The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
459 Posts
sounds promising, only didn't mention less hunters. So to believe on the numbers of harvests is hard to believe. I used to hear shots constantly all day long, not any more. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
949 Posts
sounds promising, only didn't mention less hunters. So to believe on the numbers of harvests is hard to believe. I used to hear shots constantly all day long, not any more. What does that tell you?
well it’s less hunter’s with more tags!!!
Years ago it was one tag, buck or doe.
Then the doe tag if you were lucky.
Now there are guys going out with 4-6 tags in their pockets.
lots of guys I know have 2 to 4 deer in their freezer or canned by the end of archery. Some won’t even hunt in rifle season if they have tags. They wait til after Christmas.
The old ww2 rifle hunting only gang and their kids are gone for the most part. My generation and after are more into archery, crossbow, muzzy stuff then the woolrich clad guys from 20 plus years ago and beyond.
It has changed forever.

·
Banned
459 Posts
less hunters more tags? More tags for less hunters? Most guys I know only have a regular license. Buck only. The PGC ALWAYS sells out of anterless tags every year in 3A... even with less hunters. Deer bed down and stay down.. so much for more tags.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Ya can’t hear bows going off milboltnut, what does that tell ya.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
less hunters more tags? More tags for less hunters? Most guys I know only have a regular license. Buck only. The PGC ALWAYS sells out of anterless tags every year in 3A... even with less hunters. Deer bed down and stay down.. so much for more tags.
You really don't understand a lick do ya? But again, you are entertaining.

There may be less hunters (still over 700,000 out there) but each hunter often has more tags than they used to. And also more of those hunters are hunting and being successful in other seasons besides rifle. And even many that hunt rifle have changed when they do it, a number of hunters actually wait until the second week to really spend multiple days hunting when does become legal in most units. Yes, many if not all units sell out of doe tags, there are several rounds of tag sales and hunters can apply for at least 1 tag each round. And how many hunters do you still actually know to know that they only have a regular license? By your own admission you barely spend time where you hunt and how many days each season are you taking the old Buick to even hunt here when you do? You said you didn't even hunt PA this year either.

·
Banned
459 Posts
You really don't understand a lick do ya? But again, you are entertaining.

There may be less hunters (still over 700,000 out there) but each hunter often has more tags than they used to. And also more of those hunters are hunting and being successful in other seasons besides rifle. And even many that hunt rifle have changed when they do it, a number of hunters actually wait until the second week to really spend multiple days hunting when does become legal in most units. Yes, many if not all units sell out of doe tags, there are several rounds of tag sales and hunters can apply for at least 1 tag each round. And how many hunters do you still actually know to know that they only have a regular license? By your own admission you barely spend time where you hunt and how many days each season are you taking the old Buick to even hunt here when you do? You said you didn't even hunt PA this year either.
so the multiple tags they buy....how many do they fill? Do they get lucky and fill them? I doubt it. I really do. That's what you miss here....... Do you know how many tags are filled, NO you don't. Do you see on CAMERA what's out there? If you do, how often you see them while you hunt or better yet land on your tail gate? My wifes nephew has a camera but hasn't come home with one yet. Why is that? Gee I guess I'll never now? Oh yeah he hunts alone.

Less deer are taken just admit it. What pressures people to get out of bed and go to work, bills. Sounds like deer need pressure to keep moving too. Admit it.

The PGC says that licenses has dropped considerably.... during rifle season. Hope that helps, but you really don't undestand a lick, do you?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can explain it pretty well with three groups of people two hunting camps I know, our camp and a couple buddies that hunt the SRA/red tag. The two hunting camps I know have a total of 20 plus members and got maybe 3 deer total. Our camp was slightly higher than 1 to 1 because some got multiple deer, some got one deer and some got none. Then there are the SRA/Red tag guys who have quite a few deer between them since they can get more tags.

So if we look at it that way in my small sample 10 guys killed 20+ deer while 20 guys got none.

·
Banned
459 Posts
so it evens out..... ok. So pressure isn't always the answer. Just trying to get the education I never received before I started to hunt. It was limited, and so is my harvest rate since 03'

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Haven't heard a single one during rifle season..... but maybe you're on to something !
Or maybe it’s time to visit an audiologist?
I hear way less shots in 3C now compared to 25 years ago, but as has been said, can’t hear a bowstring from across the ridge or valley.
But I still hear shooting and see deer in pickups.
I would’ve thought seeing how your other thread went you’d have realized that what you seem to be seeing or experiencing is NOT the current state of affairs for the majority.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Or maybe it’s time to visit an audiologist?
I hear way less shots in 3C now compared to 25 years ago, but as has been said, can’t hear a bowstring from across the ridge or valley.
But I still hear shooting and see deer in pickups.
I would’ve thought seeing how your other thread went you’d have realized that what you seem to be seeing or experiencing is NOT the current state of affairs for the majority.
I have come to the conclusion that I am missing something as far as strategy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that I am missing something as far as strategy.
The biggest difference I’ve seen is that those that hunt together do better than those that hunt by themselves. That group of 20 is full of selfish pricks, they don’t bother to hunt as a group because that could mean that someone else might get their deer. This is why they have such a low harvest rate, on the flip side you have the SRA/Red tag guys. In their case they are hunting properties where you can’t throw a rock without hitting a deer so they have plenty of harvest opportunities with little to no effort.

Then you have our camp, we hunt as a group and some of the members have been hunting the same properties for over 40 years. They know the deer movement, know where they walk naturally on the opening morning and then know where they will run when pushed on a drive. We get approximately half of our deer sitting while the other half we get pushing deer to each other. For us, working together ensures that everybody gets the best opportunity to take a deer and we regularly change stands and take turns driving to make sure people get a fair shake.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
My local Deer processor did 1000 Deer by the end of the 2019 Archery season.
At the end of the 2020 Archery season he did 1800 Deer.
They were concerned about being able to keep up with the up coming rifle season and put on
their website to call ahead before dropping off your Deer.

·
Banned
459 Posts
Ok..... I know when I'm beat.

Guess I shouldn't judge the area I hunted. Also when I still hunt, there's plenty I haven't learned and what I did learn I didn't practice. I moved around too fast, I know that. I sat long periods of time, but then the wind busted me. Being boxed in you really can't move to far, that's why I went to SGL. My brother in law called me jimmy legs. Since then I have been alot more patient. Since being on this CPAP machine for sleep apnea I am alot more patient.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
State of the deer herd at most locations I hunt coyotes at night.......would make most people crap their pants...ya crap their pants. 20....30+ deer out in a SINGLE 25 acre cut fields with the right crop

Reactions: Pennsyborn

·
Registered
12,850 Posts
I can give you my example. I had 4 tags. 1 buck tag, 1- 1A tag and 2- 1B tags. I filled all 4. 1 doe in early muzzleloader in 1B, 1 doe in rifle in 1A, 1 doe in rifle season 1B and 1 buck in rifle season in 1B. I got 2 from a stand and 2 still-hunting very slowly. Sometimes you gotta stalk deer or move to get them. I really love the mix of styles of hunting and be ready and willing to change you hunting location and style of hunting and sometimes style of weapon. I saw a good amount of deer. I will go for 4 antlerless tags next year for sure. The old law states no more than 3 in the main areas, but with 4, that opens thing up even more if available.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Last day a few years ago, I took a pic of 47 in a five acre field in the SRA. Saw 40 in one small hay field this year. The issue is posted property and fewer hunters.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Plenty of deer in my part of 3B. I’m about ready to flip my stance on concurrent seasons. After years of filling my buck tag during archery this past season killed me. I didn’t realize that bear didn’t start on the opener, so I had to sit in camp..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts