The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a lyman deerstalker but found a Penn Hunter Carbine .50, 22 inch barrel 1:48 twist rate.
Any knowledge or feedback would be helpful before I move on it..will mainly be used for whitetail here in PA..Thanks,

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
My son has one and he loves it. The last deer I killed with a flintlock was with that rifle. I know they are a little hard to find and go fast when you see one for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son has one and he loves it. The last deer I killed with a flintlock was with that rifle. I know they are a little hard to find and go fast when you see one for sale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, especially if the price is reasonable.
any concerns with that short of a barrel?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Hasn't been a problem so far. Keep in mind that neither of us are experts, so we keep our shooting within a reasonable range. I don't have any trouble keeping 2-3 inch groups at 50yds.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Grab it.They are great weapons and cherished over the standard version.I assume it,s used though and if it is get yourself a drop in bore light to inspect the inside of the barrel.If you can,t do that seein how it has been cared for should give you a good idea on it,s overall condition.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Shorter barrel might do better with FFFg over FFg.ANY muzzleloader should get less then 1 1/2" at 50 yds. if you get the right RB/patch/powder combo.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I once read something about a group of men that were at a gathering in the 1750's. One man was bragging about how good his rifle shot. He had been shooting at this gathering and not doing all that great, and someone remarked that it didn't appear that his rifle was all that great. The fellow with the rifle proposed a wager with the fellow that made the remark, he offered the commentator the first shot. A mark was placed and the first fellow shot, coming close to the mark. When it was time for the fellow with the rifle in question to shoot, he said "OK, Don, time for you to shoot". A young man stepped up and settled down on the rifle. The other shooter protested "what is this" he exclaimed. "You can't have another man shoot for you". The owner of the rifle retorted "The wager is who has the better rifle, not who is the better shot. Shoot the mark, Don". The young man took the shot, dead center of the mark. As the young man handed the rifle back to its' owner the loser in the competition said "that was good shooting Don". The young man replied "The name is Dan'l, Dan'l Boone".

While most ML rifles should be cable of 1.5" groups at 50 yards, not all shooters are. Especially if it's a flinter. A 3" group is good enough as long as the shooter limits his shots.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
At one point back in the 90's we had something like 8 different PA Hunters or PA Hunter Carbines in our hunting camp...... the only real complaint with them was the triggers.
Every single one of them had what any sane person would classify as a horrible trigger. My personal rifle, a full length Oct/Round version, had something like a 13-14lb trigger pull. You had to pull it twice to get it to fire :wink2: :grin2:
It was flat awful.
The single triggers were so bad that most of us installed a T/C Renegade double set trigger group and guard.
Made them "one of a kind" type guns even though we had a half dozen of them converted LOL
REALLY improved the shootability by leaps and bounds.

I had mine until a couple years ago where I finally sold it to a family member just starting out.

(I attached a couple of pics of mine how it looked converted to a double trigger for giggles.....)

If you can, check the trigger pull to see if you can live with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Yeah, the triggers aren't the greatest. I had a guy work on the factory trigger. Reduced the pull down to about 5 lbs, that's all the lower he could get it. Still a far cry from a set trigger, but better than from the factory!

I have the same sling set up as the one in the pic. Definitely go with a regular swivel on the barrel, not the slip it through the rod method that results in the rod slipping out and the gun wanting to slide off your shoulder.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
The triggers are easy to dress up.My firestorm needed a come-a-long to operate when it was new.It was slick as slop when I got done with it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Guys I know who have or had TC PA Hunter's, swear by this set trigger as an upgrade and fix that makes them shoot a whole lot nicer.

https://www.redaviscompany.com/1007.html

As for the 1:48 ... with proper ball/patch, lube, and charge combo, it will shoot just fine. And You can shoot bullits or other more modern projectiles a touch better than a 1:60s barrel.

And carbine just means You can hunt the thick stuff! :-D

If the price is right, I see no reason not to purchase it!

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
I owned both the full barrel and carbine at one time and sold them both off because the triggers were horrid. I should have kept one and replaced the trigger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts