The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully it'll be a good game. I don't believe Penn State can win win this game but I'm hoping they can. I kinda wish they wouldn't have rescheduled ths series from 2004-5 when Bama was on probation. What ya think?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Doesn't seem too many "experts" believe PSU can win either. Used to be we would go into these games with the expectation of a win, now not so much. I've been a fan since the early 60's and now find myself thinking we don't have much of a chance.

Alabama has some weakness on offense that can be exploited and a fairly inexperienced D-line. PSU's running game will be the difference in a win. PSU also has a great secondary and very good linebackers with depth. If the D-line can have a big game there is a chance. Good QB play (whoever it is will be critical) as well as no dumb mistakes and penalties. It could be a very good game if the cards fall right.

Here is a good take on what is at stake and why everyone has grown pessimistic over the last 10 years. Time to turn this ship around.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/32117/huge-opportunity-awaits-penn-state

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's a matter of players. The SEC conference gets tons of great players and the Big 10 doesn't, bottom line. wish it was different.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
...a reality check after playing that community college.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Ill be at the game. I dont think they can win, but I sure hope they do.

Couple things that give me hope that PSU can pull it of is Alabamas QBs threw 4 picks and fumbled against Kent St, and Trent Richardson only ran for 37 yards on 13 carries.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
clermont said:
The SEC conference gets tons of great players and the Big 10 doesn't, bottom line. wish it was different.
Some good reasons for that.

Interesting stat from LSU game the other night. LSU is something like 29-1 vs out of conference opponents. Lone loss, Penn State.

Football in Nov is much different in the Big Ten than in the SEC. Notice that the SEC never plays in the cold. Also heard once that Florida seldom plays any out of conference games outside of Florida.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
they are on right now........BTN(big ten network)

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bearhollow said:
clermont said:
The SEC conference gets tons of great players and the Big 10 doesn't, bottom line. wish it was different.

Interesting stat from LSU game the other night. LSU is something like 29-1 vs out of conference opponents. Lone loss, Penn State.Football in Nov is much different in the Big Ten than in the SEC. Notice that the SEC never plays in the cold. Also heard once that Florida seldom plays any out of conference games outside of Florida.
And that loss was on a terrible field. Had the weather not been bad the outcome probably would have been different. The south grows great athletes and the best of them go to the SEC, can't blame them. Who wants to play in snow. Hopefully the pendulum will swing again. Although I enjoy SEC football, I'm tired of hearing from their fans.

·
Registered
7,711 Posts
I think Mr. Paterno is wearing those same glasses today.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
clermont said:
bearhollow said:
clermont said:

Interesting stat from LSU game the other night. LSU is something like 29-1 vs out of conference opponents. Lone loss, Penn State.Football in Nov is much different in the Big Ten than in the SEC. Notice that the SEC never plays in the cold. Also heard once that Florida seldom plays any out of conference games outside of Florida.
And that loss was on a terrible field. Had the weather not been bad the outcome probably would have been different. The south grows great athletes and the best of them go to the SEC, can't blame them. Who wants to play in snow. Hopefully the pendulum will swing again. Although I enjoy SEC football, I'm tired of hearing from their fans.
The weather is a part of the game that makes it interesting. I recall a PSU/Navy game played in a monsoon that PSU lost. Win some, lose some. That's why the game is played on the field and the statisticians don't just write wins/loses on paper based on who should win.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts