The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
14,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/pennsylvania-legislator-seeks-to-ban-outside-dogs/

Pennsylvania State Representative Joseph Hohenstein has introduced House Bill 2104, which would make it a crime to leave a dog outside even on days with moderate temperatures. HB 2104, which is modeled after similar bills introduced in other states, requires that any dog left outside for more than 30 minutes have access to a shelter with a very specific building design. When temperatures are below 32 degrees, a dog is not allowed outside for more than 15 minutes, even if it has access to a shelter.

Take Action Today! Pennsylvania members and sportsmen should call their state representatives and ask them to vote NO on HB 2104. Members can contact their legislators by using the Sportsmen’s Alliance Legislative Action Center Directory.

House Bill 2104 would make it a crime to keep your dog in the back yard on a 65-degree day without access to a shelter. It would make it a crime to leave hunting dogs outside when the temperature is below freezing, even though they frequently hunt in these types of conditions. Pennsylvania law already has strict regulations that protect animals from neglect due to weather. Current law also recognizes the need to acclimate hunting dogs to weather conditions and provides an exemption for dogs used in hunting and field trials. This legislation would specifically remove these protections for sportsmen and their dogs!

“House Bill 2104 defies common sense and actually poses a threat to the health of hunting dogs that need to become used to the temperatures in which they will hunt.” said Jacob Hupp, associate director of state services with the Sportsmen’s Alliance. “Most days of the year have weather that doesn’t pose any threat to the health of dogs, and yet this bill would make it a crime to have your dog in your fenced in yard unless you have built a shelter. This bill is overkill.”

·
Administrator
29,563 Posts
If he has any experience with dogs at all it's probably with his own little apple headed foo foo dog which has been pampered and deferred to all it's life to the point where it thinks it's the alpha male of a pack of British Columbia gray wolves and it runs the house and will bite anybody anytime it pleases itself to do so.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
WOW I have to wonder what my uncles that used to have 6 to 8 coon dogs to run and trained them through the coldest days in winter, would think of this B.S.. Also they had a few beagles that they hunted rabbits with in late winter and all those dogs only had wooden coups with hay in the bottom and a old rug over the entrance. Only time them dogs where inside is if the temp. was going to be around 20 degrees or colder at night for a few nights and then they were put in the basement that wasn't all that warm either. They were hunting dogs and not babied at all.

·
Registered
18,561 Posts
I have been keeping track since last year when the law was passed about bringing dogs in at 32 and above 90. The tethered law we now have. By my count 0 dogs froze to death and 0 have died from the heat in our media area which seems like almost half a state. However by my count as reported by the local media at least 23 have died in house fires. Most when left alone inside the house.

I can't think of one PA dog that died from the cold or heat with the exception of some puppy mills that abandoned the animals.

If you ever look at any of the lost/ found dog sites and read some of the comments you would see where these ideas come from and the votes they are chasing with these feel good laws.

Animal rights activist are anti hunters and will take our tools away one at a time. The sad part is they are convincing non anti people that fall for the if you are cold they are cold. Waugh!

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
what about the homeless people ? why are they allowed outside to freeze to death ? i can solve that....give every homeless person a dog and they cant just take the dog away from the homeless person as they would claim its a comfort companion so they both get shelter :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
THIS SAID IT BEST! If you ever look at any of the lost/ found dog sites and read some of the comments you would see where these ideas come from and the votes they are chasing with these feel good laws.

"FEEL GOOD LAWS" wth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts