The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it was legal to use them in flintlock season. I don't use them, but was poking around tonight. I can't find that listed in the regs anywhere. I Found:

(b) Flintlock muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

Note the "firearm must have open sights".

Am I missing something?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
2007 Press Releases.pdf
... or larger. The Board also gave preliminary approval to allow the use of aperture or peep sights during the flintlock muzzleloader season; *

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The digest is not the law. Says so on page 7. The regulations still say open sights.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. <span style="font-weight: bold">The firearm must have open sights </span>and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

If the actual language of the regulation says peep sights are permitted, I don't see it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Put a v peep in, it's open and works good. RMC makes it.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Sounnds like who ever wrote the regs are talkin out of 2 sides of their mouth cause I think we all know that those plastic trinkets that are used by some were not around prior to 1800.Now I know syn stock guns weren,t either but were talkin projectiles and only the projectiles prior to 1800 should be legal.Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't need a peep yet just curious about the regs since I heard about the "press release" a few years back but when looking at the regs I was surprised to see it did not reflect what I heard. Either way I hunt with open sights and have no plans of changing yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pg.45 Right column.1/2 way down page. Under =Flintlock Muzzleloader Season=Peep Sights Are Permited(last sentance) I shoot a peep and love it. alot quicker to line up on deer especialy when they are moving.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The digest contains many errors. It says right on page 7 that it is not the law. There is nothing in the <span style="font-weight: bold">published actual regulations </span>that says peep sights are legal for flint lock deer season.

The digest says that ANY muzzleloader may be used during the regular firearms seasons, but double barrel muzzleloaders are not legal, matchlocks are not legal, wheel locks are not legal, needle fire muzzleloaders are not legal. In other words beware the digest it has several errors.

·
Registered
919 Posts
On pge 45

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel long
gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using single
projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights. Peep
sights are permitted.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
At a sportsman show early this year a WCO gave me a real thick manual that he says THEY use for the law.He said THAT is the book that keeps you out of trouble.That book is alot more thorough.I gave it to my BIL.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
It is interesting that the PC issued a press release saying it gave preliminary approval to using peep sights. Did it ever have a final vote? If so, why weren't the regulations changed?

·
Registered
919 Posts
From Title 58

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use manmade materials attached to the hammer or frizzen to create sparks.

(ii) Use telescopic sights.

(iii) Use or possess multiple projectile ammunition or ammunition other than required by section 2322(a)(4) of the act (relating to prohibited devices and methods).

(iv) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

They replaced the V notch sight only restriction to open sight thus including peeps

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
BlackBruin said:
Put a v peep in, it's open and works good. RMC makes it.

I have been kicking around getting one of these for my .54-------Is it better than the traditional open sight??
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
"They replaced the V notch sight only restriction to open sight thus including peeps"

Except that peep sights are not OPEN sights. They are included in iron sights or metallic sights, but under most match rules open sights means the sight must be open, i.e. not a closed loop.

I don't have access to the NRA rules book, but under every NMLRA sanctioned match I am aware of, open sights, excludes peep sights, receiver sights and shades.

The williams gun sight company web sight lists open and peep sights as two separate classes of sights.

These are the NMLRA rules and open sights clearly do not include peep sights.
SIGHTS
5010–OPEN FRONT SIGHT–May be a blade, pin-head, post or barleycorn. The
match program will state if it can be shaded or not. A globe-style front sight with
a post blade is considered a open front sight with a sun shade.
5020–OPEN REAR SIGHT–All rear open sights must be at least six inches
forward of the breech end of the barrel. They must have a U, V, or rectangular
opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. A buckhorn sight is legal
provided the horns have a minimum of 1/4-inch opening at the top. Sun shades
may or may not be permitted, as specified in the match program.
Fixed rear open sights may have no mechanical means of adjusting the elevation or windage, and therefore are non-adjustable in nature.
Adjustable rear open sights may have a mechanical means of adjusting elevation and windage.
5030–DEEP NOTCHED OR SLOTTED, (a.k.a “FRIENDSHIP CHEATER”) REAR OPEN SIGHT–Used on heavy bench rifle matches only.
This sight is actually a modified rear peep sight that may be mounted any place on the barrel, at the shooter’s option. There is no center hole
in the rear peep sight, but a narrow slot is cut in the top of a sighting blade or disk attached to the adjustable eye piece. The slot must be no wider at
the bottom than it is at the top. This sight may be used with any legal front open sight, including a globe with a post.
5040–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) FRONT –AMS front sights may be any open front sight with or without shades, or globe peep sights, at the
shooter’s option. A colored filter, without magnification, may be attached.
5050–ANY METALLIC SIGHT (AMS) REAR–Any sight, open, or peep, including tube sights, not containing a system of lenses. A colored filter,
without magnification, may be attached.

5055–DIOPTER LENS ATTACHMENTS–A diopter lens not containing an aiming point may be attached to either the front or the rear sight in
matches that allow the use of any metallic sights. No more than one diopter lens may be used at a time.
A diopter lens is defined as a precision ground optical lens in the aperture, with means of adjusting the focus to suit the eyesight of the shooter.
The power of a diopter lens is a power of sight correction, and not a power of magnification and is to be disregarded.
5060–ANY SIGHT–Any sight without restriction as to material or construction, including telescopes.
5070–IGNITION–Unless the match rules state otherwise percussion guns may use a sealed type ignition with a percussion cap.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts