The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow cool another deer farmer on this site, I am still kind of new here. Nice deer, 1 DEER FARMER, I hope you dont mind me sharing your post,Here are some pics of mine.
New bottle babies

some color babies I got this year. this gorgeous little buck

little doe
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/nelsondeerfarm/DSC_0603.jpg[/IMG]
one of last years breeders he was [email protected]

here he is this year so far, this pic was taken a week or two ago, you wouldnt believe how much nicer he is already, I am hoping for 190" I am just so happy to have him, he was born here in '07 what a blessing he is.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
If you guys don't mind me asking what exactly do you do with a deer farm? Is it like a cattle farm where you raise them for meat or what exactly? Nice pics by the way.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
nice pics guys, deerfarmer thats awesome that teddys starting split brows and hes only 1yr, hes gonna have lots of charicter when he gets older.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stogey, I enjoy the heck out of them, they are fun to watch all year. There meat can sell to resturants sometimes, or i can harvest and eat them myself or share with friends, but most sales are for antler reasons. Big bucks sell for breeders to other farmers, the bigger they are, the more they sale for. big buck offspring sale for breeders as well, weather it's a buck or a doe fawn. Some doe fawns sale for more than the bucks do. There are always those that dont get big enough to be breeders, those deer usually go other guys that have a couple hundred, or even a couple thousand acres that is under high fence. They sell hunts to those interested in harvesting a trophy. I know many on here do not agree with high fence hunts, and that is fine, its not for everyone. but please keep in mind high fences are not a bad thing. Those that do pay to hunt help those in the deer industry, and there are a lot of wonderful people in this industry. I never met a fellow deer farmer i didnt like, high fence also gives kids or adults with disabilites or terminal illness a chance to hunt and see animals that would be difficult to accomplish in the wild setting. I personally have a full time job, so my farm is small, I have 19 adult deer. i just enjoy them, its a nice hobby. Visitors are always welcome.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Thanks. Is it an expensive hobby? By "sales for antler reasons" do you mean you also sell the sheds? Or do you just sell the big buck breeder on the hoof?

·
Registered
44 Posts
on the hoof sales are what i was talking about, antlers sales themselves arent that great, dont sell for as much as they used to. It is as an expensive hobby as you let it be.if you put up a small pen, and get cheap deer its not too bad, deer dont eat half of what a cow does, but the downside is you will not be able to sell your deer easily if they are'nt quality genetics, so the return income just isnt there. You can also get a few acres fenced in, and/or spend $15,000 on a breeder buck and get some good quality does for a couple thousand each and you will get a decent amount back on fawn sales, but its still going to take a few years(probably 5 or more) to pay back start up cost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
on the hoof sales are what i was talking about, antlers sales themselves arent that great, dont sell for as much as they used to. It is as an expensive hobby as you let it be.if you put up a small pen, and get cheap deer its not too bad, deer dont eat half of what a cow does, but the downside is you will not be able to sell your deer easily if they are'nt quality genetics, so the return income just isnt there. You can also get a few acres fenced in, and/or spend 2,500- $15,000 or more on a breeder buck and get some good quality does for a couple thousand each and you will get a decent amount back on fawn sales, but its still going to take a few years(probably 5 or more) to pay back start up cost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts