The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a Long Rifle. I see Tradtions and Pedersoli on the web. I dont know anything about Pedersoli other than they are an Italian maker. Any one shoot a Pedersoli and how do you like them?

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Back it up a tad first.

What are you looking for in a rifle? What catches your eye?

Liekwise, have you shouldered any yet? You might be surprised at what does and doesn't fit you well.

I'd give those points consideration before going any deeper into this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have hunted with a TC that I built from a kit. I like the looks of the Kentucy rifles. I do want to hunt with it. I had a CVA long gun, but I could not get it to pattern. Shots were all over the place, even on bags. Definatly a flinter.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
For what the Pedersoli guns are selling for,for a little bit more money you could get a Barn gun built and have twice the rifle. I think I saw a nice flintlock in the classifieds.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
sparkchaser said:
For what the Pedersoli guns are selling for,for a little bit more money you could get a Barn gun built and have twice the rifle. I think I saw a nice flintlock in the classifieds.
I was thinking the same thing. Heck, there's some guns hanging from the ceiling at Dixons for barely more than the Pedersoli rifles sell for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to have one of the rifles you mentioned but I am now retired and have to budget. I saw Pedersoli rifles for around $800 to $900. Are the local (Pa) rifles around that price? Again I want it to be a good looker as well as a shooter. And I appreciate the guidance. Thank You and Merry Christmas

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I saw long rifles at Dixon from local builders that were 950-1050. Obviously he had many that went higher, but rifles in that range were there.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I would suggest waiting till the hub-bub dies down from the season, say mid-Feb or later, and call and tell them what you're looking for. I wouldn't make that kind of drive without knowing something was there that you might want.

You could go to the 18th Century Artisan Show in Lewisburg in early Feb, too, which is a bit closer for you than Dixon's, and you'll see tons of rifles and get a chance to get hands-on and see what you really take a shine to.

If you're going to be making a big investment, my guess is you only want to do this once....best to make the most of it!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
And quick addition to the above:

I live 20 min from Dixon's. I will be there a lot for the next few months, or longer, as I keep tinkering with loads and such for my new rifle. If I know what you're looking for, I can keep an eye out for it when I'm out there.

What caliber(s) are you interested in?

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
You're in a good caliber range. Many guns there now are 45 and 50 cal. Some 54's, only a very few bigger than 54 or smaller than 45.

I'm thinking of a rifle I saw, it was iron mounted I believe, and was either 45 or 50 cal and was $950. Very plain but elegant rifle. Looked very trim and nimble.

I'll wander out there before New Year's Day I'm sure, and I'll check it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Never been a fan, but they do make good stuff. Just had bad experiences with deer processing.

Maybe I'll see ya at Dixon?

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Had to run to Dixon today when the leather cord on my powder horn let go this morning. Oops...lol.

Two possible rifles....a 36 cal, not sure on style, made by George Keiffer, $960. Another was a schimmel, forget the maker, in 45 cal, same price. There were a smattering of 50-cals, too, and several guns is the 1050-1350 range. It was BUSY today when I was there around 1pm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts