The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one use a peep site on their flintlock. I have a Lyman Deerslayer and I was considering switching to a peep sight. I am having issues with adjusting the factory sight and I thought this may be a good reason to try out a peep sight. How accuarte are they.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I have Williams peeps on both my RMC's, they're made to fit the flats on the barrel. Had them installed at back of barrel, centered adjacent the touch hole, which creates a ghost ring when you unscrew the center ring, sight in ring. It also obscures some of the flash from the pan. You will need a gun smith to install them, new holes need drilled and tapped.Cost will be around $50.00 for sight and another $50.00 for mounting.
Very accurate sight system.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have the Lyman (I think it's the 66) on my Thompson Center Hawken. There was no drilling involved. Since I love peep sights I put mine on the year they made peep sights legal.

They do block the frizzen flash so I don't do the flinch like I use to.

Here are some pics of the installed sight:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got back from Dixons in Kempton and got the Lyman peep sight. It is salty at $90.00 installed but it is the best. They have others from $39.00 to $69.00 but the Lyman is far better. I will be sighting it in at 7:30 tomorrow. I only need/want to fill one more tag in an area full of deer so I am enjoying the process.

I want to thank everyone for advice and the pictures were great. The guys at Dixons thank you.

Fred

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Yeah.....I think today they are about $90. I paid about $80 two years ago. But....I'll die with this site on this gun....yeah....fer sure!! Worth every penny if your gonna do flintin for say.....the next ten years!!

Dave

·
Banned
900 Posts
My wife actually has the receipt from the purchase of my Lyman peep. Paid $72.85 from Midwest shooters supply last Christmas.

I really like that It is removable and does not lose any accuracy when put back on. Simple too. I changed to a larger aperature and my dim light issues (not being able to see the front sight) has been cured. That and brightening the front FO sight helped tremendously.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of my RMC with a Williams peep.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just put a Lyman 57SML on my left handed deerstalker flintlock. Ordered it from Natchez shooting supply. Took me longer to pull it out of the box and read the instructions than to install it. Gun is already pretapped. I will be sighting it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
If they make a peep that mounts back near the tang without you having to drill holes, that would be the way to go.
I could of mounted the Williams where the original open sight was, but I wanted something closer to my eyes to take advantage of the ghost ring effect .

·
Registered
21,577 Posts
I have a v-peep on my RMC and a Williams peep on my Omega x7.If I ever put my renegade back in action,I'll most likely put a Williams on it.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have peeps on both the front and rear of a older T/C Hawken percussion, I will try to get a pic tomorrow, the front has a wide selection of inserts. Everything from a post to amber peep to actual peep. The rear has two different inserts one has a very small hole for target shooting the other larger for hunting. Didn't have to do any drilling, I installed these in the middle 70's, if I remember correctly they are made by Lyman. I used this rifle, with these sights, in competition for many years, everything from paper to moving targets and they work great.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I put a 57SML peep on my Deerstalker. Shot it today and can get a 3 inch group at 50 yards. Works great and easy to see through.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I put the t/c peep on my deerstalker. It bolts right up to the lyman tang.They have them at Matt's shooting supply for 50-60 bucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.