The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some info on the T/C Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine. I have one and I'm shooting 90 grains of FFG and a PA conical. My groups are nowhere near my buddies who is shooting a Firestorm.

What is the twist?

Are these guns traditionally not as accurate as the longer flinters?

Considering getting rid of it...

·
Registered
163 Posts
also try different rounds out of the gun you have to experiment with rounds and charges to find what your gun likes. I know mine likes 90gr of ffg with a 245gr powerbelt on top of that

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The twist is most likely 1/66 twist. Some were made with 1/48 twist. If it's not grouping well with the PA conicals it's probably the 1/66 twist.

Mine is 1/66 twist and I use 80 grains of Goex 2f. It will group around 3" at 75 yards with .490 roundball. It also shoots pretty well with 60 grains of Goex 3f.

I never could get the PA conicals to group well in my rifle.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Pa conical is made for 1/66 twist. Might like less powder or even fff. Wash that junk lubd they come with off and use as better veg, base lube. Crisco in a pinch works or even bore butter etc.... I like bear grease. Don't ignore a patch and ball....

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I had one up til a year ago. You are using WAY too much powder for that short thing. I think I ended up using around 55 or 60. Anymore than that and half of it doesn't get burnt up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too have one and my biggest problem with mine is the horrible trigger pull. I've gotten more comfortable with having the set triggers on both the renegade and hawken. The carbine needs less powder and my range was cut shorter with the little carbine. Good for quick shots off of a drive but for me, I'll take a heavier gun with better triggers and a little longer range.

But that's just me too.....

Best of luck with the little carbine

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I couldnt hit the broadside of a barn with! So I traded it for a TC renegade. With the set trigger, longer barrel and heavier weight, I shoot way better with the renegade.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe after the season. I'd be looking to trade for a Firestorm or get enough out of it to get another good quality muzzy.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My pa Hunter loves 70 grns FFF. With a 275 grns maxi Hunter. I shoot that combo in every tc I've ever shot and the all seem to love em. Puts deer on there backs quick too. Good luck.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The PA Hunter Carbine was designed specifically for round ball use. Our whole group uses an 80 grain load with a .490 ball and a .015 patch for the first two shots. Then we use a .010 patch after that. Ours are very accurate out to 100 yards. If you want to shoot maxi or sabot or conical bullets, buy a different gun. My brother didn't like the single trigger so he put his barrel on an old Hawken two trigger stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts