The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this be the year to go all the way??

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
No.

They have a lot of talent but it is mostly young talent. I am still rooting for them but it would be a miracle if it all could jell this season. Fingers crossed that I am wrong. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
All the way? Not likely.

Like Jim said, a lot of talent this year, but young. Very promising for the next couple of seasons, but I fully expect a "let down" or "over-confidence" loss or two this season. Not to mention the difficulty of getting through the Big 10 unscathed. It's a TOUGH conference.

Also, we can't forget that the scandals are still fresh in a lot of pollsters' minds. They could run the table and still be ranked 3rd or 4th under 1 or even 2-loss teams.

·
Registered
19,764 Posts
Not this season but definitely next.
I think they end up with a 10-2 record and both losses will be to big 10 teams, Michigan and Ohio State.
Once the young offense has a season under its belt next year they run the table.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No chance. Don’t get carried away by an easy win over an overmatched mediocre opponent. They have a young QB in his first year as a starter. I think 9 wins would be a good season for them. They will probably be 4th or 5th in the Big Ten. I hope they do better than that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
No chance. Don’t get carried away by an easy win over an overmatched mediocre opponent. They have a young QB in his first year as a starter. I think 9 wins would be a good season for them. They will probably be 4th or 5th in the Big Ten. I hope they do better than that.
TT, I think your on the right track.Qb will be a downgrade this year, 4 running backs none who separated from the pack, offensive cordinator who is still suspect, wide recevier group still dominated by the droppsie group from last season, another year of this could be the year of the offensive line.....I see big offensive breakdowns against tough teams. Different story on defense IF a leader or two emerge, defensive coaching is a good constant for us. I see 9 wins at best if we stay healthy and develope. Almost forgot, did anyone learn clock management this off-season Mr. Franklin. Been a lot of big talk the last several years, getting time for some consistantly big results. Recruiting has been strong, much else has been mediocre.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonight Buffalo will provide PSU another good tune-up game addressing weakness's etc before taking on Pitt next week. I'm hopeful that they will give their tough October/November opponents a run for their money...with a lil luck of course. Only football I enjoy watching anymore.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slow start with Buffalo but decent finish. BOTTOMLINE 2-0!!!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Tonight Buffalo will provide PSU another good tune-up game addressing weaknesses etc. before taking on Pitt next week. I'm hopeful that they will give their tough October/November opponents a run for their money...with a lil luck of course. Only football I enjoy watching anymore.
Penn State looked terrible until the third quarter, but turned it on then. I don't think Pitt is very good this year.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Best result was a decrease in dropped passes, still room for some improvement. Defense as a group mediocre. Offensive line , ugh, no help for the running backs who did not live up to we have 4 starters. Coaching needs to change something in the game preparation. They have days to come up with a game plan then once again look lost the entire first half. In 10 min at half time they figure it out. Maybe they scheme and over think in the days leading up to the game. Time might be better spent in how to block and tackle. But a win is a win, no matter if it's not pretty.

·
Registered
535 Posts
They get all these 3 and 4 star lineman, especially offensive linemen, and we keep having inadequate results. Seems like a coach them up problem.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah....PITT will likely be another good "tune-up" game but the "tune-up" period is soon coming to an end. Hopefully, all cylinders will be firing when the tough Big 10ers enter the track!!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Best result was a decrease in dropped passes, still room for some improvement. Defense as a group mediocre. Offensive line , ugh, no help for the running backs who did not live up to we have 4 starters. Coaching needs to change something in the game preparation. They have days to come up with a game plan then once again look lost the entire first half. In 10 min at half time they figure it out. Maybe they scheme and over think in the days leading up to the game. Time might be better spent in how to block and tackle. But a win is a win, no matter if it's not pretty.

I stated last year when the line all went to the draft this year would be a test to coaching. Seems like they did not scout these first 2 teams and did the scouting in the first half and came up with a game plan for the second half. So my take is the coaches were unprepared or overconfident.

If they don't find a running game there will be no passing game. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Tell me again how the O line was not hurt by the underclassmen drafted. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If this was a big 10 crew PSU will lose 3 or more this year. Very one sided officiating on important calls. Waugh!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Will this be the year to go all the way??
Not ever!!! With Franklin as the coach. He is terrible! I would like to see an offensive line somewhere in the near future.
Was no bigger psu fan then me. Now I can’t hardly stand to watch them. This isn’t psu football. This is crap. May get trimmed up against Maryland.. at least 4 losses this year.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not ever!!! With Franklin as the coach. He is terrible! I would like to see an offensive line somewhere in the near future.
Was no bigger psu fan then me. Now I can’t hardly stand to watch them. This isn’t psu football. This is crap. May get trimmed up against Maryland.. at least 4 losses this year.
YEP!! A disgusting 3-0 so far!! lol

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
These games against Buffalo and Pitt have exposed the O line as a weakness. They're not going to hold up through the Big 10 schedule. They look decent running the ball, but the pass protection is a major concern. This is like Pitt's superbowl, so I never expected a blow out, but PSU pass rush wasn't nearly as effective as I thought they would be.

The thing I can't understand about today's game was that PSU went on that 1 long drive and scored a TD, much of which was done on the back of Noah Cain, but I don't think the kid played another snap after that series. I don't get it. If you're going to rotate 4 backs you have to play the hot hand.

I'm predicting a 3 loss season at this point.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
That Pitt QB looked good but chocked when the game was on the line.

The PSU QB looked raw with a lot of up side to him when he gets to know his receivers better. The kid has guts and played well under pressure. Franklin needs to provide a dump off man for him. A TE with hands will open up that long ball and they need to run to set up the pass not pass to set up the run. That line has to do better. The secondary needs plenty of work. Waugh!

1 - 20 of 161 Posts