The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of recent developments, what does everyone think of that is going on in Happy Valley? I'm gonna withhold my opinion until this thread gets going, I doubt my view will be very popular.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
What happened was awful and an ultimate disregard for safety and lack of judgment.
As irresponsible as this appears it should not overshadow all that is right about the school.
We(public) have obligations to the kids and people working at the university.
If the catholic church can survive the scandalous events of late, PSU will weather this and have no long range affect at all.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Obviously, Schultz and Curley need to go. I refuce to believe that Graham didn't know about this if those two did so he should go too. JoePa needs to resign at the very least. Even though he did what he was required to do, he still should have called the police himself. For goodness sakes it happened in his own locker room. And now JoePa is saying that McQueary, who was the grad student hat told him about it 10 years ago, didn't tell him that anything explicit happened and said it was just inappropriate. If you see an old man raping a young boy would you describe it as 'inapproriate'? Paterno is throwing his assistant coach and basically the face of the penn state sideline under the bus to save his own hide.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Paterno and Spannier need to go and Schultz, Curley and Sandusky need to go to jail!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
On the surface, it doesn't look too good for Joepa in terms of what is morally right. Information like this gets passed to you and your actions, while putting you on the legal end of things, sure seem to be near the bear minimum of what it appears he should have/could have done and did not. Your Joe Paterno- you can get ahold of anyone necessary to assure this is properly followed up on from the PA Aty. Gen. to the Commander of the state police. If he comes out tomorrow and says PSU security and the university followed up on it and DA Gricar found no reason to pursue it after the university reported thier findings to the Center County DA I think I'll vomit. Tough to see a scenario where Joepa didn't drop the ball horribly in terms of what he was capable of doing and what he actually did. It saddens me when I think of how this effects Penn State and sickens me that I think about it in those terms. Really can't get my head around someone doing that to youngsters and someone able to put a stop to it and not doing everything possible to do so. Unthinkable. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The stench from this will be hanging over Happy Valley for years. Its absolutely disgraceful. Shame on the admin for sweeping it under the carpet, shame on Paterno for passing the buck and shame on that grad student for not intervening when he saw what was going on. From his testimony, he witnessed the rape of a child and did nothing to stop it. Evil thrives when a blind eye is turned.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm enrolled in penn state but I wouldnt describe myself as a penn state fan. at the same time, it is a shame to think this is how joepa is going to go and probably be remembered to some extent. On the other hand, when it happens on university property and top administrators take steps to cover it up, I think heads need to roll.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
thats a good point BH, mcqueary waited a day to tell paterno about it. regardless of how he described it to paterno, he should have called the police at the very least and ideally done something to intervene when he had the chance. 10 years later and the nightmare is just now beginning to end for the victims.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
That nightmare will never end. They'll live with that their whole lives. The irreprable harm it causes can't be erased. That grad student should have intervened and then told Paterno, not run away and leave the kid there with a predator. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he at least spoke up but it turned out to be in vain. It could have stopped there but it was permitted to go on for several more years.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paterno had a MONSTER working for him and he passed the buck. Not only should he be run out of town on a rail, but he's lucky he's not being charged. He RUNS that place! As far as I'm concerned, anything he's accomplished is tainted by this.

Spanier should resign in disgrace. Curley and Shulz should be imprisoned. And what should be done with Sandusky, I cant say without fear of being banned. He is a despicable subhuman piece of..... He RAN a charity for troubled kids! How can anything good that was done there outshine the idea that Sandusky used it as his personal hunting ground?

I went to Penn State. I dont dislike Paterno, or at least I didn't until all this came to light. But, right now, I'm ashamed to say I ever went there.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
He is a despicable subhuman piece of..... He RAN a charity for troubled kids! How can anything good that was done there outshine the idea that Sandusky used it as his personal hunting ground?
The most reprehensible, disgusting and unimaginably sick allegations.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Danesdad said:
He RAN a charity for troubled kids! How can anything good that was done there outshine the idea that Sandusky used it as his personal hunting ground?
The sole purpose he started that "charity" was to further his sick agenda. He is a predator and adept in identifying his victims. At risk kids are an easier mark than some well adjusted kid from a good home. He didn't care about those kids. He knew it would put him in close contact with a plethora of potential victims. And people who had the power to stop it turned a blind eye and let it go on.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peppy said:
He is a despicable subhuman piece of..... He RAN a charity for troubled kids! How can anything good that was done there outshine the idea that Sandusky used it as his personal hunting ground?
The most reprehensible, disgusting and unimaginably sick allegations.
I hope this turns out to be ONLY allegations, but the attorney general is investing a LOT of time and resources into this. It does NOT look good.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buckethead said:
Danesdad said:
He RAN a charity for troubled kids! How can anything good that was done there outshine the idea that Sandusky used it as his personal hunting ground?
The sole purpose he started that "charity" was to further his sick agenda. He is a predator and adept in identifying his victims. At risk kids are an easier mark than some well adjusted kid from a good home. He didn't care about those kids. He knew it would put him in close contact with a plethora of potential victims. And people who had the power to stop it turned a blind eye and let it go on.
I cant help but believe the same thing.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Is it legal to post the actual grand jury indictment here? To be honest, I hope not. After reading it, it is the most disgusting thing I have ever read. I hope Sandusky is placed in general population, with every inmate and guard informed of exactly what he did, and how he did it. The criminal justice system fails to render justice to pedophiles--inmate justice, however, will not.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Buckethead said:
The sole purpose he started that "charity" was to further his sick agenda.
Seems that way... the creep.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Totally disgusted with the whole situation. All I can say is to pray for those kids who were abused and all the families involved. I have no idea how anyone could abuse kids like that. It's just horrible.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Exactly. And those who, as Buckethead said, turned a blind eye to it and allowed it to continue are just as guilty as JS. Unimagineable. Unthinkable.

Pray for the victims and their familes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
rancher00 said:
I really hope Penn State doesn't pay for Curley and Shultz's legal fees. That's not what students pay tuition for.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts