The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody subscribe to it? What do think of it? Just got a subscription offer and was considering it.

Dropped Outdoor life a few years ago and recently dropped Field & Stream. Both had become so lacking in interesting content and so full of advertisement that I completely lost interest in them.

I currently subscribe to Fur-Fish-Game and the Shooting Sportsman, also get American Hunter.

It it worth my while to subscribe to Pennsylvania Game & Fish?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’ve had a subscription to PA Game & Fish for a few years now. I’d recommend it. I always enjoy reading through it as pretty much everything in it is geared towards the state in which I live/hunt & fish. Always have good info & tips published in it, however as with most magazines, its packed full of advertisements.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
bucksbeware said:
..., however as with most magazines, its packed full of advertisements.
Without the advertisements, there would not be a magazine. Subscriptions and news stand sales supply a fraction of the cost to produce a magazine. We gotta take the bad with the good.

Steve.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Don't know aboout PA Feesh & Game. PGN is pretty good, and I know I'll get grief for this, but I like PON also...... and I'm not even a USP supporter.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Keep Fur Fish and Game and get PA game and fish its nice to read a magazine thats about PA and not Iowa or Colorado. They have some nice articles on PA where to hunt and fish.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
Without the advertisements, there would not be a magazine. Subscriptions and news stand sales supply a fraction of the cost to produce a magazine. We gotta take the bad with the good.
Steve.
Yep. Without advertisers, there would be no magazines. Subscriptions and sales do not cover the printing and other costs associated with bringing a magazine to print.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear what you guys are saying about advertising and I understand it's necessary.

BUT...I've been subscribing to some of these magazines for decades. I remember when they were fat with interesting content. Probably the same amount of advertising but it was offset by all the great articles.

Many of today's magazines have half or less of the pages/content they used to and that reduced amount of content isn't nearly as interesting, at least not to me. Today's writers just don't seem to be as good as those of yesteryear.

Outdoor life lost me when Mcmanus left. The articles in place of The Last Laugh featured sports "stars" who earned their way into a hunting magazine because they held a shotgun once or grew up on a farm where somebody used to hunt pheasants...

·
Registered
455 Posts
The issue of thinner magazines is real and it's also a function of cost. Please take my word as an outdoor writer that we'd love to do longer pieces and explore issues in more depth, but we're given the space constraints ahead of time by the editors and their constraints are set by print cost per page and the amount of ad space sold. As to the quality of today's writers vs. those of the past, I'll let others weigh in on that.

To add a little more answer to your original question, PA G&F leans more toward strategy and tips articles: "where to find the biggest..." or "how to hunt (insert species here) in (early, mid, late) season." Because these articles are mostly specific to PA and each issue tends to touch on multiple regions of the state, the content feels a little more neighborly. Game News, of course, has fewer tip-type articles and more of the "Me and Joe" type.

Apples and oranges - but I love all kinds of fruit!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
A few years back I didn't renew my subscription to PA Game & Fish because they sent back to back issues that had a PA cover but only contained articles for a mid-western state.
I actually liked the magazine, because it featured a lot of info on local hunting and fishing but when I called their c/s deptartment regarding the errant issues, they didn't seem too interested in correcting their mistake.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
American frontiersman is a good one too but I think its only going to come out once a year. It has hunting trapping,fishing,tanning, and other outdoor stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts