The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we want to take out the electric
fireplace the previous owners put in and put in either wood or pellett stove. there is an existing stove pipe/chimney properly lined in a teracota sleeve exiting the roof. however they put in a wall in the corner to build the electic unit in...the outside walls are brick with plaster over them but the new wall is just drywall. so im guessing i will have to box this area off with a heat shield to keep the heat from going up this basically closet that is formed behind the wall. im young enough to cut my own wood but that takes time from hunting and fishing so maybe a pellett stove would be better. our house is pretty small so i think a 1000sq ft burner would do if i can find one that small. anyone got an opinion on the matter and where to get one?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Mallard, there are benefits and drawbacks of both.
My opinion: either will fit your needs. I would get all the options available (blower, thermostat, battery back up etc). Please make certain the area near heat source is properly constructed. If you are going to burn very often get the wood burner. Wood will be cheaper than pellets as long as you already have the tools to process firewood. Do you have room to process and store the firewood?
If you are going to burn infrequently get the pellet.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have the room to store and cut , but need the log splitter, a better saw and all the goodies to go with. the wife has me talked into a pellet stove now. we have oil fired hot water boiler with baseboard heat now and wanted to cut out the oil cost and we like fire. so we will use the stove as our main heat source. problem is when they reconstructed the room they put this cattycorned wall up for the electric fireplace and now fits in the way of an easy install. want to keep the wall but that means i have to box the opening off and probably put up fireprotection against it to keep it safe.our house is one floor, fairly open so probalby around 1000 sq ft will heat us up nice. the no fire no power is giving me second thoughts on the pellett. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
On pellets, ck around for suppliers in the summertime to pre-order at a reduced price. Pellets have less ash, and are all-around cleaner in the house. Wood is cheaper and doesnt require electricity to burn.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Been heating with pellets for 15 or so years now. Only heat source. Don't let the power issue sway you. How often do you lose power and you can always get a generator to run things. Pellet stove does not take much current.

Pellets are way more easier on you and the wife. Pour pellets in the hopper and it will keep burning until you tell it to stop. With a quality pellet, empty the ash bucked 2-3 times a winter. Runs all the time and maintains a constant temperature.

W/ pellet stove, you can also run the exhaust pipe through a wall, chimney not needed.
If you do you the chimney you can purchase and install a chimney liner on your own. I did mine a couple years ago to decrease the diameter that was in the original chimney. Real easy to install, plenty of resources to buy and research on internet.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
If I was not so deeply invested in firewood processing. I would seriously look at wood pellets or rice coal.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If I didn't have the two chain saws,log splitter,and 10 cords of firewood I would definitely be looking into going with pellet stove.
Getting to old to be busting my butt gathering firewood for home let alone camp!
Them oak logs are heavy

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If I could get free fire wood, I would still buy and use pellets. Constant heat, easy to start, safe to use. I had a chimney fire with the wood stove. I don't think it will happen with a pellet stove. You can get them with a thermostat that will start and stop by themselves.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
How much would a pellet stove cost, enough for a 1500 sq ft home, how much to operate for pellets.ball park..

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You can get a real nice stove $2500-3000. 3 tons of pellets at about $250 a ton. You can get them cheaper if you buy during the summer.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Bucksnort is correct on the pricing. I will say again to get all the options available. Battery etc.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
People that burn pellets like to throw money away.........you can get a coal stoker stove for the same or less money as a pellet stove, pellets and rice coal are within 10 dollars of one another a ton, and a ton of coal has roughly twice the BTUS as a ton of pellets......

So cost per BTU of anthracite is approximately half the cost per BTU of wood pellets.......

Seems like it should be a no brainer, yet all of these people are burning wood pellets

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
How much maintenance on a coal stoker? I have no idea, asking.
How much dust and ash?

My pellet stove is in my living room. Clean the stove and empty the ash bucket about twice a heating season. How does that compare with a coal stoker?

I am sure I will be looking to replace my pellet stove soon as it is about 15 years old. Maybe I need to check out a coal stoker???

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
TPlank said:
How much dust and ash?

My pellet stove is in my living room. Clean the stove and empty the ash bucket about twice a heating season. How does that compare with a coal stoker?

I am sure I will be looking to replace my pellet stove soon as it is about 15 years old. Maybe I need to check out a coal stoker???
Not much maintenance,

I clean my stove before I fire it for the year, then it goes until the next heating season until I clean it again........Anthracite is clean heat, all you get in the stove is fly ash buildup for the most part, which is just powdery.....

As far as the ashes, I empty mine once a day, but it could go several days between emptying it, and I also fill the hopper up with coal once a day, and it could usualy go a few days also, as long as it isnt bitter cold...

I have it hooked to a thermostat, so it just idles down, and burn just enough to keep it going if it doesn't call for heat.....

Anthractie is fairly clean, you get a little bit of dust if it is super dry coal, but not much.......most coal yards also sell it oiled if you want it, so it doesn't get any dust then....

Mine is in my living room also

·
Registered
982 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
TPlank said:
How much dust and ash?

Not much maintenance,

I clean my stove before I fire it for the year, then it goes until the next heating season until I clean it again........Anthracite is clean heat, all you get in the stove is fly ash buildup for the most part, which is just powdery.....

As far as the ashes, I empty mine once a day, but it could go several days between emptying it, and I also fill the hopper up with coal once a day, and it could usualy go a few days also, as long as it isnt bitter cold...

I have it hooked to a thermostat, so it just idles down, and burn just enough to keep it going if it doesn't call for heat.....

Anthractie is fairly clean, you get a little bit of dust if it is super dry coal, but not much.......most coal yards also sell it oiled if you want it, so it doesn't get any dust then....

Mine is in my living room also

In my other house I had a coal stove and loved it. Kept it in my unfinished basement(but insulated) and cut an opening in the floor above it with a small fan blowing the hot air up through grating into the first floor. Nice even heat. Put a gate on the stairway door and always had a lot of heat coming up the stairs. I had to add coal twice a day (no hopper) and had to empty it once a day. The only thing I didn't like was the ash pile at the end of the heating season. Not like wood ash.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts