·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MEMORANDUM

Posted: February 28, 2013 03:25 PM

To: All Senate members

Subject: Memo #12 - Hunting License Increase

In the near future, I intend to reintroduce legislation that would <span style="font-weight: bold">increase license fees for 4 of the 34 licenses</span> issued by the Pennsylvania Game Commission and <span style="font-weight: bold">decrease fees for 2 junior nonresident licenses</span>. The legislation will provide for the following increases:

Adult Resident Hunting Increase
Resident Antlerless Deer Increase

$19 to $25 July 1, 2014 &#159;
$5 to $12 July 1, 2014

$25 to $30 July 1, 2017 &#159;
$12 to $15 July 1, 2020

$30 to $35 July 1, 2020

Adult Nonresident Hunting Increase

$100 to $150

Junior Nonresident Hunting Decrease
&#159;
Hunting $40 to $20

Jr. NR Hunting and Furtaking $50 to $25

Resident Migratory Game Bird Hunting Increase

$2 to $5

<span style="font-weight: bold">In addition, this legislation will create a new adult resident combination license for hunting, furtaking, archery and muzzleloader.</span> <span style="font-style: italic">The fee for this license will be $67 beginning July 1, 2014, increasing to $72 on July 1, 2017, and to $77 on July 1, 2020.</span> This combination license will save hunters $5 on each license individually. A purchaser would then save $3 in vendor fees and another $2.10 in ALS point of sales fees for a total savings of $10.10.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Game Commission has not received a fee increase since 1998</span> and all income is derived from the sale of licenses, fines, federal reimbursement, sale of timber and natural resources and rights of ways. The Commission uses this funding to manage over 1.4 million acres of land, and 467 species of wildlife.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legi...;cosponId=11937

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
i fully support an increase, always have, BUT depending on today's CWD announcement, the timing may be bad for this to happen.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I support it but I am very doubtful it will pass.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
John S said:
Me to, we would loose the 200k first day gun hunters. And the raise would be less than what they make off those 1 day hunters, not counting all the clothes and supplies they buy the day before.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
John S said:
Me to, we would loose the 200k first day gun hunters. And the raise would be less than what they make off those 1 day hunters, not counting all the clothes and supplies they buy the day before.
You can't possible believe that 25% of our hunters would quit because of a reasonable license increase?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I have been involved in this, 10% has been the standard number not buying licenses. Normal and not necessarily a permanent refusal to buy. But ten percent the first year or so.

However, we have a year to year "churn" rate that is at that level each and every year already. Roughly 10% of hunters who name themselves as hunters and have participated in hunting in the last "x" number of years (I forget the number of years the survey stipulated - I think 5) didn't buy a license each year.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Alpine Shooter said:
John S said:

You can't possible believe that 25% of our hunters would quit because of a reasonable license increase?

Why The fields are loaded the first day of rifle, then probably 25% less from then on out. So i would say we have plenty 1 day hunters who go just because they used to hunt, but hunt very little any more.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bluetick said:
Since I have been involved in this, 10% has been the standard number not buying licenses. Normal and not necessarily a permanent refusal to buy. But ten percent the first year or so.

However, we have a year to year "churn" rate that is at that level each and every year already. Roughly 10% of hunters who name themselves as hunters and have participated in hunting in the last "x" number of years (I forget the number of years the survey stipulated - I think 5) didn't buy a license each year.
Thats 10% at the present license rate, at a higher rate we may loose more hunters as many have quit i do not care what they say there selling.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
If you want the PGC to do a better job they need funding. No other business of government can continue to operate for 15 years without a revenue increase. If $5.00 stops somebody from hunting, they're not hunters.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Lynnappelman said:
If you want the PGC to do a better job they need funding. No other business of government can continue to operate for 15 years without a revenue increase. If $5.00 stops somebody from hunting, they're not hunters.
couldn't agree more

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
They deserve a raise but I will say this if someone would ever post what it cost total to keep up the pheasant farms, to putting out the birds, and money spent on pheasant habitat work in 1 year most would say they do not deserve a raise. Being honest here I hunt the gamelands all those grassy fields hold nothing the stuff is to short, and not thick enough. All hunters pay for pheasants and how many good spots is there to hunt them? Adjoining properties are posted up so birds get bumped off the gamelands there gone. We have to little farming and the days of pheasants are over. They are a very large waste of hunters monies. I would love to know the true exact amount pheasants costs ALL hunters a year. I hope this guy lobbies for a pheasant stamp also. It is far past due. Even though companies get a raise they do not let waste keep going on, just because it worked 30 years ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No way we would lose that many hunters. My concern is that this is not a very good time to go for the increase.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Alpine Shooter said:
I would love to know the true exact amount pheasants costs ALL hunters a year.
I believe that amount is $3,769,814.00. That's what is listed as Game Farm Operations in the annual budget. Any other expenses incurred would fall under the WCOs regular work scope, and any habitat work benefits ALL wildlife; not just pheasants.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John, as history tells - there is never a good time for a license increase.

As it has been 1999 since the last, that bit of history seems to hold true.

Since you were thee then, what was the length between increases before the 1999 increase?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Im not necessarily opposed to an increase but since pheasant were mentioned, let's not forget there was a big increase in bird stocking this year due to extra $money from the Marcellus shale . Which btw , is fantastic . The question arises though, that with that extra revenue, if the license increase is really needed at this time . Prior to the gas drilling it was warranted, but if they are receiving the revenue they need and saw fit to increase pheasant stockings, than can they really argue the need to raise the fees? Id like to see some more number on how much they are really getting from the gas wells before Im convinced ....

1 - 20 of 83 Posts