·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MEMORANDUM

Posted: March 7, 2013 12:47 PM

To: All House members

Subject: Annual One-day Sales Tax Exclusion Date – Firearms Purchases

In the near future, I will introduce legislation providing an annual one-day sales tax exclusion date on the retail purchase of a firearm by an individual. The exclusion date will be August 30 of each year.

To accommodate applicable laws regarding firearms purchases, the bill will allow an individual to qualify for the exclusion by paying the purchase price by cash or credit on the exclusion date, even if delivery takes place afterward.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=12036

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I love the concept, but I can see every single gun store in the state turning into a madhouse that would rival any Black Friday sale. We'd get a ton of out-of-staters as well, which might be a blessing or a curse.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep... but that Black Friday would be OURS!!

I really thought the main comment would be that it was proposed at the same time the kids go back to school and there would be no money left..

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Didn't think about that, but then again, I don't have any kids yet:)

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I doubt it would do anything but increase the gun sales for a single day each year. Guys who are thinking about buying a gun will wait for the tax free day. It would put off buying on the other days of the year and pull forward gun purchases that would have been made later.

Gun stores would be packed, backround checks would take forever, and I don't think it would result in more gun sales, just concentrate them on one day a year.

We'd probably be better of watching the sales fliers and buying when shops have them specially priced.

It sounds like something done by MR. Pyle simply to try to get some votes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it were to be done I think it would be better to spread it out over the course of a few days. Something like a fri, sat, sun, mon. The call in system is bogged down now, one day would make it worse.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I don't see the need for it.
This would not result in more purchases it would merely consolidate purchases into a single day, or days depending on alternative proposals.
I never considered sales tax as an impediment to purchasing a gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts