The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Four or five years ago (supposedly) a lot of hogs escaped from a preserve (somewhere) in PA and were reproducing in the wild. It was a hot topic conversation for a couple of years, and the Game Commission wanted them eradicated, and then they said stop shooting them because the more you killed the more they reproduced. The last I heard they were showing up in the Butler area, but I can't confirm that, and I haven't heard any more about them for a couple of years now. So where are we at with the wild hog situation in PA? Are you guys seeing them anywhere? Have they been eradicated?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
...and then they said stop shooting them because the more you killed the more they reproduced...

I believe what they said was that in areas that the Dept of Agriculture was trying to trap them, you may not hunt / shoot them as that causes them to disperse, making trapping less effective. In other areas, you can kill them but must report the kill(s).

Hard for me to believe that there ever were more than a few, because once they are established they are so prolific that they quickly spread and become uncontrollable. You'd think they'd be everywhere by now.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
My theory is that there are a few around in PA, but not many.

Been a member on here since 2002 and can recall seeing 2 at the most of posts that contained kills.

There are quite a few skilled hunters on this site, and if they were in any great numbers I believe we would be some kill pics posted yearly.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard for me to believe that there ever were more than a few, because once they are established they are so prolific that they quickly spread and become uncontrollable. You'd think they'd be everywhere by now.
=joe8768 I wonder why we don’t see any reports of sightings on Huntingpa.com?
I agree. If there was any sizable population they'd be out of control by now and guys would be encountering them. I thought maybe there were still pockets of them somewhere that guys on here would know about. Maybe they were successful at trapping them? Just strange how the initial reports were apocoliptic and then 2 years later... nothing.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
There was a member that used to post on here that owned property in Bedford that bordered gamelands, and he was posting trail cam pics quite frequently. It was a lengthy thread that could probably be found in the archives. I'm pretty sure he was in Bedford.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Could it be because mountain lions and big foots eat them?
I wonder why we don’t see any reports of sightings on Huntingpa.com?
Come on guys! Those mountain lions and big foots are there but we're too busy typing on HPA to go out looking for them. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Could it be because mountain lions and big foots eat them?
Mountain lions are tough on a wild pig population...and ya can't really blame them - pork is delicious!

I posted a pic of a dead hog a few years ago. The Mennonite boy that lives behind my Dad's place had shot one while driving for deer somewhere in Bedford County. I stopped by to see it hanging from a tree limb at his house. I will post the pic if I come across it, but it's been quite a while.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts