The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are pellet rifles legal to use for varmints such as groundhogs, etc?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Agreed. I believe it is either about the ignition system, or lack there of, or perhaps available energy/caliber limitations, which are quickly surpassing some centerfire balistics. My CDT tuned Big Cat will easilly take woodchuck or racoon sized game to around 40 yards with dealy accuracy. <span style="font-weight: bold">(To be completely clear, I have not done this in the state of PA!!)</span> And its on the extreme LOW END of the power scale as far and a lot of high performance air rifles go! My next gun will be a big bore PCP...at least .357 cal. More than enough energy (in excess of 250 ft pnds) to cleanly take anything up to coyotes with rediculous accuracy.

·
Registered
25,523 Posts
Perhaps, but if you're using <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> air rifle to kill wildlife in PA, you're subject to citation.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
DennyF said:
Perhaps, but if you're using any air rifle to kill wildlife in PA, you're subject to citation.
Absolutely! My point is that there are many models out there that are more than capable of taking even medium, thin-skinned game up to hogs and even deer. Not sure how many states allow them. I know Texas allows air guns for hunting exotics and hog, but no regulated game species and I know for a fact a large-bore projectile from a good PCP will do a number on something as big as a whitetail, namely Axis deer and I have seen what a big-bore PCP is capable of first hand on such animals and I gotta say I was impressed. Maybe someday right?...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Strut10 said:
Ciscokid55 said:
Are pellet rifles legal to use for varmints such as groundhogs, etc?
They got it right.

No.

Nobody can tell us why they are not. But no.
A little birdy up in the ranks told me they're not legal because of what the general public views as being 'ethical".. Yup.. a .25 caliber airgun capable of 60ftlbs isn't ethical, but going out and shooting something with a 22 short is

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
The general population has grown up with the notion air guns are a kids toy.They don't understand muzzle velocity and muzzle energy,like a hunter does.A 22 short exits a firearm so it is considered more effective to a person not versed in ballistics.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
So the PGC legislates by consensus rather than fact ??

They would do well in the global warming arena.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Imagine a 127 grain HP leaving the bbl of a .357 big bore PCP at around 1000 fps. You're looking at in excess of 287 foot pounds of muzzle energy. A 30 grain .22 lr bullet leaving the muzzle at the high end of 1700 fps is only generating about 192 foot pounds, with a MUCH smaller melpat and less penetration to boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts