The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like Franklin said yesterday.....playing like an inexperienced team. Glad they knocked off PITT but with a tough schedule ahead...hoping they can get their act together. Only football I watch anymore so I sure hope our Nittany Lions can stay in the running to keep things interesting!!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That was like a game of two halves. Pitt was trying to give the game away in the first half and Penn State wasn't accepting it. I guess they graciously decided to capitalize in the third quarter.

I was half-watching the second half so I don't know what adjustments they made, but it's going to be tough coming away with wins against OSU, MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin with the middle of the defense playing like they did the first half of the game. There was no fighting through blocks and the linebackers and safeties looked afraid to make a tackle.

This offense is going to put up 35 points or so against most opponents I reckon. I just don't think that's going to be enough some of these big 10 games.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Not clicking on all cylinders. The D looked like they could not stop a mini football team. The receivers could not catch a cold and made their short QB look even shorter. The O line seemed ok on a sloppy field but not like the line they really are or were last year. I think they need to establish the run game into a north south game if they want to play with the big boys this year. Our secondary was untested in this game hard to tell if they improved from the first.

I could accept the passing TD to the backup. That was designed to keep them honest against the run but turned into a TD.

I did not like the review even when it looked like he was right. A little bit of class would have gone a long way. First time coach Franklin has let me down.
Prediction I see a two loss season at best. Hope I am wrong. Waugh!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Scoring 40-50 points per game, they will be in every game. As the season goes on, the defense will get itself together. Good adjustments made last night after they firgured out Pitt couldn't throw the ball. Offensive line better than last year. Running game with time will be as good as last year. Receivers need to hang onto the ball, although conditions last night were a bit rough. Some of the young receivers may begin to see more playing time if the regulars don't step up. Hamler is something special. There are a ton of players getting good playing time under pressure conditions. Parson's made some big steps after the first game. He will get better every game. App State was just the type of opener they needed. Kent State will be another good test this week.

I think Franklin was telling his team last not that the game isn't over until the final whistle. Lesson learned from the App State game.

Another 10+ win season.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
They lost almost half of their starting defense, and the entire secondary, to the NFL draft last year. I have no idea how anyone reasonably expects them to replace that, let alone by the first two games of this season. They need to get better than they are as a defensive unit, and they will.
As was stated before, those receivers need to do a MUCH better job of catching the ball. With Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State on the schedule, I will be fairly happy if they finish 10-2 this year and then you never know what you'll get in the bowl game.
They've lost a lot of weaponry since last year...after the NCAA penalties that they went through, it's a miracle that we are even talking about them playing at this level...

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sept 29 they will have their first real test vs No. 4 Ohio State. Ole Urban will be back in the saddle by then. Be nice if our Nittany Lions could give him a "friendly" welcome!! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
A lot of new people in new places on D. Give this time, it will be fine. This is a much more athletic team than we have had in any other year of the CJF era. The experience will come, and when it does, look out.

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PSU's first Big 10 game of the season on tap Friday night(9/21)!! Hoping our boys quickly take the fight out of the Illinois Fighting Illini!!:smile2:

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Definitely strange watching PSU on a Friday night! Took a little while, but they pulled away in the second half! For the Glory... WE ARE....... PENN STATE!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I believe college game day will be there on Saturday, great atmosphere for the students and fans. I know my youngest son is pumped who goes there. Also if my oldest has the day off from fall baseball, he’ll be making the 3 1/2 hour drive from his college to go up also.

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a fun weekend ahead!! I toured stadium when my Daughter was looking for a college but never been to a game there. Neat place!!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Penn State has not played a complete football game yet. They've been starting slow and finishing strong. If they have a slow start against the Buckeyes, it may be too late for that strong second half. I hate to say it, but I just have a feeling that Ohio State will be too much for them to handle. I hope I am wrong, but I will say 31 to 20 OSU.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
McSorley seems to thrive on come from behind ball. If I recall correctly in many of their wins in 2017 over teams that were of any consequence they overcame a deficit to win.

Ohio State will be the first real test this year. I have to agree with Kudu's assessment of the outcome . I too hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
23,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
PSU certainly held their own right down to the last minute with the No 4 team in the country.Franklin admitted last play call was a bad one...which it was. Good game to watch though.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
With a running back like #9, that last call was a poor one. PSU did prove worthy of a top ten team, good to know they are a capable team this year. It was an exciting game throughout.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts