The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do with your pelts? Iv sent several to usafoxx and had them done pro. it is somwhat exspensive though, i just skinn then. trim fat and salt them, im looking for an easy alterative. also i need tios on case skinng i never get the head or ears and its frustrating. note iv only done this a haandfull of times.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also want to know how your fleshing them, or what to expect when doing it.. I never get anything off while fleshing is that normal? I apologise if thos info is eleswhere.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You shouldn't need to flesh a fox much, if at all. Buy or make a board and stretch and dry it instead of salting. Fox are probably the easiest furbearer to put up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tanning a fox/ coyote is super easy... Google mckenzie taxidermy. Buy their mckenzie tan kit. Follow their directions. Fox are very lean and have thin hides so the only fleshing you would need to do is to remove any meat left on the hide after skinning. You might wanna split the lips. Your choice I u wanna turn the ears. So I would:
1. Skin (then remove any red meat left on hide)
2. Split lips
3. Salt overnight
4. Pickle hide
5. Quick flesh again if you notice anything u misses first time around
6. Neutralize pickle
7. Rinse well
8. Apply Mackenzie tan and let sit (follow directions from kit)
9. Wash well
10. Apply tanning oil
11. As hide starts to dry, break it over the back of a chair or a fora or something
12. Enjoy your pelt.
It's a bit of a process to tan, but really easy, especially such thin skinned animals. Any other questions check out taxidermy.net/forums. Read the posts, use the "search" button to find any old archived posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry for the typo's, but u get the gist. Try and tan a couple at a time to save on supplies. You can salt/pickle/tan at least a couple fox with the amt of stuff that comes in the kit

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, it seems like im pretty close, I was worried about my fleshing... Because i wasnt getting any thing but the obvious meat and fat if there even was some. I was just salting them untill dry and then tossin them in a box. So im not firmiliar with pickling the hide? what is involved? I apriciate your advice, and iv already got a box of salty dry hides so the hard part is over... Im going to order that tanning kit. Iv got a couple squirels to start with. The company I mentioned Usafoxx.com is an excellent company aswell. I always send my doe pelts there for hair on tanning its only 50... but if you send various pelts it really adds up. I hope to be good at tanning, it would be a huge moneysaver.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also are to using those steel strechers that they sell, or are you cutting your pelts open and using small nails around the edges? I really like case skinned pelts, like trappers do. I cant ever get the skin over the head I cut the front feet off and stand on the back legs and pull but more often i end up ripping it inhalf or somthing so i cut the pelt at the neck, i guess i need to slow down and use my knife more but its a pain when you dont have a way to hang it buy the back legs; like the do with those hooks. I would love to get my pelts with the head ears and all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts