The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penn State to introduce Paterno's replacement Saturday

Thursday - 1/5/2012

WASHINGTON -- It appears Penn State has a new football coach.

ESPN is reporting that New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brian will be introduced on Saturday.

O'Brian coached running backs at Maryland in 2004 and 2005, and played college football at Brown University, which is Joe Paterno's alma mater.

Paterno was fired two months ago in the aftermath of a child sex abuse scandal. He'd coached the Nittany Lions for 46 years.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I have more HC experience than O'Brien. The entire search seems to be a debacle and poorly managed from the get-go. That said, PSU has had jack-all for coaches the last 20 yrs, so anyone would be a breath of fresh air. I'm still seriously underwhelmed. That's about as nice as I can put it on here.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Why haven't we heard anything from PSU or Joyner? You'd think PSU would be proud of their hire and not bury the PC in the middle of NFL football. And he won't even be with the team during recruiting. Break out the blue tarps and cover the upper decks of Beaver Stadium. If I were a small business owner in SC I'd be looking really hard at my bottom line.

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1315395

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure he is going to come in and clean house. Looks like Jay might have to finely get a real job.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I'd love to be at his first practice when he gets a look at what we have in the stable for QB. HAHAHA! Going from Brady to Bolden. MWAHAHAHAHAMWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
He flipped out and got in Brady's face on the sideline the other day during a game. He can't be all that bad!

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I guess I look at it like it can't get any worse than Paterno's last 15 years and having Jay and Galen running the Spread HD. No way it gets worse than that

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Personally I like the pick. The man obviously knows his stuff offensively and played D in college. I like it. I for one am on the wagon with this guy. Hopefully he doesn't drive it off a cliff.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PSU had to do something to try and get out in front of the cart if they want to salvage their present football team. Leaving things dangle and keeping Tom Bradley in for now would hurt them more in terms of recruitment and retaining present players going forward.
I am sure he will be bringing in his own coaches and might have had it implied to him during his interview they are not interested in retaining any of their present staff.
Now the University needs to act as quickly about insuring what went on never happens again. If they don’t it will be viewed that PSU really only cares about football and didn’t learn a darn thing out of this.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Agreed and this starts with getting rid of everyone who was there during the scandal including (sadly) coaches who probably knew nothing about it. Even the waterboys and guys that line the field should be replaced. New faces for a new image.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LJ is an OK pick, I read where he had applied for the HC position.
Guess with all the problems PSU has going they didn't need any Affirmative action accusations.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
LJ Sr is a good one to keep. Most likely will be the only one remaining from the current staff. He is a force when it comes to recruiting and has coached some great def linemen.

The part that scared me the most was when O'Brien was talking about running a gameplan offense. These kids are only allowed 20 hours per week for football. 3 hours of that is for the game. That leaves 17 hours per week for practice, watching film, etc. It isn't the pros. They can't be changing the offense every week to fit the defenses that they are playing.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I don't think the University will put a lot of emphasis
on the football program right away I think O'Brien will have a very small window to produce respectable seasons.
The alumni will insist on it and that translates into dollars to fund other projects at the school.

Today was a big day for the new coach and what he said today I am sure will be changed before the Navy game in week 3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts