they are not able to beat d-men 1 on 1 like they have in the past. Sid scores most of his goals now by setting up to the right of the net and ripping home rebounds. Geno scores his goals by blasting one timers from the right hash mark on the PP.

Another problem I saw last night was players missing the net regularly. This happened on the PPs in the 2nd period at least 5 times. You can't get rebounds if you can't hit the net! Michalek, Malkin twice, Letang all missed the net and helped the Bruins out by basically clearing it out on their own. And let's not talk about that PP. Absolutely atrocious.

Like I said, this team need another finisher by the trade deadline to make another run at the Cup. Sid and Malkin both need someone that they can rely on to finish out there. The likes of Dupuis, Kennedy and Cooke will not do.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Malkin is supposed to be playing wing, and as such should be that finisher. He's not supposed to be lining up at wing and still playing like a center. Winger is not the playmaker. Geno has a very good shot. He should use it, and stop trying to stickhandle around 5 guys all the time.

As far as Bylsma goes, the Pens were successful in the 07-09 seasons because they could play whatever game you wanted to play. If you wanted a defensive struggle, they were able to do it. If you wanted a shootout, they happily could play that game. If you wanted to play Flyer hockey, they did that too. Bylsma is a terrible coach at adjusting if the game doesn't go according to plan. I luckily fell asleep between the 2nd and 3rd period last night. My guess is that the Pens kept trying to score and play in the opponents zone last night, and Bylsma encourages the defensemen to jump into the play. Problem is, you increase the chances for odd man breaks in that situation, and there is no need to do that in that situation. How many cross ice passes did they try in the third period?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts